Leaves Twisting Curling Crinkling and Discoloring

• Thread starter sog1313
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sog1313

sog1313

HELP! As the title says the leaves on one of my plants are simultaneously twisting, curling, becoming crinkled, and turning strange colors. The bottom leaves are getting yellow and spotty, while the upper leaves are dark green on the edges and light inside. Also she has a stem the size of a small tree trunk.

Here is some info on my grow:
2 gallon DWC buckets under a 150W HPS in a converted dresser cabinet. She is about 25 days old from seed, 2 weeks or so into proper vegging. This plant is being fed Botanicare PBP Grow at 5 mL/gal, CalMag+ at 1 mL/gal, Nirvana at 1 mL/gal, and Hygrozyme at 8 mL/gal, total of 250 ppm pH adjusted to about 5.5. Cab temps are about 78F ambient and about 85F right under the light. Water temp in the buckets is about 72F. 20/4 light schedule. Top off with ph'ed water and adjust rez pH every day, change rez once a week.

I first noticed the plant looking strange about a week ago and attributed it to a touch of root slime that has since been eliminated. However it has been getting worse and I cant pin down the cause of the problem. I dont think it is a pest or fungus as the other plant in the cab is fine. My thoughts are that it is either a nute problem, pH imbalance, or genetic instability. I was wondering if you guys could take a look? This may be an obvious problem to someone with more experience. I'll gladly provide more details and/or pictures.

Thanks!

Leaves twisting curling crinkling and discoloring
Leaves twisting curling crinkling and discoloring 2
Leaves twisting curling crinkling and discoloring 3
Leaves twisting curling crinkling and discoloring 4
C

critical

HELP! As the title says the leaves on one of my plants are simultaneously twisting, curling, becoming crinkled, and turning strange colors. The bottom leaves are getting yellow and spotty, while the upper leaves are dark green on the edges and light inside. Also she has a stem the size of a small tree trunk.

Here is some info on my grow:
2 gallon DWC buckets under a 150W HPS in a converted dresser cabinet. She is about 25 days old from seed, 2 weeks or so into proper vegging. This plant is being fed Botanicare PBP Grow at 5 mL/gal, CalMag+ at 1 mL/gal, Nirvana at 1 mL/gal, and Hygrozyme at 8 mL/gal, total of 250 ppm pH adjusted to about 5.5. Cab temps are about 78F ambient and about 85F right under the light. Water temp in the buckets is about 72F. 20/4 light schedule. Top off with ph'ed water and adjust rez pH every day, change rez once a week.

I first noticed the plant looking strange about a week ago and attributed it to a touch of root slime that has since been eliminated. However it has been getting worse and I cant pin down the cause of the problem. I dont think it is a pest or fungus as the other plant in the cab is fine. My thoughts are that it is either a nute problem, pH imbalance, or genetic instability. I was wondering if you guys could take a look? This may be an obvious problem to someone with more experience. I'll gladly provide more details and/or pictures.

Thanks!

im no pro with nutes nor experienced in hydro or buckets but il say 3 things,firstly from all your details id say the temp n water temp seem in range and the ppm dosnt seem to high but whats your room humidity? keep it as much between 60 n 70% as you can in veg n at 50 in flower and maybe try and flush your plant thru with just water for a few days or a week n then when you feed give a weaker mix this time like quarter or something, secondonly how far away is your light? maybe you need to tweak that abit? and thirdly id say try a different light cycle buddy, push it to 18 on 6 off its prob safest regime for veg or 16 on 8 off, and 12 on 12 off for flower is obviously safest there,

hopefully 1 of them bits of advice will help and if none of the advice i gave helps i hope someone on here can offer some good input to your problem, there should be so dont worry theres alot of good growers on the farm that should help just keep posting every now n then to highlight it back on the new post or todays post thread n some1 will eventually see it and help

all the best m8 n keep posted on updates if anything happens
:banana1sv6:

C

critical

o and 1 morew thing maybe try 6-7.5 ph that might do something to help im sure thats about were they like it

hiboy

hiboy

keep ur light at least two feet away. 85 is too hot if thats where ur plants are at.
looks like a heat issue from the wilting. Since u knowur ppms are low and the ph is ok... i Dont see any nute burning. Are u sure ur roots are into the water and drinking?
h

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
85 is way to hot, your not adding Co2 so you can't go that high

sog1313

sog1313

Thanks to everyone that replied. Took some of your suggestions. She hasn't gotten better but neither has she gotten worse, so I'm still optimistic.

Critical - the room humidity is around 40% and after doing an emergency rez change I did up the pH closer to 6.0. The light was about 10 inches away (in a cooltube) but I have since raised it. I hesitate to change their light schedule as I dont want to stress her any more or cause premature flowering. 20/4 has worked fine for me in the past.
Hiboy - The roots are definitely in the water, in fact this plant has had explosive root growth this past few days. I dont have the space to keep it 2 feet away but like i said i raised to from 10" to about 16".
GRO - its a DWC (Deep Water Culture) bucket, the idea is that it is constantly watered and aerated.
oscar and kes - i agree 85 is pretty warm I dont think it is too hot, but the plant may be getting too much direct light. My cab has good airflow also.

From what everybody has said this is the conclusion I have drawn: The plant was receiving too much direct light which caused an explosion of green growth the roots could not support, hence why it appears stunted and wilty now despite the vigorous growth. Excess heat around the plant tops may also have contributed to her condition. If I'm way off on this please correct me. I'll continue to provide updates over the next few days, hopefully this will be fixed by then.

Thanks again everybody and good growing!

sog1313

sog1313

Just another update on this situation: #3 has recovered nicely and has resumed its incredible rate of growth. Now that our pre-winter warm spell has passed it should be easier to regulate temps in the cab. it is currently 79F at plant-top, 75F ambient, and 69-70F in the water. I guess we can call this case SOLVED!

C

critical

keep ur light at least two feet away. 85 is too hot if thats where ur plants are at.
looks like a heat issue from the wilting. Since u knowur ppms are low and the ph is ok... i Dont see any nute burning. Are u sure ur roots are into the water and drinking?
h

85 is way to hot, your not adding Co2 so you can't go that high

I'm sorry but 85 is not way to hot....

i thought that he said thats what it was directly below the light? and 70 or something amnbient i asumed was were hes plants were?

C

critical

Just another update on this situation: #3 has recovered nicely and has resumed its incredible rate of growth. Now that our pre-winter warm spell has passed it should be easier to regulate temps in the cab. it is currently 79F at plant-top, 75F ambient, and 69-70F in the water. I guess we can call this case SOLVED!

sweet back on trck then, take care bro

Top Bottom