Leaves Changing Colors Mid Flowering

• Thread starter PureAmazon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PureAmazon

PureAmazon

Hello fellow farmers need a lil help here, leaves are changing colors mid flowering. Buds look fine but some plant leaves are turning purple and some are beginning to fade to yellow. Using coco loco ph @ 6.0 feeding silica, flora micro, flora bloom, ryzo fuel, liquid kool bloom, floralicious plus, sweet berry, cal mag plus and just recently added rock resinator. Next feeding would be silica, pure blend tea, cal mag plus, sweet berry, zyme, hi brix molasses and recently added rock resinator. 3rd feeding normally would be plain water with silica. Growing GSC which is turning purple, (dont know if thats normal) and mendocino purps which is fading to yellow. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Leaves changing colors mid flowering
Leaves changing colors mid flowering 2
Leaves changing colors mid flowering 3
Leaves changing colors mid flowering 4
PureAmazon

PureAmazon

My guess...lock out...are you checking your run off?how often do you feed how often do you flush..
What should I be checking for in run off? Was thinking about flushing tomorrow.

Dan789

Dan789

Alternate view is that this is normal fade and color change brought out during bloom by lower overall night temps...strain dependent.
Have you seen this before when running this strain? Are all your plants doing this?, are you running more than one strain?...

PureAmazon

PureAmazon

Alternate view is that this is normal fade and color change brought out during bloom by lower overall night temps...strain dependent.
Have you seen this before when running this strain? Are all your plants doing this?, are you running more than one strain?...
Im running gsc and mendocino purps. I kind of figured the gsc turning purple was from low night temps but wanted to be sure. The mendo purps turning yellow i think are from lock out issues because ph is 6.9 and ppm/ec are out of this world on run off. 1st grow so i really have nothing to reference but what i find on internet.

B

Burned Haze

* Is your room fluxing in between 20 degreee’s ( from light/night) ? Some genetics will change colors when that happens or are more prone to those environments ( nothing wrong, yields wise, if anything it will make em more compact instead of foxy or heat stressed )

* Or it could even be cold water, are you making sure to use above 68f water? Some plants are pussies and start becoming locked out or purple after that/temp.

* Or even salt build up issues/lockout from consistent feeding and not enough runoff like someone mentioned above , I realize there’s so many factors( only thing you can do is try and learn and not have this happen again, if it’s a issue lol )

i’m Sure you’ll figure it out! Good luck and keep us posted

PureAmazon

PureAmazon

* Is your room fluxing in between 20 degreee’s ( from light/night) ? Some genetics will change colors when that happens or are more prone to those environments ( nothing wrong, yields wise, if anything it will make em more compact instead of foxy or heat stressed )

* Or it could even be cold water, are you making sure to use above 68f water? Some plants are pussies and start becoming locked out or purple after that/temp.

* Or even salt build up issues/lockout from consistent feeding and not enough runoff like someone mentioned above , I realize there’s so many factors( only thing you can do is try and learn and not have this happen again, if it’s a issue lol )

i’m Sure you’ll figure it out! Good luck and keep us posted

Its probably a combination of all three i appreciate the information now i have a better understanding of what to do and look out for. I know for sure my day and night temps are not within 10 to 15 degrees of each other. Being that it's pretty cold here im almost sure that my water temps are below 68°f. Also been feeding pretty heavy so i think they are locked out.

B

Burned Haze

& make sure to never put a ph probes in cold water ( like water under 60f)that kills em way faster for whatever reasons, a res heater for 50-100gal or w/e is fairly cheap and reliable fix . I get mine for like 20 bucks

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Plants do fade as they mature. You can't fertilize them out of it, and its OK. If anything, back off on the nutes concentration by 1/3.

Your mix is so complex that its very hard to have any idea what might be going wrong. It would be prudent, and won't hurt them a bit, to simplify things and just feed basic bloom mix for the rest of the harvest.

PureAmazon

PureAmazon

& make sure to never put a ph probes in cold water ( like water under 60f)that kills em way faster for whatever reasons, a res heater for 50-100gal or w/e is fairly cheap and reliable fix . I get mine for like 20 bucks

Ok, i think i will look into that but at what temp should I be watering at?

B

Burned Haze

Ok, i think i will look into that but at what temp should I be watering at?

Above 68f,I would set it at 70f and see with your ph/ppm probe what temp it is.

