LED's for this dummy - Questions

• Thread starter 3 balls
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3 balls

3 balls

It's been a few years since I've even glanced at them and the prices were outrageous especially considering I live in a state with one of the lowest KWH $ in the country and I have efficient and adequate AC in place.

I just took a fresh but quick look at some and feel it's worth another round of consideration. If somebody could answer a few questions that would be awesome.
1. Are the Mars Hydro, Spider Farmer units on Amazon legit or more of a hobby grade?
2. Is their estimated equivalence to 1000W truly in the ballpark of double ended HPS?
3. How much heat do they generate versus a typical HID lamp roughly? 1/2? 3/4?

Thanks for your time

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
It's been a few years since I've even glanced at them and the prices were outrageous especially considering I live in a state with one of the lowest KWH $ in the country and I have efficient and adequate AC in place.

I just took a fresh but quick look at some and feel it's worth another round of consideration. If somebody could answer a few questions that would be awesome.
1. Are the Mars Hydro, Spider Farmer units on Amazon legit or more of a hobby grade?
2. Is their estimated equivalence to 1000W truly in the ballpark of double ended HPS?
3. How much heat do they generate versus a typical HID lamp roughly? 1/2? 3/4?

Thanks for your time
1. No, there are much better companies like HLG. I think the new full spectrum viparspectras are legit but a lot of people don't.
2. Not at all. Those lights are 100w, they are maybe the equivalent of a 150w hps.
3. I'm not sure how much heat they produce compared to other types of lights but with LEDs, heat is not an issue.

If you have the time, the best route you can go is building your own.

30roll

30roll

I think the Viparspectra XS Lights are nice because the Light Board is heatsinked, and is all around less clutered.. The are solid pieces.

You can't argue with LED power consumption tho.. An XS2000 is 240 watts which is only pulling 2 amps at the wall..

growsince79

growsince79

1. No, there are much better companies like HLG. I think the new full spectrum viparspectras are legit but a lot of people don't.
2. Not at all. Those lights are 100w, they are maybe the equivalent of a 150w hps.
3. I'm not sure how much heat they produce compared to other types of lights but with LEDs, heat is not an issue.

If you have the time, the best route you can go is building your own.
I can confirm, 100w hlg can replace 150w hps. Probably not 200w as claimed.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I can confirm, 100w hlg can replace 150w hps. Probably not 200w as claimed.
IMO all of those lights aren't even enough for a 2x2x4. It's supposed to be 60w/ft2 for hps and if LEDs only just outperform hps then it should be around 40w/ft2 for LED. Those lights get 1000ppfd in the center at 1ft but the outsides are only around 300.

growsince79

growsince79

IMO all of those lights aren't even enough for a 2x2x4. It's supposed to be 60w/ft2 for hps and if LEDs only just outperform hps then it should be around 40w/ft2 for LED. Those lights get 1000ppfd in the center at 1ft but the outsides are only around 300.
Agree, each light is barely enough for 2 x 2. I used to run 2 x 150w hps with one 100w mh in the center of my 2 x 4. Now I have 2 x 100w hlg with a 150w hps in the middle. I think im gonna get a 3rd hlg and run 3 x 100w hlg in my 2 x 4.
I just saw where they have a new version out using 301H + far red now- $149 on amazon.

3 balls

3 balls

I will most likely convert my veg room first as it is the most under-lit and over heated. I will continue my research but if I had to pull the trigger right now I would get 3 of these HLG 600 V2 B Spec. Appreciate the input, keep it coming.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
View attachment 1079935I will most likely convert my veg room first as it is the most under-lit and over heated. I will continue my research but if I had to pull the trigger right now I would get 3 of these HLG 600 V2 B Spec. Appreciate the input, keep it coming.
How big is your space?

Planewreck

Planewreck

A Nobody.
Supporter
I just bought mine,4 Mars Hydro TS3000s.I havent started yet due to a boondoggle with ILGM.But a good friend of mine has had multiple sucessful grows using his.These pull 450 at the wall each.I have them in a ten by ten tent and the light in there turned up will damage your eyesight.

growsince79

growsince79

Agree, each light is barely enough for 2 x 2. I used to run 2 x 150w hps with one 100w mh in the center of my 2 x 4. Now I have 2 x 100w hlg with a 150w hps in the middle. I think im gonna get a 3rd hlg and run 3 x 100w hlg in my 2 x 4.
I just saw where they have a new version out using 301H + far red now- $149 on amazon.
Just pulled the trigger. Free shipping arrives friday 22nd.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Just pulled the trigger. Free shipping arrives friday 22nd.
3 of those in a 2x4 is perfect. One thing I'd think about is maybe getting some supplemental blue lighting for veg. Those hlg rspecs are pretty red. You probably know more about this than me though so do whatever.

3 balls

3 balls

Reading nothing but great things about HLG but I cant find any charts or specifications on par distribution. I'm trying to map out my room for spacing layout and I'm not following how their rectangle lamp is throwing a square footprint. I'm sure it's an approximation but there's got to be the actual info out there somewhere.

growsince79

growsince79

3 of those in a 2x4 is perfect. One thing I'd think about is maybe getting some supplemental blue lighting for veg. Those hlg rspecs are pretty red. You probably know more about this than me though so do whatever.
I have 1 4000k veg(for early flower) and 1 3000k flower now. The new 3000k uses 301h instead of 301b and they added a few red for the same price. I use cfl for veg.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
View attachment 1080007Reading nothing but great things about HLG but I cant find any charts or specifications on par distribution. I'm trying to map out my room for spacing layout and I'm not following how their rectangle lamp is throwing a square footprint. I'm sure it's an approximation but there's got to be the actual info out there somewhere.
HLG has a calculator for ppf to average ppfd. That first light you suggested is 1446 ppfd so I inputted 4338 (1446x3). Your useable space is 12x6+6x6 so I just inputted 12x9. It also asks for the % of the light that will reach the plants and I put 75% for that because you never get all of it and also you'll lose some to that corner area for clones. In the end it said you'll get just above 300 ppfd average. You don't want the average to be too high because it's an average so if it said 800, you'd get some parts with 1200 and some parts with 400. I think you should at least double it and get 6. 650 average ppfd which will be perfect.

Last edited:
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Would that be the same as a 400W HLG LED will out perform a 600watt HPS?
I don't really understand the question but that would be the equivalent of about 450w hps.

Sice

Sice

I think its best to forget on equivalents etc since LED are so different in terms of light compared to HPS or CMH etc. The best way is to test them watt for watt and see how the plants react.

Watts per gram can still be used to measure outcome but the lights are different so the flowers might look way different or the same.. it all depends on environment, canopy adjustment and how far the light is from said canopy.

Top Bottom