Leaves getting brown spots/interveinal patches and edges are curling upwards

• Thread starter abmgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
abmgrow

abmgrow

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help diagnosing my plants.

I started these four plants from seed and they are 5.5 weeks old.

Four plantsjpg
They are about a foot tall and growing in 5"x5"x5" plastic containers in a 70% seed starter/30% perlite mix. The seed starter is mostly peat moss with some vermiculite, lime and coco coir. I didn't feed them anything for about 3 weeks so they were probably a little bit stunted but I have started using FOOP organic biosciences nutrients and they have grown a bunch since then. At first all four seemed to be doing good, but now some are showing brown spots and interveinal patches of dead tissue.
Plant 1 close upjpg

Plant 2 close upjpg
Plant 3 close upjpg

Only three of the four plants are showing these symptoms while the third looks pretty nice but has some clawed leaves. I have noticed the tips have burnt on pretty much all of them and I suspect I might be over feeding even though I am feeding them less than the recommended dosage of FOOP nutrients. I feed them every time I water which is what FOOP recommends but I feed them the dosage for a 3 week old plant. The water I have been using is a 50/50 mix of local tap water (which is very hard water) and distilled water and I pH it to ~6.4. I've been watering/feeding them every 2-3 days. I measured the pH of the runoff from the worst plant and it read 5.6 but I've heard that measuring runoff directly can be an inaccurate representation of soil pH.

My theory so far is that it is a calcium deficiency but I don't know. I've heard that low pH makes it hard for the plant to uptake calcium and the low pH of the runoff would seem to indicate that I have a low soil pH. I don't think it is a problem of not providing the calcium needed for the plant because I am watering with diluted tap water but it should still have pretty high calcium content because it is so hard. I've also read that calcium is relatively immobile so I should be noticing the deficiency in the newer leaves but it only shows up in the leaves a few nodes down and below. I also find it strange that only 3 of the plants are showing these symptoms. The seeds are definitely not very genetically similar so I guess that could account for the difference.

Here is some other info:

- the FOOP nutrients I've been feeding are a 2 part system with a 1-0-0 nutrient ratio.
- No foliar sprays applied.
- I'm using a BEST VA LED grow light https://www.bestvaled.com/products/59495159419191
- The light is between 14-18" above the canopy.
- The temperature and humidity stay around 77F and 35% humidity.

Any help diagnosing this would be really appreciated. What does it look like to you?

Plant 1jpg
Plant 2jpg
Plant 3jpg
Plant 4 close upjpg
Plant 4jpg
Plants in tentjpg
BunnyAnd.Ducky

BunnyAnd.Ducky

The first sign is the purple stems on the fan leaves ( petioles).
When they turn purple like that it's usually due to magnesium deficiency or nutrient lockout. What are you feeding them, how often at what Ph?

abmgrow

abmgrow

When they turn purple like that it's usually due to magnesium deficiency or nutrient lockout. What are you feeding them, how often at what Ph?
I've been feeding them FOOP organic biosciences nutrients. I've been using the 2 part veg nutrient and sweetener. See the pictures below for the details of each. I've been giving them the week 1 veg dosage which is 20ml/gallon of the veg parts 1 & 2 and 5ml/gallon of the sweetener. I've been feeding them every time I water (which is what is recommended by FOOP) which is every 2-3 days and I've been adjusting the pH to ~6.4.

IMG 1192
IMG 1193
IMG 1194
abmgrow

abmgrow

Also, isn't a magnesium deficiency usually characterized by interveinal yellowing (chlorosis)? None of my plants are showing this symptom. I suppose it could be a nutrient lockout if I'm feeding too often but FOOP specifically says that their feeding schedule will not over feed. See below...

InkedIMG 1195 LI
BunnyAnd.Ducky

BunnyAnd.Ducky

Red petioles is the first sign of mag deficiency, the chlorosis comes after if you don't correct it.

BunnyAnd.Ducky

BunnyAnd.Ducky

Some plants like more magnesium than others. If it were mine I'd just add a little epsom salts to the mix for extra mag and sulphur.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Plants have mild burn from prolly N, nice dark color so the N is clearly covered. Your plants are ROOTBOUND my friend. But them into some big pots of super soil, nice n hot, do a compost tea or a SST and then spark one up and watch the magic. You need to read Deadseamaidens thread about calcium, long story short using tap and the FOOP you prolly do not need anymore Ca Mg or epsom.

I

idkleine

Plants have mild burn from prolly N, nice dark color so the N is clearly covered. Your plants are ROOTBOUND my friend. But them into some big pots of super soil, nice n hot, do a compost tea or a SST and then spark one up and watch the magic. You need to read Deadseamaidens thread about calcium, long story short using tap and the FOOP you prolly do not need anymore Ca Mg or epsom.
where is this Deadseamaiden post? I'd like to read it!

Top Bottom