Lets all beat nutrient lockout 👊

• Thread starter THC.Tribble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
THC.Tribble

THC.Tribble

Hello fellow THC farmers ! I recently mixed up a few pots of 1/2 coco- 1/2 organic potting mix also some clay pellets for nice air exchange.

I washed the stones and coco and washed it with ph solution 5.8

havent had any issues until the other day i fed with a ph of 6 (my standard # for this mix ) ... and over night seemed to develop purple stems, drooping leaves , visually unhealthy.

I understood it to be nutrient lockout mimicking phosphorus deficiency from ph to low ..?

I rinsed them good with ph6.5 + small feed (300ppm) And they seem to be recovering ..

anyone with experience or knowledge about lockout / signs / purple chlorosis ?

id like to know what signs people use to determine lockout over other issues,

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Purple stems is often from a cold rootzone. Do you have your air intake blowing cold air right at the pots? And did the intake air temp drop recently?

Have you used that media blend before? Its normally advised to use less than 30% coco if you're blending it with soil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cokf temps?

Slow release, organics just watch PH and ensure good microbial life. Watch PH

Inorganic salt ferts use ppm and PH meter to measure runoff and see how its trending. Use half recommend doses for feeding.

Watch new tip for burn and claw. Dark green shiny leaves are high nitrogen but typically a good early indicator of high nutrients of buildup

THC.Tribble

THC.Tribble

Purple stems is often from a cold rootzone. Do you have your air intake blowing cold air right at the pots? And did the intake air temp drop recently?

Have you used that media blend before? Its normally advised to use less than 30% coco if you're blending it with soil.

THC.Tribble

THC.Tribble

[/QUOTE

Thanks so much ! This is much more likely. We had first cool night a few days ago , noticed my tent got a bit on the cool side when light was off briefly .

No i havent grown in this mix , just a combo of some aquired leftovers😛.

They seem to be on the mend , they are mother plants not rly for flowers soo Hopfully not a huge deal

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I'd stick a thermometer in the media and see where the temp is at. I'd almost guarantee that's whats going on. I like to keep it around 75f in soil/soiless, give or take. But under 80 and above 70 ideally is my range.

For me overfeeding lockout signs look like a combo of tip burn, edge burn, chlorotic appearance to most of the leaves rather than just the upper or lower parts of the plant, Spotting, and general nutrient deficiency.

Purple woody stems and droopy, cupped under leaves is normally from cold temperatures. Directing the intake air between the lights and the canopy would solve that, as long as you have enough horizontal airflow via oscillating fans etc.

THC.Tribble

THC.Tribble

Cokf temps?

Slow release, organics just watch PH and ensure good microbial life. Watch PH

Inorganic salt ferts use ppm and PH meter to measure runoff and see how its trending. Use half recommend doses for feeding.

Watch new tip for burn and claw. Dark green shiny leaves are high nitrogen but typically a good early indicator of high nutrients of buildup
Thanks ! Such a knowledgeable grower ,thanks for sharing 👌

THC.Tribble

THC.Tribble

Yeah I'd stick a thermometer in the media and see where the temp is at. I'd almost guarantee that's whats going on. I like to keep it around 75f in soil/soiless, give or take. But under 80 and above 70 ideally is my range.

For me overfeeding lockout signs look like a combo of tip burn, edge burn, chlorotic appearance to most of the leaves rather than just the upper or lower parts of the plant, Spotting, and general nutrient deficiency.

Purple woody stems and droopy, cupped under leaves is normally from cold temperatures.
Yes i cam imagine any water in root base gets much cooler then ambient air temp readings. And yes i would say i have pimped woody stems also . ...thanks for the spot on diagnosis !

(Borat voice ) Very Nice!!👌

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yes i cam imagine any water in root base gets much cooler then ambient air temp readings. And yes i would say i have pimped woody stems also . ...thanks for the spot on diagnosis !

(Borat voice ) Very Nice!!👌

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Fwiw fabric/smart pots are far more susceptible to evaporative cooling. Not sure what you're using but if its fabric you need to keep some, but fairly minimal airflow around the pots. and for sure not cold air, it should be equalized warm air throughout the tent, especially if you don't have a lung room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom