LED's as supplemental lightsources...

• Thread starter Analog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Analog

Analog

I have run LEDs solo, flouros solo, LEDs with flouro supplementation and vice versa but I am yet to run LED's as a supplemental light source to a hid main light. I see Kessil produce lights that look to be suitable for such a purpose but I haven't 'yet' won the lottery and so I am looking at using a cheaper alternative and a few fanless led bars have caught my eye. I've had enough experience with LEDs to know they are effective but not as a backup to a hid so I'm not sure which wavelengths would be effective so anyone who does know or has experience please chime in. I'm going to run a 600W MH/HPS in a 4X4 or 5X5 tent with perhaps 2 or 4 LED bars but that will depend on feedback I get here aswell as other research. I'm also very interested in utilising the LEDs as a power saving tool even when running a HID based system. For example during veg the first 2 or 3hrs could be LED only then the MH and LED could overlap for 30mins or so then the MH could run for 11hrs then switch to LED again for 3hrs. (I usually run a 17/7 veg) During flower the same could apply but with the LEDs running solo for 1hr at the start and finish then for a certain time as additional light. All of this would have to be tweaked of course but I'd love to hear opinions. The LEDs I am looking at are 90w but run at 72w utilising 42x3W diodes (not3x1w) I will be able to request ratios on purchase. I think if using 4 of these then using them as a partial standalone light source should be fine but I'm open to any suggestions. Its been 2 years since my last LED grow so I'd also like to know if systems are in general, more efficient then 'back then'. Thanks.

shawnskush

shawnskush

sounds like you got the right led lights for the job at least 3w per diode is needed in my experience

Kebz

Kebz

LED's have now improved much in recent times and 5watt diodes are becoming common place. Recently switched out 2 x 600 hps to 850 watt LED array.

The heat and power issue's made it too difficult to cool my space and i'm getting better coverage with an array than 2 lights. Also want to increase to 1000watts of LED as i feel I can get slightly better gains. My 2 x 600 watt are now redundant,

I'm getting better results with LED, lower bills and a better growing environment. They work for me, in my space. I don't recommend any brand as long as it gives you the power, build quality and spectrums you require.

IMG 0407

IMG 0241
IMG 0378

Latest posts

Top Bottom