Led Lights And Unfinished Buds?

• Thread starter cottageman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

Not always the case, Multiple light points has the ability to hit more of the surface area of the leaf with direct light compared to a single point HID.
View attachment 862117
Nice plants!! I have a quick question for you, if you don’t mind. I’m a complete newbie and this is my 2nd plant I have ever grown! Anyways Im week 4 into flower and my big fan leaves are turning yellow and dying almost just like yours. Isn’t it too early for my plant to show those signs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

46954C8A A5D6 45DB 91AE 63D41D3E276D
455C7F95 7BF6 41A5 861F B51143C3F8E6
B76F444E 301C 43B4 B945 7B20EC751938
C

Comermac

You mean like these.
View attachment 862132 View attachment 862133
Still not much light hitting the floor.

Looks like more light lower than LEDs. I'm not trying to knock LEDs I love them but from what I have read on the subject the penetration is not quite as good. Overall point is that training is important. If you didnt take so much growth of the bottom I think your yeilds would suffer.

cottageman

cottageman

Interested on what your planning with this statement? Wasn’t aware that a circuit could be upgraded without changing out the real limitation, which is the current carrying capacity of the conductor.
maybe I said the wrong thing but I upgraded from a 15 amp to 20 amp breaker. Any more and I would have to re run thicker wire and that's where it gets painful and expensive. Its only 3 or 4 more amps but its more than enough for 200 more watts for leds

cottageman

cottageman

Looks like more light lower than LEDs. I'm not trying to knock LEDs I love them but from what I have read on the subject the penetration is not quite as good. Overall point is that training is important. If you didnt take so much growth of the bottom I think your yeilds would suffer.
Comer is right when it comes to penetration.This is a great video by scynce led that explains most of this perfectly.

Phylex

Phylex

Running my HLG600 QB set up @ 100% power is drawing a little over 5 amps per the Kill a watt. I have it turned down to about 80% and I'm drawing a little over 4 amps. A general rule is only using about 75% of your rated breaker amperage. Hopefully something in this is helpful for you.

Dan789

Dan789

maybe I said the wrong thing but I upgraded from a 15 amp to 20 amp breaker. Any more and I would have to re run thicker wire and that's where it gets painful and expensive. Its only 3 or 4 more amps but its more than enough for 200 more watts for leds
So not to bust your balls but: #14 gauge wiring (popular in romex, white color jacket) is good for 15 amps current, and only 80% of that for continuous use. leaving you with 12 amps or roughly 1440 watts. # 12 gauge wiring (romex, yellow color jacket) good for 20 amps, and 80% of that 16 amps or 1920 watts for continuous loads (continuous load any use over 3 hours at max current... Lighting would fall into that category of continuous... just sayin; you're just fooling yourself, as there's no such thing as upgrading breaker size based on???
There's also voltage drop which increases as current increases, which is also something...

cottageman

cottageman

So not to bust your balls but: #14 gauge wiring (popular in romex, white color jacket) is good for 15 amps current, and only 80% of that for continuous use. leaving you with 12 amps or roughly 1440 watts. # 12 gauge wiring (romex, yellow color jacket) good for 20 amps, and 80% of that 16 amps or 1920 watts for continuous loads (continuous load any use over 3 hours at max current... Lighting would fall into that category of continuous... just sayin; you're just fooling yourself, as there's no such thing as upgrading breaker size based on???
There's also voltage drop which increases as current increases, which is also something...
I brought my electrician which wired my 2k sq foot warehouse and he himself said I would have about 3 more amps to play with because the cable could hold that much. I have tested it and I definitely have more power to play with. I am not saying you are wrong but it has worked for me. I haven't tripped anything since I upgraded and I use more power now. 12 amps wasn't enough for me but 16 amps is and upgrading to 20 amps lets me have those extra amps so how am I fooling myself?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Sure my yields would suffer, but either lighting you use will have losses if you let the popcorn buds stay. I use 2' less space and pull the same weight running 530 watts of led's as I do using plants running under 750 watts of DE HPS and the led plants are half the height as the HPS.
I'm not a fan on optics on led's from personal experience and definitely not if using UV.
I can run my lights a lot closer than their example running strips so I'm equal to or greater than their penetration. So to me they use optics to make-up for shortcomings on the design fixture of their lighting.

I'm not here to argue with you just, trying to get you to think out of the box of these Advertiser.

Dan789

Dan789

I brought my electrician which wired my 2k sq foot warehouse and he himself said I would have about 3 more amps to play with because the cable could hold that much. I have tested it and I definitely have more power to play with. I am not saying you are wrong but it has worked for me. I haven't tripped anything since I upgraded and I use more power now. 12 amps wasn't enough for me but 16 amps is and upgrading to 20 amps lets me have those extra amps so how am I fooling myself?
It’s your place, far be it for me to suggest you should do something your “electrician” told you, you could do...
PS basing your estimation on a breaker tripping as the lowest common denominator is a bad bet, look up some of the breakers being tested on YouTube that don’t trip...no matter what amperage.
Like I said, just trying to illuminate the deficiencies in the presented logic...
I stay with what I said originally and can back it all up with the sections in the NEC, all bullshit aside...upgrade away.

cottageman

cottageman

From what I understood the wiring I had was capable of upgrading to what I wanted but it was just never upgraded to what it could hold, so a simple switch to a higher breaker allows more am
It’s your place, far be it for me to suggest you should do something your “electrician” told you, you could do...
PS basing your estimation on a breaker tripping as the lowest common denominator is a bad bet, look up some of the breakers being tested on YouTube that don’t trip...no matter what amperage.
Like I said, just trying to illuminate the deficiencies in the presented logic...
I stay with what I said originally and can back it all up with the sections in the NEC, all bullshit aside...upgrade away.
im not disagreeing with you I just said that cause I know next to nothing about electricity so I did not want you to think I did something stupid and tried it myself cause I know that's a very bad habit when it comes to electricity. From the very little that I understood I had the proper wiring to allow more amps but the breaker was holding it back from not operating at full (80%) capacity. What you said in the previous post about certain gauge wiring being able to hold certain capacities of amperage and watts is the same sort of thing i heard from my electrician and said that a simple upgrade would fix the problem.

Dan789

Dan789

15 amp circuit #14 awg wire, good for 12 amps, 1440 watts maximum, continuous load, 15 amp c/b no matter how much it’s loaded. 20 amp circuit, #12 awg wire good for 16 amps, 1920 watts maximum, continuous load, 20 amp c/b no matter what the load is. These are constants, across the country, no variables. No Electrical professional on the planet arbitrarily puts a smaller breaker on 15 or 20 amp circuits. PS, circuit breakers are really short circuit protection, not so much current limiting. Anyone depending on a $3.50 circuit breaker for current limitation will be surprised when it doesn’t trip upon exceeding the rated capacity...
Most circuit breakers if not tripped on a regular basis, may never trip, it’s called “exercising” your circuit breakers, should be done once a year, but no one does it, read rolling the dice. Consumers need to heed warnings, do it or not. Can’t make it more simple, out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom