Learning to Read the Trichomes

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Greetings Cultivators!

I am nearing the end of my 3rd grow and wanting to get some feedback from fellow farmers on reading the trichomes, and really the plants themselves, for harvest. I think I harvested my first grow early and I screwed up my 2nd. Neither grow did I get very good looks at the trichomes because I could not use the jewelers loupe very well. However, I just bought a digital microscope that takes the best look at the trichomes I have had yet, so I am learning how to read them and would appreciate any and all feedback.

I'm growing in soil under a Spider Farmer SE3000 in a 3x3 tent. I have a current grow diary here-

I have 4 plants in the tent, 2 Purple Zkittlez and 2 Crescendo, both strains by Ethos Genetics. Ethos says the Purple Zkittlez is 9 weeks and Crescendo is 9-10 weeks. Today marks day 60 since I flipped to 12/12 and the end of week 9 will be the end of the day Monday. I am seeing some amber on sugar leaves but not a lot on the calyxes themselves and maybe even some clear? I dunno, my eye is untrained so what say you?

Purple Zkittlez 1

IMG 0409

IMG 0411
IMG 0412
IMG 0413
IMG 0414

Purple Zkittlez 2

IMG 0417
IMG 0416

IMG 0419
IMG 0418

Crescendo 1

IMG 0422
IMG 0421

IMG 0423

Crescendo 2

IMG 0425
IMG 0426
IMG 0427
IMG 0428
IMG 0424

I can post some full flower shots if necessary and I do have a current update at my grow diary for these beautiful girls. Of note, there are still white pistils and they are still drinking their normal amounts of water, have not slowed down on that. Also, I am not sure exactly if some of these, especially on the Crescendo 2 are amber on sugar leaves or not and if that counts or not. These particular shots were small sugar leaves near the very top of one of the flowers.....do these count as bud trichomes or sugar leaf trichomes?

Thanks for looking!

IMG 0410
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Agreed....the beauty of these plants never ceases to amaze me.

H

hawkman

generally harvest when there is a 50-50 mix of amber and milky (you will always have some clear) now with pistals havest them the same 50 05 mix -- 50% amber/brown and 50% clear some say 20% brown is whenthay are ready --- Harvesting is a personal thing - some also say that to reach the highest thc amounts harvest when trichomes are 10% amber -- a good rule of thumb is that trichomes trun amber at the rate of 5% per week example: when one sees a few amber trichomes it's time to start your 2 week flush ( if you flush)

mancorn

mancorn

These trichomes look earlier to me and I’d wait until you see the bracts get so fat you think “damn did I fuck up and accidentally pollinate the plant?”

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the great input!

So would you consider this a sugar leaf? It's located near the top of a flower and I guess technically, it's a sugar leaf, but I dunno....

img_0426-jpg.1234561

steamroller

steamroller

Yea leaf .
It is hard to look in-between but it is the bud [body] that counts .
One of my Crescendos is rock hard and the other the only fluffy bud in my room !
I am 95% locked in to chopping mine today .Just letting them get their last light .

mancorn

mancorn

Technically it’s a leaf, but with all those trichomes I’d guess it’s going to end up in the smoke pile (as opposed to compost pile). When people talk about checking bud bracts as opposed to leaves it’s because the majority of the leaf is trimmed off (but turns red first). But you really just want to be monitoring whatever you’re going to keep. So a very tight trim I won’t go on a leaf, but if it’s a loose trim then I’d take these leaves into consideration.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Greetings Cultivators!

I am nearing the end of my 3rd grow and wanting to get some feedback from fellow farmers on reading the trichomes, and really the plants themselves, for harvest. I think I harvested my first grow early and I screwed up my 2nd. Neither grow did I get very good looks at the trichomes because I could not use the jewelers loupe very well. However, I just bought a digital microscope that takes the best look at the trichomes I have had yet, so I am learning how to read them and would appreciate any and all feedback.

I'm growing in soil under a Spider Farmer SE3000 in a 3x3 tent. I have a current grow diary here-

I have 4 plants in the tent, 2 Purple Zkittlez and 2 Crescendo, both strains by Ethos Genetics. Ethos says the Purple Zkittlez is 9 weeks and Crescendo is 9-10 weeks. Today marks day 60 since I flipped to 12/12 and the end of week 9 will be the end of the day Monday. I am seeing some amber on sugar leaves but not a lot on the calyxes themselves and maybe even some clear? I dunno, my eye is untrained so what say you?

Purple Zkittlez 1

View attachment 1234512
View attachment 1234514View attachment 1234515View attachment 1234516View attachment 1234517

Purple Zkittlez 2

View attachment 1234521View attachment 1234520

View attachment 1234523View attachment 1234522

Crescendo 1

View attachment 1234525View attachment 1234524

View attachment 1234526

Crescendo 2

View attachment 1234528View attachment 1234529View attachment 1234530View attachment 1234531View attachment 1234527

I can post some full flower shots if necessary and I do have a current update at my grow diary for these beautiful girls. Of note, there are still white pistils and they are still drinking their normal amounts of water, have not slowed down on that. Also, I am not sure exactly if some of these, especially on the Crescendo 2 are amber on sugar leaves or not and if that counts or not. These particular shots were small sugar leaves near the very top of one of the flowers.....do these count as bud trichomes or sugar leaf trichomes?

Thanks for looking!
I like to use this photo for a reference, it is definitely personal preference but I wait until 10-20% amber
C5581757 2C19 4A16 8D13 7C162C98D098

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
the sugaeleaves will mature differently than the inflorescence, so just look at the buds themselves.
also the lower parts wont mature as quickly as the tops so you want to draw an average for your whole plant
growing for most dry mass you will get quite some amber as calyxes tend to bulk up during the last weeks

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

I'd say they're right about perfectly milky. Maybe a tad early. But ive had bad luck from leaving things go.

Then again I'm speaking outdoors. One extra week can take things from perfect to fully ruined with a bit of luck.

growsince79

growsince79

generally harvest when there is a 50-50 mix of amber and milky (you will always have some clear) now with pistals havest them the same 50 05 mix -- 50% amber/brown and 50% clear some say 20% brown is whenthay are ready --- Harvesting is a personal thing - some also say that to reach the highest thc amounts harvest when trichomes are 10% amber -- a good rule of thumb is that trichomes trun amber at the rate of 5% per week example: when one sees a few amber trichomes it's time to start your 2 week flush ( if you flush)
Every plant/strain is different. I never saw one that was 50% amber trichs and 50% white hairs at the same time. Most if my strains don't get amber trichs until the bud is done.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks everyone for you valuable insights! Let the Purple Zkittlez go to day 64 and was seeing more amber so I went ahead and chopped them. I am letting the Crescendo gals go a bit longer and keeping an eye on them.

I posted some photos at my grow journal here for those interested.

Top Bottom