Than once spring season you prolly won’t need em till fall ( I’m sure you won’t need em, but in the winter it’s a saver, at least for me) , I even raised my Rez off the ground so it’s not retaining the extra cold floor

Last edited by a moderator:
PureAmazon

PureAmazon

Plants do fade as they mature. You can't fertilize them out of it, and its OK. If anything, back off on the nutes concentration by 1/3.

Your mix is so complex that its very hard to have any idea what might be going wrong. It would be prudent, and won't hurt them a bit, to simplify things and just feed basic bloom mix for the rest of the harvest.

I agree there is alot of shit going in, will consider simplifying as suggested. Thanks.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man, that's a lot of bottles your pouring into the res. You really only need a good base nutrient. Carbs are a bonus, and a pk boost is optional. Cal mag is the cause of more problems than it solves.

I think you've put too many nutrients in there, minerals have probably bonded and formed insoluble compounds and the NPK is all out of wack.

Killing them with kindness, as they say.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
lets start here, what is the posted flower time on your strains? If your deep into flower what your seeing could just be senescence. Or fade as we farmers call it. This is normal if you are just weeks out from them being done.

Again how long have they been in flower? and what is the posted length of flower time to ripeness. It is also normal for the lower leaves to yellow late in flower as the plant will scavenge nutrients stored in its tissues to bring it to the finish line.

Plants contain a compound called anthocyanin and some strains naturally turn purple if they have a good amount of this compound in them.

Answer my question and lets go from there. :D

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This maybe a dumb question, but is there a chance you've mixed up the strains? The yellow fading one looks similar to my GSC cut, I can even see a few double serrations on the leaves which my cut also has.

PureAmazon

PureAmazon

Man, that's a lot of bottles your pouring into the res. You really only need a good base nutrient. Carbs are a bonus, and a pk boost is optional. Cal mag is the cause of more problems than it solves.

I think you've put too many nutrients in there, minerals have probably bonded and formed insoluble compounds and the NPK is all out of wack.

Killing them with kindness, as they say.

I agree this is alot, this is my first grow of this magnitude and I have a partner who is supposedly showing me the ropes. Ive done some research and I would like to use far less than his recipe calls for but he is adamant that he knows what he is doing. I finally got him to flush few days back and the ppm run off was at 2400. Slowly i think he's seeing what im talking about. What's an example of a good base nutrient if you don't mind me asking?

PureAmazon

PureAmazon

lets start here, what is the posted flower time on your strains? If your deep into flower what your seeing could just be senescence. Or fade as we farmers call it. This is normal if you are just weeks out from them being done.

Again how long have they been in flower? and what is the posted length of flower time to ripeness. It is also normal for the lower leaves to yellow late in flower as the plant will scavenge nutrients stored in its tissues to bring it to the finish line.

Plants contain a compound called anthocyanin and some strains naturally turn purple if they have a good amount of this compound in them.

Answer my question and lets go from there. :D

The flower times are for the kosher kush and girl scout cookies are 9 to 10 wks, mendocino purps and garanimals are 8 to 9 wks. We started flowering 12.27.18 but we had problems with lights reverting back to 18 hrs so i actually think flowering started a wk to 2 wks later. Noticed yellowing of leaves end of January/beginning of February.

PureAmazon

PureAmazon

This maybe a dumb question, but is there a chance you've mixed up the strains? The yellow fading one looks similar to my GSC cut, I can even see a few double serrations on the leaves which my cut also has.

No question is a dumb question, my partner is the one that got the clones so i cant be sure of what they actually are. Im not experienced enough to just look at them and say what strain they are, hope to get to that point someday though.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I agree this is alot, this is my first grow of this magnitude and I have a partner who is supposedly showing me the ropes. Ive done some research and I would like to use far less than his recipe calls for but he is adamant that he knows what he is doing. I finally got him to flush few days back and the ppm run off was at 2400. Slowly i think he's seeing what im talking about. What's an example of a good base nutrient if you don't mind me asking?

Honestly, I like to keep it simple, lately I've been using GH floranova series one part. But Ive used GH 3 part, 2 part, H.O.G., Canna.. Maxi-grow, Maxi-bloom.. They all work well if used properly.

I use RO and never add Cal-mag. Just a full strength feed of 1.4-1.5.

These were grown with Just Floranova grow and Bloom, as well as Potassium silicate for ph up. And I'll say it again, no Calmag, No pk boosters, No Carbs, nothing.

I grow in a peat based soiless mix with a little worm castings and some organic 4-4-4 mixed into it. The first two pics are platinum gsc.

20190201 201514
20190212 002828
20181008 001316
20181003 145046
20190105 204117

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom