Leaving Males In Dark For Pollen

• Thread starter blu3kush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
blu3kush

blu3kush

So I have a male I want to collect some pollen for use later on its about to start dropping pollen within the next day or two was wondering if I could get away with leaving it in a dark room for a week just to collect a little pollen or would it be necessary to keep it under a light? I would just make a male isolation bin but my 2x2 tent isn't big enough. I tried searching but I kept getting results for light cycles that produce more males. Tha

blu3kush

blu3kush

That's not what I was asking but thanks anyway. Was asking if I left a male in the dark for a week if it would survive long enough to collect some pollen or would it stress it out enough that it wouldn't drop any. But no worries I'm just gonna go ahead and figure it out.

jipp

jipp

you are asking if you can just remove it fro your grow tent yeah, and ignore it basically?

blu3kush

blu3kush

I'm asking if I take the male that has already started dropping pollen this morning and I put it in a dark room with no lights (because I don't have another tent or light or timer right now) will it continue drop pollen or will it cus it to stop flowering and die

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
He will live and drop pollen all day man can't remember who it was on here maybe it was @Lazerus00 who didn't know he had a male in the garage and it pollinated how entire crop

highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
So I have a male I want to collect some pollen for use later on its about to start dropping pollen within the next day or two was wondering if I could get away with leaving it in a dark room for a week just to collect a little pollen or would it be necessary to keep it under a light? I would just make a male isolation bin but my 2x2 tent isn't big enough. I tried searching but I kept getting results for light cycles that produce more males. Tha

If he is ready to drop pollen you should be fine leaving him in a dark place to collect the pollen over a few days.

What I would do is take some of the tops that are getting close to producing pollen and take them off the plant. Cut the branches a little long and place them in a glass of water. Sit the branches so they hang over the edge of the cup and place the cup on a piece of glass, wax paper, etc... so the pollen can be collected. (Lightly tap the branches so the pollen drops on the wax paper.)

Once enough pollen has been collected take it and store it in a cool, dry place so the pollen can dry out a day or so before storage. If you try to store the pollen right away it usually ends up being too wet and can get clumpy in the fridge...making it no longer be viable.

blu3kush

blu3kush

Thanks for the advice. I ended up just putting it on some glass in a box and used some string to pull the branches off to the side. Would it be fine to store the pollen after drying a few days in a mason jar with some paper wedged in the lid in the freezer or fridge?

highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for the advice. I ended up just putting it on some glass in a box and used some string to pull the branches off to the side. Would it be fine to store the pollen after drying a few days in a mason jar with some paper wedged in the lid in the freezer or fridge?
I like to keep as little air in with the pollen as possible. Air leaves room for possible humidity issues IMO. I use small vials to store my pollen. Centrifuge tubes work well for this.

Once I know the pollen is dry I collect it and store it in the centrifuge tubes. Each tube can hold more than enough pollen for several breedings(I use the paint brush method). I make sure each vial is closed tight and vacuum seal them individually with some dried rice or silica desiccant. That way whenever I need to use the pollen I don't have to take all of it out of the fridge/freezer. Just one vial for a single use. Remember each time you take it out the moisture in the air is going to want a condensate on it if it's still cold...I let the centrifuge tube get to room temp before I open them up.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I got some pollen from a friend once and he stored it with dry white rice to wick any moisture.

Top Bottom