LED Lights for 5x5x6.5

• Thread starter OntarioGoldenHash
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

figgie

My guess is that a 2 burner would actually keep up but titan and the rest put in thier co2 burners not for residential use...

O

OntarioGoldenHash

Getting back in track here regarding lights.

What you are saying is that 1000w is overkill for a 5X5X6.5, my issue is height, so a light around 700w would be more ideal. Thanks

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Getting back in track here regarding lights.

What you are saying is that 1000w is overkill for a 5X5X6.5, my issue is height, so a light around 700w would be more ideal. Thanks
Yes, pretty much. You can push a bit higher intensities with CO2 but for that to really benefit you, your grow area should be sealed. Tents with ventilation systems are not going to keep the CO2 inside the tent very long. While your plants may receive some benefits, a lot of CO2 will be wasted because of the airflow through the tent.

O

OntarioGoldenHash

Yes, pretty much. You can push a bit higher intensities with CO2 but for that to really benefit you, your grow area should be sealed. Tents with ventilation systems are not going to keep the CO2 inside the tent very long. While your plants may receive some benefits, a lot of CO2 will be wasted because of the airflow through the tent.
Yeah, I read up more last night and found that a grow area ideally needs to be sealed. Would putting an inlet filter cause issues whilst using a 6" outlet fan. Thanks.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would buy a 1000w bar style LED for a 5x5 - future proofs you a bit in case you want to expand, and you can improve efficiency and just run the light dimmed to 80% if you need to.

That's just my opinion though.
Ah, but you can add more wattage with an additional light later on if needed and the $400-$600 saved could go towards more pressing needs .... like building a sealed room for using CO2.

I'm of a belief that using more fixtures properly positioned has more value than one large light that can only be positioned in one place. Obviously 2 sides to this. Neither being wrong.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Ah, but you can add more wattage with an additional light later on if needed and the $400-$600 saved could go towards more pressing needs .... like building a sealed room for using CO2.

I'm of a belief that using more fixtures properly positioned has more value than one large light that can only be positioned in one place. Obviously 2 sides to this. Neither being wrong.

I agree on the multiple panels for optimal coverage thing, but speaking from my own experience I wish I would have just bought a SE7000 instead of doing what I've done with my 4x4.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I agree on the multiple panels for optimal coverage thing, but speaking from my own experience I wish I would have just bought a SE7000 instead of doing what I've done with my 4x4.
Really, the best answer is what fits the OP's budget best. However, that 1000w beast will fry at 100% in a 6.5 ft tall tent. It's pushing almost 3000 umols and whether or not the OP feels it's money well spent running the light at 75% with the idea of expansion is something only he or she can decide. Especially considering how much the PhotonTek light costs.

O

OntarioGoldenHash

Small steps is key I feel. I am super super new to growing, still on my first grow lol. However I wish to step up my game from a small grow box, to a tent, to multiple tents and/or dedicated grow space.

So starting with a ~800w light I feel is the right move now, budget is not an issue but on the other hand I don't want to throw money away, and I really appreciate and value everyone's comments and experience.

Let's leave the 1000w lights for a future project, who knows where LEDs will be when we get there.

So for now...yes I know 3rd time (I think), I've got my eyes on the Photontek X 600W PRO.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Small steps is key I feel. I am super super new to growing, still on my first grow lol. However I wish to step up my game from a small grow box, to a tent, to multiple tents and/or dedicated grow space.

So starting with a ~800w light I feel is the right move now, budget is not an issue but on the other hand I don't want to throw money away, and I really appreciate and value everyone's comments and experience.

Let's leave the 1000w lights for a future project, who knows where LEDs will be when we get there.

So for now...yes I know 3rd time (I think), I've got my eyes on the Photontek X 600W PRO.
I think you'll be happy with the light. I don't know what your options are for purchasing since your screen name suggests you're in Canada ... but where I live I could have my hands on that light within 15 minutes. I've stood under both the 600w and the 1000w. They are very nice lights. It features a magnetic bar on one side which suggests to me that the light bars are not in a fixed position and can be moved or possibly even removed to adjust the wattage of the light. I just remembered that. I hope that doesn't skew your thoughts.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Could even try a lumatek zeus pro 600w led...but i keep this at a minimum 20" away with a 7ft ceiling over a 5x4 area and light ends up maxed out as far as i can put it up...bar this grow going now..when you consider all factors for eg..pot stand and tray 10-15cm pot 30 cm .plant grows to a 1mtr-1.10 then add the 60cm light to canopy and all of a sudden your maxed out.but if you can keep your plants under 1mtr your good..

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Could even try a lumatek zeus pro 600w led...but i keep this at a minimum 20" away with a 7ft ceiling over a 5x4 area and light ends up maxed out as far as i can put it up...bar this grow going now..when you consider all factors for eg..pot stand and tray 10-15cm pot 30 cm .plant grows to a 1mtr-1.10 then add the 60cm light to canopy and all of a sudden your maxed out.but if you can keep your plants under 1mtr your good..
That Lumatek Zeus is the same light. The only difference is it's marketed with the PhotonTek name in North America. I have no idea why they have done this.

