LEC 315W Canopy Distance (Sun System)

• Thread starter transparencyiskey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
transparencyiskey

transparencyiskey

Hello,
I was recently given a 315W Sun System LEC grow light. I am a new hobbyist & have read mixed opinions on optimal grow light distance. I am currently ~1 month into veg, with 5 nodes on each plant, each of them being photoperiods. The light is currently 24" from the canopy, although there has only been two single days in which I have found the plants 'praying'. Granted, the color of the plants all look healthy & a vibrant green. Ought the light be closer, say 18-20", or possibly even farther away than it is at the moment?

I would be happy to provide any additional details. Thank you in advance for any & all help.

Peace & Love.

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Hello,
I was recently given a 315W Sun System LEC grow light. I am a new hobbyist & have read mixed opinions on optimal grow light distance. I am currently ~1 month into veg, with 5 nodes on each plant, each of them being photoperiods. The light is currently 24" from the canopy, although there has only been two single days in which I have found the plants 'praying'. Granted, the color of the plants all look healthy & a vibrant green. Ought the light be closer, say 18-20", or possibly even farther away than it is at the moment?

I would be happy to provide any additional details. Thank you in advance for any & all help.

Peace & Love.
Depends on the plant. Do you have a lux meter? Free apps are avail for most cellphones. 30-40k might be in the ballpark.

transparencyiskey

transparencyiskey

Depends on the plant. Do you have a lux meter? Free apps are avail for most cellphones. 30-40k might be in the ballpark.
The strain is called "Banana Peel" which is apparently an evenly balanced (50/50) hybrid. I will try measuring my lux with an app now -- thank you so much for that helpful hint!

edit: the average reading was 68k all the way up to 132k in the center hahaha, just a taaad bit too close =)

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hello,

Peace & Love.

in a 3x3 reflective tent my sun system open vertical reflector bottom edge needed about 3 feet at your stage and 2 feet at peak flowering. In my open flower room however more like 2 feet at transition and 18” at peak flowering. Sun system says max par and 3x3 coverage is at 16”. I think that lowers covered area to 2.5’ x 2.5’ but flowers the best for me.

hope this helps as a guideline. I look for flat happy leaves beyond that for minor adjustments.

transparencyiskey

transparencyiskey

in a 3x3 reflective tent my sun system open vertical reflector bottom edge needed about 3 feet at your stage and 2 feet at peak flowering. In my open flower room however more like 2 feet at transition and 18” at peak flowering. Sun system says max par and 3x3 coverage is at 16”. I think that lowers covered area to 2.5’ x 2.5’ but flowers the best for me.

hope this helps as a guideline. I look for flat happy leaves beyond that for minor adjustments.
Bless you. Thank you so much for all of that information. Spot-on for my setup. May you be well.

Top Bottom