Leaning seedling and first feed

• Thread starter KeeperOfKeys
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

So my 13 day (from popping above soil) seedling is leaning. So I bought some wire yesterday, propped it up, then pointed it towards the fan to help hold it up. Now it looks like the bottom photo. Do I need more support? Is it running from the light? (25 inches away, 30% dimmed, and it was 200 something ppm) is it too much from the fan?

Also, I have a stunted seedling that's only a day behind (but is only about 1 1/2 inches tall and is just working on the second set of leaves. Also thinking the yellow was from previously overwatering, but I've chilled now ). My nutrient line says to give first feeding at 2 weeks. Should I feed the stunted seedling with the other one? Or wait, since it seems developmentally behind?

Leaning seedling and first feed
Leaning seedling and first feed 2
Newty

Newty

Don't let the fan blow on it, it could cause a lot of damage to seedlings/young leaves.
I would dim your light back a little more until they start developing more and you get them transplanted.

How's your temps and humidity?

What soil are you growing in? Nutrients probably are not needed this early, depending on the soil you may have enough nutes in it to keep the plant sustained for a bit. The cotyledons losing color is a good indicator that it's time for nutes.

If you're having a hard time supporting that plant, you can transplant it and can fill with soil pretty much up to the cotyledons on the plant, more of the stem will be in the soil to help support it.

KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

Don't let the fan blow on it, it could cause a lot of damage to seedlings/young leaves.
I would dim your light back a little more until they start developing more and you get them transplanted.
So I know about the pointing the fan on seedlings to help strengthen their stalk. I couldn't find any info on how I should set it up. Should the seedling be swaying at all?
How's your temps and humidity?
I'm struggling big time with humidity. Temps are generally 75-85 depending on when the time of day. Humidity is a whopping 19-30%. 🙃 I did buy a humidifier, but I can't afford the amount of Distilled water it requires (which I guess I didn't realize). The grow space is in my basement, and I have the setup in my shower currently. I haven't figured out a "door" yet.
What soil are you growing in? Nutrients probably are not needed this early, depending on the soil you may have enough nutes in it to keep the plant sustained for a bit. The cotyledons losing color is a good indicator that it's time for nutes.
That is an awesome indicator, thank you. I'm growing in promix hp, perlite, & worm castings.

If you're having a hard time supporting that plant, you can transplant it and can fill with soil pretty much up to the cotyledons on the plant, more of the stem will be in the soil to help support it.
My next step was going to be gently tying it to an orangewood stick. Would you try this first? Is it too young to transplant?

jetbtkng

jetbtkng

when they stretch like that i bury the stem when i transplant it, leave about an inch & half to 2 inches of stem exposed, plant will be fine,

K

Kamisama

Transplant her and cover more the stem, that should help with balancing. Then u can have oscillating fun on the low lvl on it too to strenghten the stem. Some silica should help even more.

What light do u use? Info like 25 inches away, 30% dimmed doesnt help unless we can figure out ppfd somehow but it was clearly stretching too much and due to that stem couldnt hold it properly. So, I assume light at 30% dimmed could be circa 18inches up to 20...

PPM could be 350-400, its not that small anymore.

First seedling still low PPM for sure, u r overfeeding it based on leaves. Whats the ppm, PH of flush?

Do u use coco?

KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

this is what i did when my seedling strectch too much i cut a toilet paper roll and put it over the seedling
View attachment 2152856
That's awesome! I was able to jimmy rig that up immediately!
Transplant her and cover more the stem, that should help with balancing. Then u can have oscillating fun on the low lvl on it too to strenghten the stem. Some silica should help even more.
Yeah I have silica, I planned on using it with the first feeding. Would you transplant now, or wait...?
What light do u use? Info like 25 inches away, 30% dimmed doesnt help unless we can figure out ppfd somehow but it was clearly stretching too much and due to that stem couldnt hold it properly. So, I assume light at 30% dimmed could be circa 18inches up to 20...
Kingbrite 320 watt.

My light took a while to come in, and I was using a cheaper temporary light. It had the cheaper light less than a week I would say.
PPM could be 350-400, its not that small anymore.

First seedling still low PPM for sure, u r overfeeding it based on leaves. Whats the ppm, PH of flush?

Do u use coco?
I use Promix hp, perlite, and worm castings. I haven't done any feeding so far. But I was informed in a previous post of mine, I was overwatering. The yellow bit was about all that was showing on the shorter one when that was happening. I'm thinking that's what that was from? But I'm clearly bombing it, so who knows. Haha

K

Kamisama

That's awesome! I was able to jimmy rig that up immediately!

Yeah I have silica, I planned on using it with the first feeding. Would you transplant now, or wait...?

Kingbrite 320 watt.

My light took a while to come in, and I was using a cheaper temporary light. It had the cheaper light less than a week I would say.

I use Promix hp, perlite, and worm castings. I haven't done any feeding so far. But I was informed in a previous post of mine, I was overwatering. The yellow bit was about all that was showing on the shorter one when that was happening. I'm thinking that's what that was from? But I'm clearly bombing it, so who knows. Haha
I d transplant the leaning one only but seems like u ve fixed it differently.

Do u have ppfd map for your light?

PRO-MIX HP is formulated in a pH range of 5.2-6.2. Once product is opened, crops planted and watered, limestone is activated and pH will reach 5.8-6.2 within 7-10 days.

Worm casting is hot, that could increase your PH. Depends how much u ve added.

KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

I d transplant the leaning one only but seems like u ve fixed it differently.
I figured it's a good fix for the moment (and for the future) But if transplanting is a better option/makes more sense I will do it!
Do u have ppfd map for your light?

PRO-MIX HP is formulated in a pH range of 5.2-6.2. Once product is opened, crops planted and watered, limestone is activated and pH will reach 5.8-6.2 within 7-10 days.

Worm casting is hot, that could increase your PH. Depends how much u ve added.
I believe I did 60% promix, 10% perlite, 30% worm castings.

The attached photo? Or from photone?
It's the 12 inch one

Screenshot 20240418 163429 Alibabacom

Latest posts

Top Bottom