LED Setup for 48 x 48 x 80in (4 x 4 x 6.6 ft)

• Thread starter PiffinOut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PiffinOut

PiffinOut

I have a 4 x 4 x 6.6 foot tent and am looking for an effective light setup. I want to spend once and spend right. Im not looking for cheapo Chinese manufactured fixtures of questionable status, longevity, and most importantly safety. Electric costs is no issue as its covered but thermodynamics is a concern.

I was considering a cheap bulb fixture along the lines of Halogen (car bulbs), MH or CMH or the like but then I realized that while the excess heat in the room is no issue in the infamous NorEastern winter.... I have no air conditioning in the room over the summer, and since winter is here no longer coming, its summer that is on the bend.

For perspective, the tent would be enclosed in a bedroom that has limited venting/AC capacity due to no windows and a sliding door. . In the winter excess heat from the bulbs is no problem and is actually encouraged because I currently use a room heater in this room in question over the winter to keep it at 66-70 with my house thermostat meter set to 60-63max for most other rooms (big house means keeping the whole house at higher temps costs exponentially more and its just me and the wife:we are usually in the same room together, keeping the house heat thermostat to stay above 60 is mainly to make sure we dont run into winter related pipe and water issues).

In any case, without going into a rant again, the room could get as hot as 88 in the summers with no AC available and uses a room heater at current during the winter. I could only imagine how hot the room would get with MH or CMH or other heat intensive setup in the summer.. As such atleast for the summer I believe I would need atleast T5s or CFLs or LEDs ,which I have really been considering.
I could always get MHs Halogens OR CMH or what have yous for cheap come fall in time to replace the space heater. But for the coming summer, I think I may really need to consider LEDs as my only option.

CFLs, LEDs, led COBS, led strips. Let me hear your thoughts, Im a total newb to the Horticulture game but have gotten my masters at the Aquarium lifestyle. Coming from the aquazotic game I know how to build my own solderless LED Cob or LED strip and possible could even learn to soder if need be. Infact I have like 10 Artic 12 CO fans coming to my house to either use to build a few active sinked Cobs out of, or if the heatsink is not the right base size to use as cheap efficient hanging fans lol. Im also open to buying pre manufactured items so long as its quality.

So frens, in a 4x4x80. What is your optimal light or DIY build preferrence for say that of the hot sometimes humid NorthEast summers (60-90F) in a room with no ACs and just a sliding door.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

Anything with lm301 Samsung chips and mean well driver. In a 4x4 you want anywhere from 480 watts to 560 watts.

Good hunting đź‘Ť

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I have a DIY HLG fixture that I'm happy with, so far (Horticultural Lighting Group).

In my former growing situation, I had to take summers off unless I put a few plants outside.

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

I have a DIY HLG fixture that I'm happy with, so far (Horticultural Lighting Group).

In my former growing situation, I had to take summers off unless I put a few plants outside.

Do we have similar sized tents? Which one specifically, Ill look into it as an option.

Keymaker

Keymaker

I just bought a timber cypress 8 725 watts they also make a six. for my 4x4 tent quality and bright as can be. I'm not a fan of hlg had 3 of there lights had issues and spoke to 2 different people in the company and got to different stories. But I tend to have the worst luck with products if theres something wrong with it I buy it lol. I also have the timber cobs redwood solid built light. I like there customer service allot. but lead times on a new light are 2-4 weeks they update It on there site. Now a days everything comes from china and they are just built here. But my votes for timber I know lots of people have hlg and no problem. But a big thing is the cardboard falls off the quantum boards, lights run fine with out its so they can get there etl listing. Maybe they fixed the issues I don't know, They wanted me to ship my lights backs and get them glued back on. So I bought timbers. But lots of good leds out there. hlgs have to be quite a distance away unless you get the scorpion and 6'6" isn't that high imho. I rambled, yep I did it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have a 4 x 4 x 6.6 foot tent and am looking for an effective light setup. I want to spend once and spend right. Im not looking for cheapo Chinese manufactured fixtures of questionable status, longevity, and most importantly safety. Electric costs is no issue as its covered but thermodynamics is a concern.

I was considering a cheap bulb fixture along the lines of Halogen (car bulbs), MH or CMH or the like but then I realized that while the excess heat in the room is no issue in the infamous NorEastern winter.... I have no air conditioning in the room over the summer, and since winter is here no longer coming, its summer that is on the bend.

