Learning what NOT to do..

• Thread starter rural hick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rural hick

rural hick

I have made every mistake and somehow not learned from it. I was wanting to get where I could at least, fine tune some good growing.
here is some of the most diappointing things i have done using my logic..
I had gotten some C99 and stressed them from the heat and almost lost them, trying to ween them into the sunlight. 1 hour a day for a couple of days in direct sunlight, and I saw no benefit so me thinks 2 hours a day in direct sunlight would show some benefit. fail. The heat here (500 miles north of the gulf of mexico) was just too much. Even at one hour direct. They did sit in the shade for the rest of the days during this weening.
Shortly after that I got some White Widow Max, and since the days were cooler (still hot for time of season), I would try it again..fail.

So..
I bring this question to the forum..
I probably have overwatering too..and since I feel like a fool for doing the 2 same things twice, and this time may be consecutive successfully progressively worse.. what is the best method to get seedlings out of heat stress AND overwatering?
1. Would H2O2 help now, even tho they are over watered? How much can I go with the H2O2? Doesn't
H2O2 also help with eating away root rot?
2. Super Thrive? How much can I go with that?

I am using organic compost in 20 oz styrofoam cups, with 3 big holes at the side bottom, 500 watts CFL mixed with 220 watts T5. But I did the dumbest, like I said and it may be worse again, by taking them outside into the heat. Even tho I thought it was cooler, the plants said it was to hot and I didn't listen.

BTW. Out of the first stress; I got 9 good healthy C99
out of 10 plants. Of that 6 are female. So that stress had nothing to do with all being male or a under a 50/50 % chance.
The C99 are all doing well. Sorta not as bushy as I am used to, but real big stems and dark green, and show progress every day. They live outside since showing sex (not all day direct sun) and do really well.

L

Lost

A few things...

The plants did not like the outside because of the difference in energy (light). You went from a dimly lit room to the outside basically. The plant has a much narrow range of tolerance so either you need to add more light inside, or shade them outside.

...but putting them outside exposes them to pests and when you bring them inside you contaminate the inside.. Hard to fix that one..

Bigger pots will help with your watering issue. H202 kills living things period. Use a little and it will help turn the tide of a bacterial battle.. Too much and you damage the roots. Kapiche?

You talk about superthrive but not what nutes you may or may not be using...

rural hick

rural hick

I need to concern my seedling. yes H2O2 kills every decay. how hot can I get H2O2? only reason I ask is because I need O2 in the already overwatered compost.. can I not re-flush with H2O2? and spuer thrive?

B

Bobby Smith

The best thing you can do for your seedlings right now is to put them under your fluorescent light and leave them the fuck alone.

You're "over-loving" your plants like we all have done at some point - seriously, put them under the light and leave them be for a week.

Less water, less shock from direct sunlight - KISS.

And as Lost said, you most likely brought some bugs inside from your little outside excursion, so you're gonna have to handle that at some point.

rural hick

rural hick

too young..er small to take any nutes of at all to speak of, but i did give them something near 20% of 24-12-12. they am really small.
i have 9 now. they are showing green.
i have never had such a problem before with seedlings..ususally they take off like a weed. i am using a organic compost that has little (0.01%) nitrogen. as soon as they come out of this stress i will transplant to 1 gallon containers and add a little more utes.
my personal thought is that i won't add molasses till flowering ..ever again.
i have them under a T5 2 lamp 4' fixture; one lamp 3000k and the other lamp is a 6500k. the green is back..

L

Lost

your compost might be "Hot" Especially if its new..

Also a 20% of those nutes would fry just about anything. It should be a few table spoons per gallon at the most. do not use mericle grow or something you bought at home depot if you are going to smoke it and you want some taste... :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
superthrive is pretty hot and you kind of need to get your plants used to it - how much of that are you using?

rural hick

rural hick

i did not know superthrive was hot. i thought it was like a B vitamins kinda thing. i will not give anything but water till i see a couple of fan leaves again..promise.
i think; (1) i did not use enough perlite and vermilculite becuase i had poor drainage for these seedlings. (2) introducing them to the sunlight too early cause we had some high temps. (3) over compensating for the heat by overwatering.. complicated by poor drainage. Basically doing too much.
i will get some new organic compost, mix WELL with vermiculite and perlite. and some long lasting, slow acting bone meal then lay out all out and let it dry.
i did not notice my last bag of compost was wet till i started thinking back of my grave errors of judgement.
overwatering and the heat wave killed my plants, 7 white widow max, 5 pure afganis, 2 C99.
i could of saved my plants tho.
i have posted my errors that some one may benefit.
thanks for eveyones diagnosis.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
it is a vit b kinda thingy + some other stuffs, a drop or 2 a gallon at first is all ya need.

man if you can get the roots organics 707 soil and maybe some pura vida (2 part organic nute) they work great together and its very simple to use.

waayne

waayne

Hey bro commercial seedling mix's usually work well for germination.
Black Gold seedling mix and Fox Farm Light Warrior both give consistent results.
It's really challenging if not impossible to grow healthy seedling's
in high temps.Larger plant's with more developed root systems
can handle higher temps but seedling's usually don't do so good....
Good luck on your next run bro!

Top Bottom