Led not sure what to buy?

• Thread starter concreter68
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

concreter68

I am using hps light 2 x 600 watt ,I want to try led ,am thinking about spider farmer se7000 ,
my tent is 3 meters x 1.5 meters of 10 fox 5 ft ,is this a good choice?
where can u get them at a good price ? why are some of the lights like mars or California lights so expensive,are they that much better? thanks for help ,I am just learning.

Beazy

Beazy

I personally wouldn’t change !! All my buds have switched to Leds and are ALL switching back !! NOT in Cali tho so cannot say as far as elect usage !! Best of luck whatever you decide ! I honesty haven’t run any LEDs so can’t say ones better than the other !!

MercDod

MercDod

Good Day Concreter,

It seems to me the most single rule of thumb I come across on my research states you should have 35 true watts (not LED equivalent watts) per square foot. That's width X depth X 35watts. I would also recommend to get a rectangular light for a rectangular tent and a square light for a square tent unless you get two square lights for a rectangular tent for a little more versatility. I would look for something that several have had good success with and has adjustable brightness. Other good quality's you might consider are drivers that can be outside the tent if heat is an issue for you and good quality parts ( some people swear by samsung diodes). Most all these things are basically opinions and you will get people that will agree and those that have other ideas. Do the research and decide on something that makes you happy based on the research you come up with.

I have a 4X4 tent so based on the math I should have a LED light that has 560 true watts, however my TS 3000 has a advertised 450 true watts (actually 439 by an independent meter) and it suits my needs.

Happy growing!

Last edited:
bighempn

bighempn

LEDs do hold their merits so don’t let others discourage you. You just have to alter your growing style a bit perhaps. I run both DE HPS 1000w lights and LEDs. The DEs rock no question about it. They smash on the weight for sure. LEDs put out a more full spectrum though and give very nice quality and work great provided that you get quality LEDs with the Samsung 301B diodes and osram 660nm deep reds for late bloom.(most of the higher end LEDs have these or similar however I think the Samsung diodes are currently the best on the market). I have some Chinese gavita 1700 led knock-offs( phlizon 645watt LEDs) that are only 450$ each in one of my rooms and they kick ass but they don’t have the penetration or the over lap of hps DEs so you need to run them way low to the deck. I’m talking like 9-15” above canopy and strip the plants damn near bald by day 10-18 of flower. I just harvested that room and did about 2.2lbs/light. I didn’t get the room deleafed properly like I normally do so yields suffered a bit and had a lot of larf at the bottoms of plants….LEDs are also much better suited for tent grows. Hps lights do work great but it’s a struggle to keep temps in check in the summer months in most places.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I am using hps light 2 x 600 watt ,I want to try led ,am thinking about spider farmer se7000 ,
where can u get them at a good price ? why are some of the lights like mars or California lights so expensive,are they that much better? thanks for help ,I am just learning.
I think you'd need two SE7000s for such a large tent, but the light might be a bit intense.

growsince79

growsince79

In a 10 x 5, I would need 1600-2000w to be well lit. 3x 600w lights would be perfect. 3x 520w min will work. Or if heat isn't a problem, you can run 2 leds with a hps in between.

C

concreter68

LEDs do hold their merits so don’t let others discourage you. You just have to alter your growing style a bit perhaps. I run both DE HPS 1000w lights and LEDs. The DEs rock no question about it. They smash on the weight for sure. LEDs put out a more full spectrum though and give very nice quality and work great provided that you get quality LEDs with the Samsung 301B diodes and osram 660nm deep reds for late bloom.(most of the higher end LEDs have these or similar however I think the Samsung diodes are currently the best on the market). I have some Chinese gavita 1700 led knock-offs( phlizon 645watt LEDs) that are only 450$ each in one of my rooms and they kick ass but they don’t have the penetration or the over lap of hps DEs so you need to run them way low to the deck. I’m talking like 9-15” above canopy and strip the plants damn near bald by day 10-18 of flower. I just harvested that room and did about 2.2lbs/light. I didn’t get the room deleafed properly like I normally do so yields suffered a bit and had a lot of larf at the bottoms of plants….LEDs are also much better suited for tent grows. Hps lights do work great but it’s a struggle to keep temps in check in the summer months in most places.
Thanks for info,I am starting to think I may just keep the hps lights ,this is my second grow ,they have turned out great the first grow,
I want to keep it simple but grow nice bud ,I am in qld Australia it get to 40 c in my shed in summer ,I haven’t grown over summer yet ,I have a small ac hopefully that will keep it a bit cooler or I may have to get a larger ac ,do the leds run a lot cooler than hps ?thanks for help .

C

concreter68

In a 10 x 5, I would need 1600-2000w to be well lit. 3x 600w lights would be perfect. 3x 520w min will work. Or if heat isn't a problem, you can run 2 leds with a hps in between.
i Have got good results with first grow ,would I get larger denser plants with more watts ?u are saying I should have another 300 watts ,
it wou get hotter in the tent in summer would be my only concern and electric bill I am waiting for solar panels for house at the moment ,
I think I will see how I go this summer with the lights I have ,and research a bit more ,just about bought 2 spider farmer se7000 yesterday
think I will just wait a bit longer thanks for info.

Newbie84

Newbie84

Personally I'm all in on HLG. Their LEDs are amazing quality, no BS gimmick testing etc. They are pricey but use the new Samsung diodes. If you are a veteran you can email them and they will give you 25% off. There are also always coupons for 10-20% off. I went refurbished route and used my vet discount and got a $900 light for $400 or so shipped. I use a 4x4 tent and have the 550v2 rspec which is good from start to finish. The new model is the 600rspec but check them out. They tell you on each light what the actual footprint is. My girls have been loving life under my HLG, 30 days old and loving it. I'll never use any other light again, and the quality / customer service is top notch.

IMG 20220624 142813
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks for info,I am starting to think I may just keep the hps lights ,this is my second grow ,they have turned out great the first grow,
I want to keep it simple but grow nice bud ,I am in qld Australia it get to 40 c in my shed in summer ,I haven’t grown over summer yet ,I have a small ac hopefully that will keep it a bit cooler or I may have to get a larger ac ,do the leds run a lot cooler than hps ?thanks for help .
Yes led run cooler than hid. And the se7000 has the ability to remote mount the driver. You might look at CO2 to run higher temps as an option.

C

concreter68

Personally I'm all in on HLG. Their LEDs are amazing quality, no BS gimmick testing etc. They are pricey but use the new Samsung diodes. If you are a veteran you can email them and they will give you 25% off. There are also always coupons for 10-20% off. I went refurbished route and used my vet discount and got a $900 light for $400 or so shipped. I use a 4x4 tent and have the 550v2 rspec which is good from start to finish. The new model is the 600rspec but check them out. They tell you on each light what the actual footprint is. My girls have been loving life under my HLG, 30 days old and loving it. I'll never use any other light again, and the quality / customer service is top notch.
I am from Australia what is a veteran ?( what war veteran ?) thanks.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Does Australian veteran count ( we always back up usa )?
I would contact them and ask.

Top Bottom