LED suggestions for 3x3 tent

• Thread starter StalkerAF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Hello all. On my 27th hour of light researching and just when I think my minds made up…it just isn’t. First world problems.

I will be supplementing with co2 so looking for a high led ppfd output. Will be using the same 3x3x6 space for veg and flowing. As for cost, I don’t mind spending more to support a good company with good product and customer service!

Thanks in advance

T_Dub

T_Dub

I am no expert….but I went thru your research process a few years ago.

If I were to shop today, I think I’d go with HLG. I purchased my LEDs from a smaller outfit that produced high quality LEDs but ultimately closed shop, so my warranty is worthless. Other brands like Electric Sky now closing up shop too, so I’d stick with a big name manufacturer for warranty alone. ( plus HLG has a good reputation).

Plenty of other good brands. I’d also consider some of the brands sold by the online grow stores as they tend to have higher quality than Amazon. Brands like Gavita, Growers Choice, Black Dog, etc. Here is an example.

A1A10599 B5A2 4F51 9407 985F55E144F0
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I will be surprised to find a 3x3 space grow light that will constitute supplementing with co2

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

I am no expert….but I went thru your research process a few years ago.

If I were to shop today, I think I’d go with HLG. I purchased my LEDs from a smaller outfit that produced high quality LEDs but ultimately closed shop, so my warranty is worthless. Other brands like Electric Sky now closing up shop too, so I’d stick with a big name manufacturer for warranty alone. ( plus HLG has a good reputation).

Plenty of other good brands. I’d also consider some of the brands sold by the online grow stores as they tend to have higher quality than Amazon. Brands like Gavita, Growers Choice, Black Dog, etc. Here is an example.
Thank you for your input.

I’ve been looking at the HLG 600 & 300 RSpec and the black bird which I don’t think I have the space for. Would the 600 be too much for the 3x3 space?

Also looking at the PhotonTek sq300 which seems to be a great light for my space, might not have the output to justify supplementing with co2? I bring up co2 because I have the ability to use it but my space seems to becoming an issue. Like everyone which I had a larger space to utilize.

Black dog I would love to test that product out but doesn’t make sense to spend that that much in the small space that I have?

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

I will be surprised to find a 3x3 space grow light that will constitute supplementing with co2
I am learning your statement is true. I have a small co2 burner from my last setup that I’m trying to figure out how to utilize without scouring the plants with overly powered lights.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I use a 650R with UVA in my Gorilla 3 x 3 x 7'-11". I like having high power and the flexablity it gives me. Will run mild to wild. Can keep it close to the canopy and dial it back during the summer months and stay cool. Come winter like the below zero event we just had, raise the light up in the tent and crank the dimmer up to heat the tent as the central heat unit struggles to keep the home warm and toasty. The whole time keeping near perfect ppfd levels along the walls and in the corners. For me it's the perfect 3 x 3 lighting solution. I use a Apogge meter and dial it right in. So simple a stoner can do it. I use a HLG 100 V2 @ 4000k for seedling and very early veg hung from the 650R. The best lighting system one can have in a 3 x 3 with some height in your enclosure. Mic Drop!

Setup

650R

T_Dub

T_Dub

I’ve been looking at the HLG 600 & 300 RSpec and the black bird which I don’t think I have the space for. Would the 600 be too much for the 3x3 space?

Also looking at the PhotonTek sq300 which seems to be a great light for my space, might not have the output to justify supplementing with co2? I bring up co2 because I have the ability to use it but my space seems to becoming an issue. Like everyone which I had a larger space to utilize.

Black dog I would love to test that product out but doesn’t make sense to spend that that much in the small space that I have?
I would go for as much light as you can (within reason) as long as it has a dimmer. I’m running two older tech 320 watt Timber 3vl (now Highgrove Lighting) COB LEDs with dimmers across 8 square feet of space (I have a 2x4). 640 watts is overkill, but I wasn’t pleased with my flower results using only one 320 watt unit. The HLG 600 is dimmable between 160 to 600 watt. Between the 300 and 600…..I’d go 600 and dim it down. If you ever think you might upgrade to a 4x4 or 5x5, I would strongly consider the 650R as Blastfact showed (very very nice!) (Buy once, cry once).

Personally, I wouldn’t mess with CO2. You need a closed environment, and you’ll be running an exhaust fan continuously to vent out the heat generated by the LED. Just my two cents….but best of luck and have fun! Experimenting is part of the enjoyment of growing.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

I would go for as much light as you can (within reason) as long as it has a dimmer. I’m running two older tech 320 watt Timber 3vl (now Highgrove Lighting) COB LEDs with dimmers across 8 square feet of space (I have a 2x4). 640 watts is overkill, but I wasn’t pleased with my flower results using only one 320 watt unit. The HLG 600 is dimmable between 160 to 600 watt. Between the 300 and 600…..I’d go 600 and dim it down. If you ever think you might upgrade to a 4x4 or 5x5, I would strongly consider the 650R as Blastfact showed (very very nice!) (Buy once, cry once).

Personally, I wouldn’t mess with CO2. You need a closed environment, and you’ll be running an exhaust fan continuously to vent out the heat generated by the LED. Just my two cents….but best of luck and have fun! Experimenting is part of the enjoyment of growing.
Great information thank you.

I am looking into that 650r which looks like it had been discontinued and I’m researching to see what replaced it, 700r is my guess. And I would definitely see myself going with a larger tent when that time comes so buying once and crying once makes since to me.

As for the co2 side, I have a small sealed closet space under the garage stairs and run the tent in an open loop inside the sealed closet so minimal co2 is lost, at least that’s what I think. Hopefully that makes sense.

I didn’t really consider overpowering what’s needed and dimming the light to the correct ppfd suitable for the environment. Definitely not interested in spending $400 on a par light meeting but looks like there’s a phone app photone that seems pretty decent. I completely understand the app will not compare to a high end device but probably good enough for what I’m looking to do?

Thanks again!

freezeland2

freezeland2

I have a hlg 300L Rspec in a 3x3. It does the job. If I was looking for another light to put in a 3x3 I’d look close at the hlg 350R.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Great information thank you.

I am looking into that 650r which looks like it had been discontinued and I’m researching to see what replaced it, 700r is my guess. And I would definitely see myself going with a larger tent when that time comes so buying once and crying once makes since to me.

As for the co2 side, I have a small sealed closet space under the garage stairs and run the tent in an open loop inside the sealed closet so minimal co2 is lost, at least that’s what I think. Hopefully that makes sense.

I didn’t really consider overpowering what’s needed and dimming the light to the correct ppfd suitable for the environment. Definitely not interested in spending $400 on a par light meeting but looks like there’s a phone app photone that seems pretty decent. I completely understand the app will not compare to a high end device but probably good enough for what I’m looking to do?

Thanks again!
They have 650R's in the refurb section.

Cannagar

Cannagar

Hello all. On my 27th hour of light researching and just when I think my minds made up…it just isn’t. First world problems.

I will be supplementing with co2 so looking for a high led ppfd output. Will be using the same 3x3x6 space for veg and flowing. As for cost, I don’t mind spending more to support a good company with good product and customer service!

Thanks in advance
When I ran a 3x3 tent still I would use 2 Mars Hydro TS-600’s. In my current 4x4 setup I just added 1 and it works great for me. Whats nice is I can lower part of the lighting and not the rest. And if one light gets damaged or gives out; im only replacing 1 cheap one instead of my whole setup.

Honestly, in smaller grows you really dont need that much light intensity as you could fall prey to being overzealous and light burning your plants. Having weaker lights can let you have more vertical grow space because your plants can get closer to your lights.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
When I ran a 3x3 tent still I would use 2 Mars Hydro TS-600’s. In my current 4x4 setup I just added 1 and it works great for me. Whats nice is I can lower part of the lighting and not the rest. And if one light gets damaged or gives out; im only replacing 1 cheap one instead of my whole setup.

Honestly, in smaller grows you really dont need that much light intensity as you could fall prey to being overzealous and light burning your plants. Having weaker lights can let you have more vertical grow space because your plants can get closer to your lights.

You won’t have many people on here promoting MH, from my understanding they were kicked off as a sponsor for a reason. Also multiple people on here with fire hazards from them and horrible customer service. 😉

Cannagar

Cannagar

You won’t have many people on here promoting MH, from my understanding they were kicked off as a sponsor for a reason. Also multiple people on here with fire hazards from them and horrible customer service. 😉
Oh damn. This is news to me. I’m going to have to look into that.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Oh damn. This is news to me. I’m going to have to look into that.

This is my thread on MH lights...

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Check out of homie goodshit97 issues, they have horrible service for the issues that comes with their lights

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Mars has been banned from The Farm for absolutely poor customer service, poor equipment warranties and many reports of light failures. This thread was started to warn Farmers that this authors light has caused a fire danger to his home.
We are not seeing supposed bad experience in this thread!
The proof is in his experience and others experiences with mars lights.
We will not advertise dangerous and inferior mars equipment on The Farm!
That is why mars has been banned from advertising on The Farm and will not be allowed back ever again.
Enjoy your light hopefully it will not burn down your house like the unfortunate individuals that have had documented incidents in the past.
Good day:)

Cannagar

Cannagar

This is my thread on MH lights...
Damn. Just read through most of that. I’m going to be saving up for some new lights. Are you telling me other lights have waterproof coatings!?

This shit nearly stopped my heart last year because I accidentally touched the diode panel while the light was on and my hand had condensation on it.

It sent a shock through my entire arm across my chest. I thought that was entirely my fault. But here I am reading that it’s shotty design!? I’m POd now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom