Leaves curling: is it light stress?

• Thread starter ENKI
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

ENKI

I'm seeing some leaves curling a little bit at the edges, as you can see in the attached pic. The weird thing is that it seems to come and go during the day. I'm thinking it might be light stress. I keep pulling the light away... do you think I'm on the right track? Thanks!

(The leaves are a bit droopy because it's about to be night for the girls... that's normal.)

Leaves curling is it light stress
Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
That type of curling is commonly associated with excessive light or heat and perhaps low humidity. That's still a young plant, so it should still be under somewhat low light at 24 to 36 inches (depending on the type & power of the light).

E

ENKI

That type of curling is commonly associated with excessive light or heat and perhaps low humidity. That's still a young plant, so it should still be under somewhat low light at 24 to 36 inches (depending on the type & power of the light).

Thanks! That's what I thought... is 55% humidity too low though? I can get it higher. Temperature is currently around 24 Celsius and that I cannot control, really :(

This is my second run and I've doubled up my setup with two lights and two plants. I'm thinking that the two lights ended up being a bit too much... the other plant is not showing as many signs but initially it did curl a little bit like this one. I'm thinking the other one might be a bit less sensitive to light.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
is 55% humidity too low though?
No. It's good for veg.

Temperature is currently around 24 Celsius and that I cannot control, really :(
It's perhaps a bit cool, but should be okay for young plants. As the plants mature, you can increase the light and that will raise the temperature.

This is my second run and I've doubled up my setup with two lights and two plants. I'm thinking that the two lights ended up being a bit too much... the other plant is not showing as many signs but initially it did curl a little bit like this one. I'm thinking the other one might be a bit less sensitive to light.
With two lights, there can be a crossover effect when a plant gets light from both lights. Just reduce the intensity for the plant that's complaining until it gets healthier and can take more light.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello.
Yes it's light stress. What light are you using?
200w and above. Power setting 50% at least 30 inches above the plant tops.
200 and bellow 24 to 30 inches above the plant tops. You will find that centred under the light it's very bright.

As you get farther off to the sides the light is not so intense. Consider moving the plant off to a less intense location.
You should be able to see the light footprint if you look for it.

When you water, slowly water the entire pot. So that all of the medium gets moistened and it takes 2 or 3 days before you need to water again.
Then make sure you let the medium dry out quite dry before you water again. A little splash close to the plant every day is not good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom