Lets have a discussion about leds!

• Thread starter Lost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lol you guys are still beating a dead horse when I heard the claims of 30%-50%+ denser buds using leds I knew something was up and then when I saw an extra large freezer bag filled up fully with what was weighed out as 8oz I knew they were actually the exact opposite of what was claimed. The buds were leafy as hell also. :sun

if my white fire was 50% denser youd have to break it up with a hammer

:surprised

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
More reason to have them manufactured domestically - if indeed a great portion of the retail is shipping costs.

Perhaps if they were manufactured here they might be forced to get UL and CSA certification.

Cheers
I agree with that for another reason--creating more work here at home--we need to do it!

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Perhaps if they were manufactured here they might be forced to get UL and CSA certification.

Perhaps they would be manufactured here if there was a demand for them. As far as shipping costs being the main issue, well who's labor costs more? An American who makes $15.00/hr making lights or a Chinese person making them for $2.00/day?

Shipping is cheaper thatn American Labor costs.

Manufacturer all you want. LEDs do not touch thowies so no LED purchase for me, regardless of price or where they are made.

I tell people, not yet. For those techno weed geeks, I kindly explain that top of the line, leading edge grow light technology is a Thowie, a sweet hood, a didigtal ballast and an enhanced spectrum HID bulb.

There is no substitute for a thowie at this point for growing dope.

B

billybadazz

I too have had my posts deleted from the "led forums" . listen led's are so good that I GAVE 2 of them away because there a novelty item kind of like those glow in the dark rubbers that say there not actually for sex they just glow.....if people really got this much money to spend than PM me I will give you my address and all those rich "believers" can send me all that extra cash you got layin around. hey I also got some seeds that yield 10lbs apiece and flower in 2 weeks, oh yeah there feminised too!! I only want 10 g's don't worry trust me there good!! listen there is no fucking disscussion: hid 's win over led's in every category. period.

beezleb878

beezleb878

I say it all depends on your grow and how your going to use them. I can see using an inexpensive 90 watt LED for extra lighting where one might put a cfl. Your not asking much of it and the low heat are all some pluses I can think of.

For a small tent or stealth grow or if you live in a real hot area but otherwise I would not really consider using LED at this point but I am always interested in seeing the newer developed lights and seeing what they can do.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

because there a novelty item kind of like those glow in the dark rubbers that say there not actually for sex they just glow.....

Great, now I got to clean coffee off of my keyboard and and screen.

That is about the funniest damn analogy regarding LEDs I have read.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

I agree with that for another reason--creating more work here at home--we need to do it!

I prefer to create work not by buying US made LED lights, but by buying a whole bunch 'o cheap Chinese import digital ballasts, some good 'ol 1000W Eye Hortilux bulbs and then growing big enough plants to hire trimmers.

Support your local economy - use thowies and hire trimmers.

Factory workers get paid in money and have to pee in cups. Trimmers get paid in money and weed and can be high as a mudder fugger while working. In fact I pee test too - I want to make sure you have plenty of THC in your system so I can be sure you have the proper respect and experience for the task at hand.

Post in good fun of course.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The pee would only begin to show my habits. Wanna really get an idea? Test my hair, all 2' of it. Oh... shit, wait, then you'd see how I've pickled myself!

My point was that it would be good for the economy if we could rebuild some of our manufacturing base that has been moved overseas. Workers would have to give up some things, but at least they'd have work.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I prefer to create work not by buying US made LED lights, but by buying a whole bunch 'o cheap Chinese import digital ballasts, some good 'ol 1000W Eye Hortilux bulbs and then growing big enough plants to hire trimmers.

Support your local economy - use thowies and hire trimmers.

Factory workers get paid in money and have to pee in cups. Trimmers get paid in money and weed and can be high as a mudder fugger while working. In fact I pee test too - I want to make sure you have plenty of THC in your system so I can be sure you have the proper respect and experience for the task at hand.

Post in good fun of course.

funny ass shit!

support your local trimmer, buy chinese!

B

blueberry hill

I had been thinking about buying vert leds but too much un certainty as to the penertration. if lost or jack arnt using them then how good can they be. I mean jack has more watts than most of us have seen, doing it all legal. if he does not think it is here yet as he could save the most from it.Its a bit like the internet all hype untill recent more hassel than it was worth only since speed has improved is it a pleasure to use .

Papa

Papa

Supporter

'doesn't work that way. you can make lights in the US without getting a UL label. you can get a UL label for lights that are made overseas.

there are only two things that I can think of that would encourage them to get UL and CSA certification.

#1: if an LED grow light "manufacturer/(importer)" was interested in assuring their customers that they actually make and sell a quality, safe product . . . then they would seek out UL and CSA and get their products designed in a manner that would pass independent safety testing. (in other words, "get legit").

#2: if a LED grow light "manufacturer/(importer)" got legit enough to buy product liability insurance . . . the insurance company would require them to get their products UL approved.

i don't see either happening soon . . . we can't even get photometrics out of these companies . . . i'm not saying they're intentionally hiding the lack of performance and safety of these products . . . but . . . please tell me . . . if your product does live up to all the hype you spew . . . why not have a lab independently test it? wouldn't it be golden to be able to show that off? or is there something to hide?

unfortunately, the LED grow lights that i'm familiar with are designed by a salesperson here in the states (not an illumination engineer, or an electrical engineer) and assembled by a Chinese company and hyped to unknowing customers.

that's not a sustainable business model.

however, as the technology evolves, we'll see legit companies arrive. they will have independent testing and share the data up front. they will be UL and CSA labeled . . . and they will cost less than the horrific amounts being charged today.

my 2¢

Papa

W

willy led wonka

THere are several brands of leds that work great. Its just going to be a different kinda grower using them. Just like some guys prefer to veg and bloom with MH and some prefer HPS. Now you add an led guy to that circle and this is where the shit really gets interesting. K11ng and I Both get 8-10 ounces per plant from several different varieties with only 500 watt draw off the wall. On the smaller side---a 250-300 watt draw from the wall is yeilding between 4-6 ounces per plant. I have come to the conclusion that you need anywhere form 300 to 600 watts of power draw from the wall to get the results most of you farmers are looking to achieve. It does take some time to get leds dialed in, as they are constantly evolving. There are alot of bs led lights out there right now. Remember that just because they all look the same on the outside doesnt mean they are working properly. They plan with the lense angles alot and how hard they drive the leds. These newer versions with the bigger lenses draw less power but are much more intense due to the angles of the lenses they are using. I do just as good or better with a 900 watt led that draws 500 watts than i did with my 600 hps lights and im saving on energy use and cooling cost. This is what works for me. Im not suggesting you go dump your wallet on leds either. Its "to each his own," What ever works best for you and your sitiuation. If you decide to go the led route, then do your homework and find a light that is working for others and it should work for you. JMO Oompa times in your garden--Wonka

W

willy led wonka

they should move this over to the led section. There are more farmers informed on the led lights in that forum. JMO

M

MI Jesse

I too have had my posts deleted from the "led forums" . listen led's are so good that I GAVE 2 of them away because there a novelty item kind of like those glow in the dark rubbers that say there not actually for sex they just glow.....if people really got this much money to spend than PM me I will give you my address and all those rich "believers" can send me all that extra cash you got layin around. hey I also got some seeds that yield 10lbs apiece and flower in 2 weeks, oh yeah there feminised too!! I only want 10 g's don't worry trust me there good!! listen there is no fucking disscussion: hid 's win over led's in every category. period.
Can i buy some of those seeds lol

Top Bottom