Lets talk about Rock Dusts

• Thread starter ezenzyme
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Whos got the know? Most of you use some kind of rock dust, glacial rock dust, volcanic dust, greensand, azomite, lime; hydrated, fine, dolomoite, calicum carbonate, rock phosphate, to name a a few. Chime on in here! Who uses what for what applications? Who knows the science behind it?

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
I would stay away from azomite from the aluminum and heavy metals. Add a high quality fulvic to remediate pH, or any metal content from rock dusts.

Tom at Rock Dust Local is an excellent resource on rock dusts.

growsince79

growsince79

I used to run hydro in 100% lava rock. Plants grow good but cleaning them sucks

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Lava rock, interesting. You ever try puttin em in Peroxide? I used lava rock this year smashed three yards by hand, and mixed the dust in. Lava rock is basalt, its pumice the beginning of pearlite, also interestingly enough a lot of silica your average basalt has 45-50% silica. I also use the montana silica thats harvested from volcanic duff. Wonder about the break down time, on the siliica and also all the metals and everything else

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
What kinda fulvic you talking? How do you distinguish from low quality?

Rock Dust Local has an awesome fulvic with OMRI-listed amino and organic acids.

I would stay away from anything that is extracted from Leonardite because it requires chemical hydroxide extraction, and is mostly inactive ash content for your money. Leonardite based humic/fulvic can also throw off calcium absorption with the extra potassium content.

Last edited:
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Do you all think basalt will be a significant source of silica for my plants?

Homesteader

Homesteader

If you want silica and don't want to pay for products, I would suggest you get yourself some rice hull. It takes a few months to break down but the inorganic compounds are something like 90% silica and its already in plant available form or will be when it breaks down.

The issue for me with rock dusts is cadmium. I don't want anything to do with it in my soil mixes.
Lead isn't really an issue as plants don't uptake it easily but it an issue when mixing soil. Contact with lead is where the majority of high levels come from.
Aluminum is an issue for the soil and not so much the plant. The plant wont uptake it well but it acts negatively later on. Not an issue if you aren't reusing your bags but who would throw away dirt?

Personally I think gypsum is magic for cannabis and I wouldn't think of growing without it.

Last edited:
BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
The issue for me with rock dusts is cadmium.

It's aluminum and all the other heavy metals. @Slownickel proposes using calcium as a CEC sink. I propose combining that with a fulvic acid to assist chelating what the plant will uptake. It works as an electrolyte to let the plant take what it needs.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I use soluable humics in my soil along with heavy amounts of gypsum. The humics would be derived from a rock as well. I have used Menafee humates but the breakdown takes years because of the granule size.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
the breakdown takes years because of the humates

Fixed that for you.

Long chain humates take a long time to break down. I would use a fully soluble and immediately available fulvic acid any day.

Pippins

Pippins

Basalt is also about 20% aluminum. Wouldn't Fulvic acid actually chelate the aluminum, thereby increasing uptake? I've heard gypsum is good for remediating high alumina soils.

Pippins

Pippins

Fixed that for you.

Long chain humates take a long time to break down. I would use a fully soluble and immediately available fulvic acid any day.
Which Fulvic product do you use Bill? Know of any good powders? I'm trying not to buy so much water through the mail lol...

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Which Fulvic product do you use Bill? Know of any good powders? I'm trying not to buy so much water through the mail lol...

I like Mr. Fulvic. It is a liquid concentrate to save the amino and organic acids @ 0.5-1ml/gallon.

As far as powders, Ferti-Organic is good, but I think it's straight fulvic (no aminos, organic acids or chelated micros). I believe it's a gram per gallon.

Pippins

Pippins

I like Mr. Fulvic. It is a liquid concentrate to save the amino and organic acids @ 0.5-1ml/gallon.

As far as powders, Ferti-Organic is good, but I think it's straight fulvic (no aminos, organic acids or chelated micros). I believe it's a gram per gallon.
Both of those look great, I just ordered the Mr. Fulvic-the potency vs BioAg is impressive.

Top Bottom