Leaves curling down not sure what plant is trying to tell me?

• Thread starter StrongIsland
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
By that i mean there is an imbalance between roots/foliage. I'd try trimming out some leaves.
Screenshot 20220426 162943 Chrome

See how bottom and mid tier leaves have good osmotic pressure/turgidity...but up top isn't. The water it needs is there, but not enough roots to drink enough....idk totally out of my pay grade as I've never done hydro.

StrongIsland

StrongIsland

By that i mean there is an imbalance between roots/foliage. I'd try trimming out some leaves.
View attachment 1239528
See how bottom and mid tier leaves have good osmotic pressure/turgidity...but up top isn't. The water it needs is there, but not enough roots to drink enough....idk totally out of my pay grade as I've never done hydro.
Oh I see what you are saying now!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm only using 1 light cause when I turn the other 4000watt on it goes from 71 degrees to 85 degrees and water evaporate too fast as the plant is drinking a gallon and a half a day
Optimal leaf temp is 78f I like my space 80f ...71f is too cold imho...

StrongIsland

StrongIsland

Thanks for your replies I highly appreciate it
Optimal leaf temp is 78f I like my space 80f ...71f is too cold imho...
I wouldn't mind it but due to the hydroponics I noticed when heat is up the humidity goes from 45% to 65%.
So I'm running a air-conditioning in room.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks for your replies I highly appreciate it

I wouldn't mind it but due to the hydroponics I noticed when heat is up the humidity goes from 45% to 65%.
So I'm running a air-conditioning in room.
That's because they are respiring properly. Setting respiration rates with environment is how grows are tuned.

Here's my guess, your roots are too small or you have root rot.

With a 3/4" return line, roots should be clogging it by this time in the grow. I'm assuming you are not seeing plumbing issues?

I would absolutely trim up all the bottom and once done where you can get access take a peek at the roots. Post up a pic if ya want help, I've grown hundreds of plants all in hydro. Also describe the water chemistry and what measurements you have and how you took them.

StrongIsland

StrongIsland

That's because they are respiring properly. Setting respiration rates with environment is how grows are tuned.

With a 3/4" return line, roots should be clogging it by this time in the grow. I'm assuming you are not seeing plumbing issues?

I would absolutely trim up all the bottom and once done where you can get access take a peek at the roots. Post up a pic if ya want help, I've grown hundreds of plants all in hydro. Also describe the water chemistry and what measurements you have and how you took them.

IMG 20220426 185808
StrongIsland

StrongIsland

How does she look?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OK, so there are 2 ways to approach keeping roots submerged in water for months.

#1 - Kill all organisms in the system water chemically - typically done with H2O2 in hydroponics. This is called Sterile.
#2 - Biological warfare - put good bacteria and beneficial fungus in the water to compete with the bad bacteria for resources and take over all the surface area under water, including your roots.

Both will give you successful grows if done properly and you will not get root rot.

I personally run biologics in my systems.

In your case, your only option is to go sterile at this point. The bad bacteria has already gained the foothold it needs, and a proper bacterial colony from day 1 takes 45 days to develop and you don't have that kind of time.

Do you have access to H2O2 - hydrogen peroxide? Commonly sold in 3% concentration at the drug store.

StrongIsland

StrongIsland

OK, so there are 2 ways to approach keeping roots submerged in water for months.

#1 - Kill all organisms in the system water chemically - typically done with H2O2 in hydroponics. This is called Sterile.
#2 - Biological warfare - put good bacteria and beneficial fungus in the water to compete with the bad bacteria for resources and take over all the surface area under water, including your roots.

Both will give you successful grows if done properly and you will not get root rot.

I personally run biologics in my systems.

In your case, your only option is to go sterile at this point. The bad bacteria has already gained the foothold it needs, and a proper bacterial colony from day 1 takes 45 days to develop and you don't have that kind of time.

Do you have access to H2O2 - hydrogen peroxide? Commonly sold in 3% concentration at the drug store.
I can go and get it. How do I use it?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here is a video I did for someone else with a problem last week. Look at the roots

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I can go and get it. How do I use it?
We have to compute the total amount of water in your system and the % concentration of what you buy and add it to the res like nutes. It will kill everything on the roots, and a tiny bit of the roots - the downside to going sterile.

StrongIsland

StrongIsland

You want 25 - 50 ppm now then do a res change in a day and drop it down to 10ppm for maintenance for the rest of the grow. Keep an eye on the roots for a couple weeks. That and trim them up and let it ride and she will settle in.
Sweet thank you!!

Top Bottom