Led Distance From Seedlings

• Thread starter Bashar Assad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Shop lights?
You read that right. Shop lights. The $10 for a dual-bulb fixture kind. For my first reef tank I had my then-husband build me a hood. In that I fitted three double-light fixtures, mixed the bulbs. This was back in... I dunno, '89? Manufactures didn't give you a lot of information about their lights back then, it was a real pain in the ass to get it, but I did and saved a qualified metric shit-ton of money not having to go metal halide.

Looks like @Wisher619 uses the same timer I like, too. :)

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

You read that right. Shop lights. The $10 for a dual-bulb fixture kind. For my first reef tank I had my then-husband build me a hood. In that I fitted three double-light fixtures, mixed the bulbs. This was back in... I dunno, '89? Manufactures didn't give you a lot of information about their lights back then, it was a real pain in the ass to get it, but I did and saved a qualified metric shit-ton of money not having to go metal halide.

Looks like @Wisher619 uses the same timer I like, too. :)

Brilliant. I really considered cheap flourescets like that for a while. I like the quality of sun blaze t5 stuff. Pricy, but good quality product as far as i can tell.

Lol, not to gush sea, but your a boss. Haha keep it up, thanks for the advice.

..just curiouso.. When do we get to see a couple outdoor buds youve produced? Curious to see outdoor quality from nor cal

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Ah, well, I generally don't post up a whole lot of pix after the robbery.

To be clear, I'm talking about T8-T12 type bulbs and fixtures, not T5s.

Respect. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :p

I think i knew that in the back of my head. But thanks for clearing it up for me yo. T8-t12 is a llower lumen output yeah?

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

@Bashar Assad what kind of flourescents did you end up with?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Respect. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :p

I think i knew that in the back of my head. But thanks for clearing it up for me yo. T8-t12 is a llower lumen output yeah?
I think it's more about efficiency, at least when comparing T8s to T5s, moreso than lumen output.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

I think it's more about efficiency, at least when comparing T8s to T5s, moreso than lumen output.

Speaking about electrically efficient? Like saving money on the power bill?

or do you mean most efficient for plant life. Wouldnt that pertain more to the spectrum and output of the bulb itself if so?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Efficiency in terms of how much light you're getting out of the bulb with regard to how much power it's using. That kind of efficiency. The CRI, Kelvin and lumen ratings can all be matched otherwise.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Efficiency in terms of how much light you're getting out of the bulb with regard to how much power it's using. That kind of efficiency. The CRI, Kelvin and lumen ratings can all be matched otherwise.

Thanks for your patience. Generally the strew of questions you get arent this novice, im sure. But hey, lookin at the stats on the site you reply, message, and have more posts liked than anyone else on here. Im certain you enjoy it.

Thanks again for the insight (and helping me kill time until the grow store opens haha. Come onnnn 930... ) positive vibes and mad respect your way sea.

Gguy

Wisher619

Wisher619

for me I like T-8's only 32w per bulb where as the T-5 might put out more lumens but power consumption is the same as T-12 as well as heat...just in a smaller package...as I am not commercial to me it is pretty cheap to pick up a fixture for $10 at Walmizzle...and throw in some 2 buck bulbs...

For my clones I use an old T-12 fixture with Philips grow lamps..they are 9 each at the D-Pot...I have found those work best for clones...usually root within 7-10 days...I also use the old T-12 for germ...seems to work well...I believe is is the heat that it produces...

Bashar Assad

Bashar Assad

Heheh Scooby-Doo accent lol I ment then not Ren heheh.

Anyways the tubes just by themselves are working a lot better than the cfl's did or when I tries combining the tubes and cfl's. I can get them just over 2" away from the seedling and have a temperature of 76*F and rh% of 65% at seedling level. I'm using T8's for the bulbs.

I just realized it's been a week since I sowed my little seeds! Jeez one has really taken off while the other doesn't really look to be doing much; although I think I might have seen a bit of green between its cube and the little plug I put over its hole.

Okay a bit off topic, but what signs do I look for to tell me when it's time to transplant into my tent? I think it's when the roots begin poking out of the sides of the cube, it has been in the seedling stage for 2 - 3 weeks and/or it develops I believe it's third set of true leaves. I don't have my notebook on me atm so I'm not entirely sure. I thought I'd ask while I'm thinking about it and I didn't want to start a new thread.

