Let’s Discuss Nutrient Lines specifically developed for Marijuana

• Thread starter Frodobagins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Not sure where you got the ideal mj grow formula stuff from. Marijuana is a foliar, its been scientifically proven that the best nute ratio for a foliar is suppose to be 3-1-2 for veg, and 2-1-2 for flower.

Not sure where you got your either but its as wrong and as subjective as Crysmatic is...Marijuana is a foliar? that doesn't even make since...Cannabis is an annual herbaceous plant in the Cannabaceae family. Foliar is a method of feeding, same as systemic, it's not a kind of plant at all.

Show us where the "ideal" ratios are actually posted to support what your saying....no magic "scientific" or "exact" ratio's out there that I am aware of...another thing to remember is that the NPK rating on the bottle has absolutely zero to do with the actual ratios that will ultimately be present in your nutrient dilution, rez, or feeding, you can scew those ratios a million ways to Sunday with a few bottles of any nute on the market. A link to the "proven" science might be helpfull for a few of us.

Tex

sky high

sky high

Are you questioning the wisdom of the Shire, TK?

:fighting0085:

E

ErHu

I tried a few different things before settling on FoxFarm. Always got good results with that stuff. They know what it's being used for.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Its about the salts, not the nute brand. Start learning whats in your nutrients so that you can understand what you are buying, then you can tailor your strain.

Learn the canastats calculator.

Thailord

Thailord

Personally, I think most of the major lines out there are designed and based around cannabis. All nutrients can be used for veggies, flowers, or whatever one may be growing. The problem is they cannot just come out and say this b/c our Gov't comes down on such. IMHO areall lines work for cannabis, some maybe work a little better than others. It ends with the user, they all work, they all give results in the end if used properly. I find my favorites lines are those which run clean, are easy to use, and are affordable.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

i said they were 'ideal'...in quotations :) i wanted to highlight that everyone is copying everyone, with no real science...and that 'mainstream' nutes are copying blatant cannabis nutes.

Fatman alluded to ag studies in the '60s that showed 3-1-2 worked 'best' for growing hemp. I don't know the exact study, or how many formulas they tested to arrive at that conclusion.

take it fwiw, AN's phosphorus myth led me to 3-1-3.5 for grow, and 2-1-2 for flower. I've been saying for years that I like 2-1-2 for flower. For months I've also been saying that I don't see a clear advantage to any particular ratio...as long as that ratio doesn't produce any deficiencies. Although at some point in flowering, many growers deliberately cause massive deficiencies/imbalances to allegedly boost calyx production.

As far as purity, Canna is one of the cleanest nutes, and Pure Blend Pro is one of the dirtiest (heavy metals). Chem nutes aren't 'dirtier' than 'organic' nutes, and it may be a moot point anyway - heavy metals in plants don't differ greatly between outdoor organic and indoor chem (can't recall the name of the paper). Obviously it depends on the nature of the soil and nutes. hemp is used for soil remediation, and takes up heavy metals better than most.

Thailord

Thailord

i said they were 'ideal'...in quotations :) i wanted to highlight that everyone is copying everyone, with no real science...and that 'mainstream' nutes are copying blatant cannabis nutes.

Fatman alluded to ag studies in the '60s that showed 3-1-2 worked 'best' for growing hemp. I don't know the exact study, or how many formulas they tested to arrive at that conclusion.

take it fwiw, AN's phosphorus myth led me to 3-1-3.5 for grow, and 2-1-2 for flower. I've been saying for years that I like 2-1-2 for flower. For months I've also been saying that I don't see a clear advantage to any particular ratio...as long as that ratio doesn't produce any deficiencies. Although at some point in flowering, many growers deliberately cause massive deficiencies/imbalances to allegedly boost calyx production.

As far as purity, Canna is one of the cleanest nutes, and Pure Blend Pro is one of the dirtiest (heavy metals). Chem nutes aren't 'dirtier' than 'organic' nutes, and it may be a moot point anyway - heavy metals in plants don't differ greatly between outdoor organic and indoor chem (can't recall the name of the paper). Obviously it depends on the nature of the soil and nutes. hemp is used for soil remediation, and takes up heavy metals better than most.

I ran Canna, and they are clean, but still had higher salinity ratios later in growth; i.e: EC 1.9-2.3 in mid flowering. I found the cleanest product so far is new and I have done numerous test grows with the basic line and the advanced line of products they offer. In mid flowering, and even prior to final days prior to harvest during flush my EC was never above 1.7

Me being a soil grower, this means alot to have low salinity b/c salt build ups a real problem with almost every nutrient line on the market. I also had 2 hydro guys; 1 ebb n flow, the other deep culture. Both said it runs very clean and keeps a stable PH throughout the grow. They also were impressed by the lack of build up on the rez. I have 1 coco guy trying it, and another will try it as well when he gets his smaples in. So far we have ran it in several mediums and all the results are the same, it is clean, consistent, and easy to dial in for any type of medium or grow. It is also very well balanced for cannabis. I have a request in for exact readings of the products. They use no chelated products, they use all pharma grade materials which in my research is the purest materials to use in nutrients. Almost every other company uses agricultural, and food grades which are not near as pure and are full chelated materials.

sdgrower

sdgrower

Medi One is supposed to be specifically made for cannabis. It was designed by Dr Hornsby after he left Advanced. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

Its about the salts, not the nute brand. Start learning whats in your nutrients so that you can understand what you are buying, then you can tailor your strain.

Learn the canastats calculator.

I totally agree with this statement. Its about understand the science of the microbiology and then also the strain. For instance Kush plants Ive found just dont follow standard feeding schedule. Some like more nutes, and some like less. Its the same with the salt build up, some stains can function in it, and some lock up. I've never had nutrient lock, but Ive seen it from some buddies. Shit is as aggravating as spidermites. Just have to learn your strain, and understand your medium and as your environment improves so does you yield promise. And if you don't believe that, you could always fortify your soil. Cuts on nutes.

Tokenblack

Tokenblack

Dutchmaster all the way!!!

Dutchmaster products are the number one developed and used hydro nutrients for Dampkring, Barney's and the Katsu....

Every part of their products is used for the production of weed.

You got Replicator for clone rooting
APS for rockwool fiber soaking solution for seedling rooting
Gold Veg and Bloom for high yields.
Liquid light and Saturator for foliar feedings...

Im telling ya, it blows Advanced Nutes, General Hydroponics, and that Spanish "CAnna Line"

but if your not down with European weed, check out the "Pure Essentials" "Black Label" line....it won "Best New Synthetic Nutrient Line" at the 13th annual S.T.A.S.H. awards....

anybody else gotz questions hit me up, i dont mind....

hope i helped in some way!!

"TokenBlack":character0095:

F

Frodobagins

Not sure where you got your either but its as wrong and as subjective as Crysmatic is...Marijuana is a foliar? that doesn't even make since...Cannabis is an annual herbaceous plant in the Cannabaceae family. Foliar is a method of feeding, same as systemic, it's not a kind of plant at all.

Show us where the "ideal" ratios are actually posted to support what your saying....no magic "scientific" or "exact" ratio's out there that I am aware of...another thing to remember is that the NPK rating on the bottle has absolutely zero to do with the actual ratios that will ultimately be present in your nutrient dilution, rez, or feeding, you can scew those ratios a million ways to Sunday with a few bottles of any nute on the market. A link to the "proven" science might be helpfull for a few of us.

Tex

Well tell the scientist that works in the government laboratory that did a exhaustive study of cannabis for twenty years that the term foliar doesn't make sense. Thats how he chose to classify it and I'm just repeating what was stated in the study. That the optimum nutrient ratio for any plant that can be foliar feed ( thus he classifies it as a foliar ), is 3-1-2 during veg, and 2-1-2 during flowering.

The study was released in the 60"s, 50 years ago, so the classifications and nomenclature used during that time might seem odd today in certain instances.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I belive all of those studies where done on industrial hemp crops which is typically an unhybridized "cannabis sativa" variation and not really what we are accustomed to running in our med gardens at all these days. I think the first HID lights or marijuana specific nutes where not even available to industry until the early 80's and alot of the current technology has really only started to come into its own in the last 5 or so years...

Not saying they didn't know what they were talkin about 50 years ago while growin hemp for fiber, it was probably state of the art at that specific time but we have come along ways and have a had a few decades now of genetic manipulation, advancements in cultivation, and testing that didn't even exist in the 60's and I can't imagine that the same school of thought exist today that did in the 60's.

Tex

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I Love H and G coco! My yields with Hand G killed my AN yields all else equal. One thing about H and g That someone, I think JK pointed out is that it does carry a lot of N into late flowering. I read that comment and thought to myself "No way My sour D kills it and the buds are tasty!" Then I grew a headband and followed the same nute schedule and low and behold I got a leafy, dark bud with a pretty harsh smoke. The smell is still super funky though! Oh well live and learn.

Z

zbudz

Not sure where you got the ideal mj grow formula stuff from. Marijuana is a foliar, its been scientifically proven that the best nute ratio for a foliar is suppose to be 3-1-2 for veg, and 2-1-2 for flower.

That's what I've been wondering about. It may be just another foliar but it is being bred with a specific end-result in mind. Producing a large, lush plant with seedless buds high in THC is considered a success. But from the plant's "point of view", it's a failure since it cannot propagate. We're totally interfering with what the plant is designed for - to make more plants.

So is the best nute ratio for foliar really the best for high quality cannabis?

(BTW, as a noob grower I am treating it as a very hardy weed that needs to be taken care of properly, but which doesn't require high priced MJ-specific nutes. I've been very pleased with 5-1-1 fish fertilizer for veg, and largely based on recommendations from some folks here and elsewhere I just purchased some Jacks 10-30-20.)

Top Bottom