Legalization Petetion Turned In

• Thread starter brncow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

brncow

DENVER -- The campaign to make marijuana legal in Colorado chose women activists to turn in petition signatures seeking a ballot question to challenge federal drug law on marijuana.

The Campaign To Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol turned in some 160,000 signatures Wednesday in favor of the ballot initiative. The measure would make pot possession legal in small amounts for adults over 21, without a doctor's recommendation.

Women who talked up the measure argued that marijuana is not as harmful as alcohol and that adults should be allowed to use pot recreationally.

The state has 30 days to certify signatures and decide whether the pot measure will be on ballots. If approved, the marijuana question would be the first cleared for Colorado's 2012 election.

putembk

putembk

sorry to say it and i could be wrong..but..this legal thing will never happen..the gov looks at this petetion and simply shreds it

I agree, but if you read the article in the Post with the $$ backing the bill and an approach toward attracting more women it might have a better chance. At least its up for a vote again and maybe someday???

Tripsick

Tripsick

First 40 mil each year goes to the schools

LoL Think of the children

JeromeGarcia

JeromeGarcia

That 40 million a year will be able to be leveraged into 100's of millions...

Come'on folks think of the children, and get behind this initiative.

That and if it is passed everybody can have a lot more finished mj at their house than is currently allowed.

putembk

putembk

This has been discussed before and I am sure it will be a continuing discussion on legalization, is it good or bad? What will happen to the quality and prices? How many will loose their jobs? These are just some of the things to think about. Also, surely the govt will get more involved as they will want more and more of the revenue generated. But where will those monies come from, will dispensaries as they exist today even be there or will we have to go to a clinic for meds? After thinking about the long term repercussions I'm not so sure legalization is the best thing for me anyway.

S

SoCoMMJ

I have the proposed law that I saved into a word document. If you want to read the details without the bias of every person that adds their personal spin... just PM me with your email address and I'll ship it to you.

true grit

true grit

I think its funny, the folks out getting sigs for this- WOULD NOT listen to a dissenting opinion to the point of getting irrate. Yeah lemme support the group pushing for weed that only sees one side and gets mad about... real friendly stoner like fa sho. lol.

S

SensiCO

True Grit: I am totally lost with your comment. Can you please cite a specific point where this happened?

putembk

putembk

I have the proposed law that I saved into a word document. If you want to read the details without the bias of every person that adds their personal spin... just PM me with your email address and I'll ship it to you.

Just finished reading your proposal. Well done. I would say you put a lot of thought into it. But really it's just common since. Thanks. Now GET IT INTO LAW!!!

true grit

true grit

True Grit: I am totally lost with your comment. Can you please cite a specific point where this happened?

Nothin worth really gettin into, just found it ironic that the weed supporting/adult/sig getter was the one getting irrate when folks asked some legitimate and pertinent questions. I'm a quiet one, but found it quite amusing. :bong2:

S

SensiCO

Nothin worth really gettin into, just found it ironic that the weed supporting/adult/sig getter was the one getting irrate when folks asked some legitimate and pertinent questions. I'm a quiet one, but found it quite amusing. :bong2:

True Grit: So it was a signature gatherer who 'got irate'. That makes much more sense.

The signature gatherers were give explicit instructions. Some of these instructions were - 1. Do not argue with anyone. - 2. If you do not know the answer to someone's question, do not make it up, refer them to the campaign's website instead.

I would welcome you to come down and volunteer sometime at our campaign headquarters. We can always use knowledgeable and passionate people like you.

C

charjakson

It would be nice for the amazing bud to become legalized up here in Canada too!! I am going through the process of getting my medical forms signed by a weed doctor and I would LOVE the day that I don't have to worry about what I am taking to relive my pain. It really really sucks!!! I have signed tons of petitions...I always feel like it does nothing...and never gets heard...like someone above said....it would probably end up in the shredder :(

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
It was shot down pretty much as soon as it was submitted...the government folks started the signature varification process and couldn't varify enough signatures to meet the margin required to move forward...

It is not as simple as just gettin a bunch of people to randomly sign a piece of paper in support..those signature must be varified by the petition committee...most people probably don't even answer the phone when they call

$40 million? the entire industry barely posted $2.2 million in total taxes paid in calander year '09-'10...where does the MMJ industry get their numbers? doesn't seem to be grounded in reality very much at all, more made up wishfull thinkin if you ask me.

Tex

K

kolah

SoCoMMJ, If you could send me the link, that would be cool.

As far as the petition goes, lets try, try again.

Who wants to run for state Governor? :winking0067:

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

SensiCO- is this the initiative with $$$ backing from Progressive car insurance and Monsanto? If so I sure am glad it got shot down.

squiggly

squiggly

$40 million? the entire industry barely posted $2.2 million in total taxes paid in calander year '09-'10...where does the MMJ industry get their numbers? doesn't seem to be grounded in reality very much at all, more made up wishfull thinkin if you ask me.

The MMJ industry represents a sliver of the black market in terms of profit. If we're talking de facto legalization, 40mil is a believable number. At the very least people are willing to pay it.

It's been accepted as you probably already know that MJ is America's #1 cash crop, in terms of domestic production (outpaces corn/wheat combined at severely undervalued figure), and that we also import a further one-to-two-thirds of our consumption per year across the border.

Either way you flip it this is a massive loss of profit for somebody, or a massive gain for cartels/individual growers.

MJ in some places (probably not Co, though) still goes for a little under half the price of gold by weight. Up until the financial collapse and massive safety-net investing into gold, it was steadily selling at equal to or higher than the price of gold for most of the last 25 to 30 years.

As you know, this stuff grows out of dirt. Something that isn't accounted for in the debate over whether it'd be good policy to tax this is that the government has the ability to put a price floor on this commodity. They also have the ability to tax the bejesus out of it without really killing a large-scale production's bottom-line (talking corn farm scale).

Where I'm at people will HAPPILY pay 4800 bucks a pound. In fact, if you were a small time guy, that'd be a player deal you could turn around and flip and make some good cash from.

The argument has always been that this high price to cost ratio would drop after legalization. I say people are willing to pay 20 bucks a gram, let em. Install a price floor, tax it, and let's fix the education system.

I don't think taxing MJ is the cure-all, but I do believe it can go a long way. This is a big big industry for which we are shipping perhaps half-to-two-thirds of the taxable income across our borders.

If Colorado legalized fully, and you didn't need a state issued ID to purchase--you would see a mass influx of tourism. Who knows, maybe the industry could generate 40million from that.

Top Bottom