Leaves Getting Brown Spots

• Thread starter Brewzer420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Brewzer420

I'm I week 6 of veg growing Barney's Pineapple chunk fem seeds. One out of 4 plants have Brown spots on some of the fan leaves. The soil pH it's 6.5 and its Fox farm OF. I gave them half earth juice nutes 2 weeks ago but nothing but straight H2O ever since. The humidity is 50% and helps are 69-79. It's a healthy plant other than the spots. Any ideas what's causing the browning?

B

Brewzer420

20160106 172024 HDR

20160106 172009 HDR
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That, my friend, is a classic Ca- (calcium deficiency). Given the timing and all, there really isn't much point going after it now, it's way too late. Just finish her and know that, for the next run you're going to have to pay closer attention to Ca supply, at least for this strain.

Know also that you can give Ca via foliar application. Know also that with immobile minerals like Ca it is very important to get them laid down into plant tissues from the beginning.

B

Brewzer420

That, my friend, is a classic Ca- (calcium deficiency). Given the timing and all, there really isn't much point going after it now, it's way too late. Just finish her and know that, for the next run you're going to have to pay closer attention to Ca supply, at least for this strain.

Know also that you can give Ca via foliar application. Know also that with immobile minerals like Ca it is very important to get them laid down into plant tissues from the beginning.

I guess it is just that particular pheno because none of the other 3 plants show any CA deficiencies?

I won't be cloning that one. Lol. Thank you for your reply to my problem!!

B

Brewzer420

Actually after doing a little research on calcium deficiencies in cannabis I was wrong. The other plants are showing some different signs of calcium deficiencies. I'll definitely be using that dolomite lime going forward. Thanks again!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, now that I got that out of the way...

There are other, better in my opinion and experience, ways to get Ca into your ladies. The best one for using as a soil amendment or top dressing that will *not* shift pH (that's the problem with using anything that have carbonate or bicarbonate in their names) is gypsum, expressed as CaSO4, or calcium sulfate. You're getting sulfur in the deal here, and sulfur is a key nutrient. Another product you can use here is bone meal, but I would make teas if it hasn't already been mixed into the media and allowed to compost for at least a month.

OR, get a calcium-only liquid feed, which can also be used in foliar application. If you go this route, remember that immobile nutrients like Ca and S (look in my charts thread for a grouping of mobile vs immobile nutrients) and Fe must be laid down from the start or the plant will become deficient. It has to do with nutrient transport and nutrients playing with each other, it's a balancing act.

My preferred liquid Ca supplement is BioLink 6% Organic Ca.

There are other options that are vastly superior to CaMgCO3 (aka dolomite lime).

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

There are other, better in my opinion and experience, ways to get Ca into your ladies. The best one for using as a soil amendment or top dressing that will *not* shift pH (that's the problem with using anything that have carbonate or bicarbonate in their names) is gypsum, expressed as CaSO4, or calcium sulfate. You're getting sulfur in the deal here, and sulfur is a key nutrient. Another product you can use here is bone meal, but I would make teas if it hasn't already been mixed into the media and allowed to compost for at least a month.

OR, get a calcium-only liquid feed, which can also be used in foliar application. If you go this route, remember that immobile nutrients like Ca and S (look in my charts thread for a grouping of mobile vs immobile nutrients) and Fe must be laid down from the start or the plant will become deficient. It has to do with nutrient transport and nutrients playing with each other, it's a balancing act.

There are other options that are vastly superior to CaMgCO3 (aka dolomite lime).

This is such awesome info, thanks SeaMaiden! Would you recommend amending soil with gypsum at about 2tbs per gallon? (Don't mean to jack this thread, but I'm trying to correct ca- by starting with better soil)

Grow4me

Grow4me

I'm 4 weeks in with the same seeds, sorry to see that on your leaves. I'll be watching! Good luck! I can't wait to try the PC

B

Brewzer420

Ok. I won't use the lime. I the meantime do you have anything against Earth juice cal-mag? If I use any nutrients I use the Earth juice line but just discovered their cal-mag nutrient today.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This is such awesome info, thanks SeaMaiden! Would you recommend amending soil with gypsum at about 2tbs per gallon? (Don't mean to jack this thread, but I'm trying to correct ca- by starting with better soil)
How much should depend on whether or not there's already Ca available in your soil. That said, I don't believe you'd overdo it by going at that rate. It's also somewhat soluble, so you could try making a tea with it.
Ok. I won't use the lime. I the meantime do you have anything against Earth juice cal-mag? If I use any nutrients I use the Earth juice line but just discovered their cal-mag nutrient today.
What's the Ca:Mg ratio? If it's below 4:1, then it's a product I personally wouldn't use. But I know a LOT of other people use Cal-Mag mixes that are that ratio with no problem. It's really better than nothing, and it's better than DL. :) Just be aware that you may have to provide a wee bit more Ca.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

How much should depend on whether or not there's already Ca available in your soil. That said, I don't believe you'd overdo it by going at that rate. It's also somewhat soluble, so you could try making a tea with it.

Thanks Sea. I'm gearing up to do my first organic grow, gonna make a super soil and only feed with teas. I don't want to jack this thread so I'm gonna post over in the organic soil section once I have my basic recipe...hopefully you can pop in and let me know what you think. Always appreciate new knowledge.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For soil recipes and such, pay attention to Bulldog11, Blaze, and leadsled.

Top Bottom