O

OntarioGoldenHash

This light looks good on paper:

https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-guide/mars-hydro-fc-e8000-par-and-epar-tests-and-review/ - 2022 review
$1,222.20 - code CCFC

Vs
https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-guide/photontek-x600w-pro-par-test-review/ - 2020 review
C$1,169.10 - code growcast

Mars LED looks like it has better edge coverage for a 5X5. Price is about the same. Thoughts? Thanks.

High5_it_in

High5_it_in

I'm just assuming it's a Mars Hydro 5 x 5" x 6'5" tent, so it's roughly $200? maybe instead of letting that tent push you one way or another, just look at the lights without putting that tents height restriction on your light, most lights are dimmable anyway

Over 3-4 years now I have bought a couple HLG 300's, and a HLG 550. They're nice lights probably better than I need or deserve. I also have a little ChilLED Tech X1 mini 65w. If I was to buy everything again I might likely go with ChilLED Tech now?, but I'm still happy with HLG. Whatever you decide on, make sure to take your time and really think about your setup, future setup, it'll probably be that your grows will take on different requirements over time, and you'll need a setup that's adaptable. I ended up having 6 tents(wtf?) and I'm usually plotting and scheming the best way to employ them depending what is getting popped. I have 3 inexpensive tents AC Infinity 36" x 20" x 62"($90), AC Infinity 4 x 4($130), Mars Hydro 3" 3' x 3' 3" x 5' 9"($100) then 3 tents that are a little more expensive 2-Gorilla 2 x 4($250ea) and a Gorilla 5 x 5($375) The AC Infinity tents are a great value I like em, Gorilla's are nice but twice the price but I like them too

Really if I myself were to buy a light today it'd be a ChilLED Tech X6 mini (flower)

Anthem

Anthem

This light looks good on paper:

https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-guide/mars-hydro-fc-e8000-par-and-epar-tests-and-review/ - 2022 review
$1,222.20 - code CCFC

Vs
https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-guide/photontek-x600w-pro-par-test-review/ - 2020 review
C$1,169.10 - code growcast

Mars LED looks like it has better edge coverage for a 5X5. Price is about the same. Thoughts? Thanks.
I have been staying away from these LED light recommendations for some time because no matter who it is there is always someone commenting on how great their light actually is.
Here is my experience with a couple light manufacturers
Mars, I had a purble it last me for about 2 years, I gifted it to someone and it lasted another 6 months.
Next think Mars were good lights I purchased 2 TS-1000 I believe. Both same problem within 2 weeks of each other. Totally hassle even thou they were still under warranty.
No more Mars
Next was Gavita 1650e (since replaced by 1700e and I believe they have a new version as well
I was told the ROi-680's were on par with the Gavita so I purchased a couple. One would not shut all the way off. But Growers Choice did provide a replacement in a timely manner.
From my experience Growers Choice just reverse engineered the Fluence Spider 2i.
I am not going to tell anyone what light to buy because all it does is start argument's
For me I am a buy it once and use it kind of person. The last thing I want to do is be half way thru a grow and have a light go out. So I tend to spend money on lights and equipment. So if I was looking at LED lights I would only consider Fluence, Gavita or HLG. The argument will come that my Chinese light is exactly the same as these. They may be and they may no be. I do not know for sure. All I know is that I do not have light problems.

High5_it_in

High5_it_in

I feel the same way about equipment. I'd rather pay more for what I perceive through reviews etc are better quality more reliable products. I'm also often interested in what the people in some of the grow podcasts I follow are using and then research them. Main thing is to spend a lot of time weighing all the options and check out a bunch of reviews. That ChilLED growcraft X6 mini in a 5 x 5 would be pretty good but I might decide that I'd rather have 2 of the X6 mini instead of a 4 x 4 ChilLED tech light just for the sake of added modularity

Anthem

Anthem

I feel the same way about equipment. I'd rather pay more for what I perceive through reviews etc are better quality more reliable products. I'm also often interested in what the people in some of the grow podcasts I follow are using and then research them. Main thing is to spend a lot of time weighing all the options and check out a bunch of reviews. That ChilLED growcraft X6 mini in a 5 x 5 would be pretty good but I might decide that I'd rather have 2 of the X6 mini instead of a 4 x 4 ChilLED tech light just for the sake of added modularity
I have been getting the Gavita 1700E or Fluence Spyder 2i for 1k each US. I see no reason to change to this product based on the information provided. They are trying to bend some of their numbers but at the same time are pretty open about it, you just have to understand how to read the information.
If you really think about it Fluence was orginally BML I believe it was and is now owned by Osram.
next we have Gavita that has been the leader in HPS for what 20 plus years
I see all these new best of the best lights and I just see no reason to use a different light. It is kind of like anything in life. It might seem like more money until you get down to the nuts and bolts.
How is a small manufacturer going to out do the money behind these two companies? Because at the end of the day they have pretty large pocket books and budgets to spend on R&D.
For me it is pretty simple buy quality with customer service.

High5_it_in

High5_it_in

I agree I like companies that answer the phone, and stand behind their product. I'm not really buying on a super tight budget, it's a hobby. Nothing needs to be purchased immediately, so I can piece it together a little at a time. It can definitely add up though. I have more than I need already, it just gets to the point of wanting to try something else, or saying fuck it. When the government is pilfering ya for $35-50k each year ya get desensitized to pushing the place order button lol 🥳🍰🎂

Latest posts

Top Bottom