• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
And one last note,
Feed , water , water , water, water, water feed
That’s 2 feedings to every 5 water cycles
Allowing drying of soil in between, soil should be about 4” deep dry before you use that cycle .

Reactions: Ina
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
ALL of the advice is great. The leaves turning yellow isn't as unusual as you are panicking about. At the end of it's life, a plant will suck any remaining nutrients and energy out of the leaves, which then turn yellow an die. Any water splashed on them will cause those discolorations if the leaf is dying. As long as your new growth looks OK during flowering, you are still good. Plants are like trees in the fall...they get prepped to make seeds/acorns and devote their energies to making them. Some strains are worse than others, and a slight deficiency of nutrients can make it appear sooner and with more of an impact. Yellowing leaves CAN e a normal part of flowering, just everyone goes crazy when they see ANY yellow. You gained experience and won't have that problem the next grow. Congrats!

chemistry

chemistry

Looks like Nitrogen tox to me, to heavy with the veg nuits in flower. The brown spots look like a Phosphorus def, feed more flower nuits. I would water every day with ph'd nuits and not skip a day with water, feed lighter if you have to, to keep the moisture up. 18/6 light. Put in at ph 6.4.

Reactions: Ina
AlphaWinner

AlphaWinner

Ok, Maybe I should have described my whole setup beforehand, sorry :)
This is what I got:
  • Tent - Homebox Ambient 100x100x200
  • BESTVA Elite 1200W LED - with VEG and BLOOM modes (and of course VEG+BLOOM toegether)
  • Silent TD 350 5" blower connected to 5" Carbon Filter 360 m^2/h. on 24/7.
  • Inake vent on 24/7
  • Oscillating fan on 24/7
  • Pot - "Airpot" - Plastic 12 Liter containers with many holes all around it and on the bottom too, the drainage and oxygen exposure is supposed to be good. Should I use fabric instead?
Any comments on my equipment setup?

The RH in the tent: During VEG stage I tried keeping it high - 50-60%, when started flowering I tried keeping it 45-55%. (maybe I should've aimed to 40-50%?

Everything you wrote about watering - I read during research before starting to grow. I think I applied everything, so I don't see how is it possible that I overwatered... Also - I have a xiaomi-flora device in the pot - that measures humidity in the soil - right after I water - its 50-55%, then goes down everyday till it gets to around 10% - thats when I double-check the soil, it seems really dry, then I water.

Maybe over-nutes because of watering only with nutes? But I didn't see any nute-burn issues...

The air flow is suppose to be OK, when I remove the carbon filter - I get a bit of underpressure in the tent (the blower is stroger than the intake-vent), when the carbon filter is on - not so much underpressue in the tent - but still good flow of air coming out of the blower.

This is the airpot:
AIRPOT

AlphaWinner

AlphaWinner

And one last note,
Feed , water , water , water, water, water feed
That’s 2 feedings to every 5 water cycles
Allowing drying of soil in between, soil should be about 4” deep dry before you use that cycle .

Also valid advice for Autoflowers? (with their fast-pace life)
If I followed that cycle - I would give maybe 1 feed of VEG and 1 feed of FLOWER (mabye 2 tops) for the whole life of the plant, is that enough?

AlphaWinner

AlphaWinner

ALL of the advice is great. The leaves turning yellow isn't as unusual as you are panicking about. At the end of it's life, a plant will suck any remaining nutrients and energy out of the leaves, which then turn yellow an die. Any water splashed on them will cause those discolorations if the leaf is dying. As long as your new growth looks OK during flowering, you are still good. Plants are like trees in the fall...they get prepped to make seeds/acorns and devote their energies to making them. Some strains are worse than others, and a slight deficiency of nutrients can make it appear sooner and with more of an impact. Yellowing leaves CAN e a normal part of flowering, just everyone goes crazy when they see ANY yellow. You gained experience and won't have that problem the next grow. Congrats!

This is comforting a bit :) Of course I will update when I harvest...

Now I should just wait until I see 50-70% of these little guys turn brown/amber in color?
Then Harvest-time? :D

20190328 IMG 9815
20190328 IMG 9820

AlphaWinner

AlphaWinner

Looks like Nitrogen tox to me, to heavy with the veg nuits in flower. The brown spots look like a Phosphorus def, feed more flower nuits. I would water every day with ph'd nuits and not skip a day with water, feed lighter if you have to, to keep the moisture up. 18/6 light. Put in at ph 6.4.