Wisher619

Wisher619

I don't pay attention much to top growth when it comes to transplant...once the roots emerge from the grow cube I transplant to Dixie cups....after that in 2 weeks to 1 gallon and so on...everyone has there own recipe....but from cube to first pot I would say when the roots show ....another thing....let them dry...roots grow in search of water...if it is constantly moist the roots don't have to grow in search of water

for me...a REAL IMPORTANCE for all my plants....veggies included...is the wet/dry cycle...I let my soil dry to the point of it just pulling from the sides of the pot....or my leaves begin to droop....then when I water..I water really slow so there is 10% runoff and I soak the plant completely....wet/dry cycle....just how I do it

Last edited:
Bashar Assad

Bashar Assad

Ah thanks for the tips! Yea from what I remember from reading everything had the roots should be growing out of the cube in common.

Okay one more question, since I'm growing in a 1.5" cube right now, when the roots come out of the sides would it be a better idea to transplant it into a smaller container (like a red plastic cup) or right into the 6" net basket w/ hydroton? And if transplanting into a little cup should the cube be surrounded by hydroton? With a free seed i mucked around with a while back I moved the seedling right into the basket in a bucket and it did grow and make more roots before I axed it, so I could do it that way correct? If I do put it right into a basket in a 5 gallon bucket I'll be using a drip ring on a pump set on a timer. I was going to set the watering cycle to start with 30 minute watering 4 times a day. Seeing as the roots will move from dry to wet in search of water. I was going to tinker with the watering times to see what will work out for wetting and drying today, so I'll be busy!

Bashar Assad

Bashar Assad

Ah thanks for the tips! Yea from what I remember from reading everything had the roots should be growing out of the cube in common.

Okay one more question, since I'm growing in a 1.5" cube right now, when the roots come out of the sides would it be a better idea to transplant it into a smaller container (like a red plastic cup) or right into the 6" net basket w/ hydroton? And if transplanting into a little cup should the cube be surrounded by hydroton? With a free seed i mucked around with a while back I moved the seedling right into the basket in a bucket and it did grow and make more roots before I axed it, so I could do it that way correct? If I do put it right into a basket in a 5 gallon bucket I'll be using a drip ring on a pump set on a timer. I was going to set the watering cycle to start with 30 minute watering 4 times a day. Seeing as the roots will move from dry to wet in search of water. I was going to tinker with the watering times to see what will work out for wetting and drying today, so I'll be busy!

Wisher619

Wisher619

oh ok so you are running hydro...then once the roots pop it is good to go strait into the net pot

Bashar Assad

Bashar Assad

Yeppers hydroponics. I'm using a five gallon bucket with a 6" net basket surrounded by a 8" plastic pot with drainage holes that goes maybe 8" down. In the space between I keep two gallons of water/nutrients, a 1"x2" and 2"x 4" air stone, chiller pump and drip ring pump. The 8" pot keeps the roots from getting all tangled in everything. The air stones are fed by a 7 lpm and 8lpm pump and the drip ring pump is on a 30 min incrimant timer set to 30min every 6 hours to start.

Okay that's what I was thinking that the cubes could go right in the buckets when ready, awesome. Thanks!

Bashar Assad

Bashar Assad

Yeppers hydroponics. I'm using a five gallon bucket with a 6" net basket surrounded by a 8" plastic pot with drainage holes that goes maybe 8" down. In the space between I keep two gallons of water/nutrients, a 1"x2" and 2"x 4" air stone, chiller pump and drip ring pump. The 8" pot keeps the roots from getting all tangled in everything. The air stones are fed by a 7 lpm and 8lpm pump and the drip ring pump is on a 30 min incrimant timer set to 30min every 6 hours to start.

Okay that's what I was thinking that the cubes could go right in the buckets when ready, awesome. Thanks!

S

Seamus420

Just came across this thread. Ive never grown with LEDs, I've put two germinated seeds under a 300w non branded led and there going yellow as if there burning? I have a mars 600w but I assumed that would be too much any help would be nice

NGA

NGA

Way too much ,I use t 5 ,8 watt,just a little guy maybe a foot long

Latest posts

Top Bottom