For perspective, the tent would be enclosed in a bedroom that has limited venting/AC capacity due to no windows and a sliding door. . In the winter excess heat from the bulbs is no problem and is actually encouraged because I currently use a room heater in this room in question over the winter to keep it at 66-70 with my house thermostat meter set to 60-63max for most other rooms (big house means keeping the whole house at higher temps costs exponentially more and its just me and the wife:we are usually in the same room together, keeping the house heat thermostat to stay above 60 is mainly to make sure we dont run into winter related pipe and water issues).

In any case, without going into a rant again, the room could get as hot as 88 in the summers with no AC available and uses a room heater at current during the winter. I could only imagine how hot the room would get with MH or CMH or other heat intensive setup in the summer.. As such atleast for the summer I believe I would need atleast T5s or CFLs or LEDs ,which I have really been considering.
I could always get MHs Halogens OR CMH or what have yous for cheap come fall in time to replace the space heater. But for the coming summer, I think I may really need to consider LEDs as my only option.

CFLs, LEDs, led COBS, led strips. Let me hear your thoughts, Im a total newb to the Horticulture game but have gotten my masters at the Aquarium lifestyle. Coming from the aquazotic game I know how to build my own solderless LED Cob or LED strip and possible could even learn to soder if need be. Infact I have like 10 Artic 12 CO fans coming to my house to either use to build a few active sinked Cobs out of, or if the heatsink is not the right base size to use as cheap efficient hanging fans lol. Im also open to buying pre manufactured items so long as its quality.

So frens, in a 4x4x80. What is your optimal light or DIY build preferrence for say that of the hot sometimes humid NorthEast summers (60-90F) in a room with no ACs and just a sliding door.

LEDs run much cooler than any other kind of lighting to my knowledge. The LM301 Samsung led chip based lighting source using a Meanwell driver is sound advice .... But, you still won't have the results you desire unless you can control the room temperatures. LED lighting produces less heat than HID ... but it's still heat and you will need to find a way to keep your grow room temperatures well under 90F. The plants would prefer low 80's under the lights. I would consider a window AC unit.

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

I just bought a timber cypress 8 725 watts they also make a six. for my 4x4 tent quality and bright as can be. I'm not a fan of hlg had 3 of there lights had issues and spoke to 2 different people in the company and got to different stories. But I tend to have the worst luck with products if theres something wrong with it I buy it lol. I also have the timber cobs redwood solid built light. I like there customer service allot. but lead times on a new light are 2-4 weeks they update It on there site. Now a days everything comes from china and they are just built here. But my votes for timber I know lots of people have hlg and no problem. But a big thing is the cardboard falls off the quantum boards, lights run fine with out its so they can get there etl listing. Maybe they fixed the issues I don't know, They wanted me to ship my lights backs and get them glued back on. So I bought timbers. But lots of good leds out there. hlgs have to be quite a distance away unless you get the scorpion and 6'6" isn't that high imho. I rambled, yep I did it.
nah u didnt ramble that was necessary info. if you got a timber redwoods would you think putting the hlg in the middle would be a good idea as a center light? im a diy guy so i could probably make my own redwood in the future just using cobs and active cooling and a meanwell. if the only big issue with hlgs are the cardboard sign me up, i can do without the cardboard on a light and if its really necessary i can glue it back myself i bet. maybe ill get a qb just to start off and then build my own series of cobs or strips to work around it.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

I wont suggest anything I have no experience with. As for lm301 samsung boards with mean well drivers, I only have experience with kingbrite fixtures. As far as I've seen, nobody had had any issues with them. Been running mine solid for a while now. There is no cardboard or anything strange like that. You can get them close without bleaching your greens, and they are less than half the price of "name brand" equivalents. Also the drivers can be dismounted and moved outside the growspace, this helps quite a bit with heat.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I wont suggest anything I have no experience with. As for lm301 samsung boards with mean well drivers, I only have experience with kingbrite fixtures. As far as I've seen, nobody had had any issues with them. Been running mine solid for a while now. There is no cardboard or anything strange like that. You can get them close without bleaching your greens, and they are less than half the price of "name brand" equivalents. Also the drivers can be dismounted and moved outside the growspace, this helps quite a bit with heat.

I'll also vouch for Kingbrite. Great customer service, and zero issues with the 6 kingbrite boards I own.

Keymaker

Keymaker

Don't see why you would need more light. But I suppose you could, Right now you can get a hlg600 for 630 https://hlgleds.com CODE GREATWHITEBUD you can use the code with other models as well. Your gonna have to dim it probably also They distance recommended is 28-36 Your gonna need some short plants. by the time you hang it and leave enough room for the air to circulate of the heatsink. The cobs 18" the cypress down to 6"

Latest posts

Top Bottom