I think you are right about giving VEG for wayyy into flowering stage, I thought I was "extending" the VEG stage a bit more and gradually turning to FLOWER nutes by doing this, but I guess I was totally wrong.

Giving nutes all the time - is contradicting advice from other members here in the thread - of giving water-only sometimes... Please explain?
Should I give PH 6.4 - even if the nutes recommendation on the package is 5.8-6.2 ?

Dan789

Dan789

Your air pots are ok, fabric breathes everywhere, but that point seems moote. I do space my bags up on furring strips off the bottom of the drainage trays though. (Remove excess water from the trays after watering). On trichomes, mostly cloudy, some amber. That’s on the bud, not sugar leaves as they will show amber sooner than the buds do...

B6902F2D 157C 470C A4FC 349A2E06592E
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Also valid advice for Autoflowers? (with their fast-pace life)
If I followed that cycle - I would give maybe 1 feed of VEG and 1 feed of FLOWER (mabye 2 tops) for the whole life of the plant, is that enough?
Feed and water more frequently by not drowning it, cup at a time

AlphaWinner

AlphaWinner

Your air pots are ok, fabric breathes everywhere, but that point seems moote. I do space my bags up on furring strips off the bottom of the drainage trays though. (Remove excess water from the trays after watering). On trichomes, mostly cloudy, some amber. That’s on the bud, not sugar leaves as they will show amber sooner than the buds do...
The airpot I have has kind of plastic "legs", so I think it's pretty much similar.
Might be a stupid question - how do you drain the trays? I didn't want to pick up the pots - because the plant is tied to the SCROG net - so I ended up just sucking the drain water with a tube - lol :D Any ideas?

So - the trichomes themselves should become mostly cloudy and like 20% are amber?

AlphaWinner

AlphaWinner

Feed and water more frequently by not drowning it, cup at a time

So less water and more frequent waterings. Isn't that a risk of over-watering (by watering "too soon")?
And I read everywhere that you should water througly until you get around 20% of the water in the drainage tray, is that wrong? If I watered less - I wouldn't get anything in the drainage tray...

Also - I might have "rushed" the watering? I just take 500ml cup and try to spread the water consistently on the soil. Repeated until I see the tray filling up. Wait a couple of minutes and collect around 500-600ml run-off from the drainage tray.

Dan789

Dan789

C8B1D733 4995 4B7A BCC0 D758FEE6014C
The airpot I have has kind of plastic "legs", so I think it's pretty much similar.
Might be a stupid question - how do you drain the trays? I didn't want to pick up the pots - because the plant is tied to the SCROG net - so I ended up just sucking the drain water with a tube - lol :D Any ideas?

So - the trichomes themselves should become mostly cloudy and like 20% are amber?
10% or so amber, turkey baster for removing standing water..
My thoughts, slower watering via watering jug with many small holes, and I don’t get as much pouring out through the sides of my growing bags, too fast and it pours right back out. Water/water/water/feed by noting weight of pots, and method of determining when top couple inches of soil is dry...
I have a small pump and sprinkler system manifold, I’ll try to post pics later, but that’s for another day...

Last edited:
H

hawkman

Harvest this plant !!!!!!!!!

chemistry

chemistry

I think you are right about giving VEG for wayyy into flowering stage, I thought I was "extending" the VEG stage a bit more and gradually turning to FLOWER nutes by doing this, but I guess I was totally wrong.

Giving nutes all the time - is contradicting advice from other members here in the thread - of giving water-only sometimes... Please explain?
Should I give PH 6.4 - even if the nutes recommendation on the package is 5.8-6.2 ?

I've got the same pots as you, only mine are 2ltr.
100 7793

It's a different strokes for different folks when it comes to feeding and watering. I prefer to water with nuits every day, some like to feed then only water next time. But I can't see the point in not feeding every time, I want my plants to grow and be done in 8 weeks of flower, so I feed every day, more than one feed if I'm using a porous medium like rock wool or hydro pellets. So it's up to you really how you water. You should aim for it to fit in with your style of growing, as others are using different mediums and different forms of nutrition to you, be they natural or bottled. Just try not to burn them with over feeding and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom