LED Light Distance from Seedlings

• Thread starter tobing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobing

tobing

Hey guys,
I'm growing LA Confidential in a 5x5 in coco coir/perlite, starting out in Jiffy pellets. I have the HLG 650r LED light:
HLG 650R
Keep in mind I don't plan on getting a second light for seedlings, at least for my first grow. I will only be using this light.

When I place my seedlings under light for the first time, how high should I place this light above them? How low should I dim?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Download light meter by my mobile tools dev. Set to about 5-10k lux for seedlings. If on max power I would guess somewhere around 4 feet.

ganjaNinjaa

ganjaNinjaa

hey, so I just place my phone on the pot? my LED is at 9"and marking 12k...

ganjaNinjaa

ganjaNinjaa

ganjaNinjaa

ganjaNinjaa

It will be fine. You could cut the entire top half of the plant off and it wouldn't care much. 🤣
Got it sorted then?

15-45k for veg on 18/6
45-65k for flower.
Some strains may handle more. Always start at the low end and work up 3-5k every few days to a week watching for light stress.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Hey I cannot comment on the light reader stuff, since I just started playing with that tool, but the plant will also let you know.

If it's stretching towards the light and getting lenky and tall, then it needs more light. If its cowering away from the light, growing super short with warped or white leaves, then too much light. If it's happy it just puts on some nice green true leaves relatively quickly without those other symptoms.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Missed this. Sorry was a bit high tonight. That should be good. You can increase 3-5k every few days to a week. The numbers I gave you want to kinda start at the low end and work up to the high end.

ganjaNinjaa

ganjaNinjaa

Hey I cannot comment on the light reader stuff, since I just started playing with that tool, but the plant will also let you know.

If it's stretching towards the light and getting lenky and tall, then it needs more light. If its cowering away from the light, growing super short with warped or white leaves, then too much light. If it's happy it just puts on some nice green true leaves relatively quickly without those other symptoms.
Missed this. Sorry was a bit high tonight. That should be good. You can increase 3-5k every few days to a week. The numbers I gave you want to kinda start at the low end and work up to the high end.

thanks! My plants are definitely not stretching but the grow seems really slow.. My LED is a 600w but actual draw 120W.. should I get another light to get decent buds and faster grow?? I don't think I can go any lower then 10"without burning

IMG 20200827 124753
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

thanks! My plants are definitely not stretching but the grow seems really slow.. My LED is a 600w but a true 120W.. should I get another light to get decent buds and faster grow?? I don't think I can go any lower then 10"without burning
Oh shit. You can't use lux for blurples... the light intensity is much mich higher than the lux value.

ganjaNinjaa

ganjaNinjaa

Oh shit. You can't use lux for blurples... the light intensity is much mich higher than the lux value.
so you're saying I'm giving too much light?
I thought I dont have enough for two plants, specially for flowering. So I don't need an extra light?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

so you're saying I'm giving too much light?
I thought I dont have enough for two plants, specially for flowering. So I don't need an extra light?
Never used blurple. You will have to go based on plant response 120w will be good for about 4sq ft. So a 2x2 space.

Top Bottom