Letterman Finally Apologises For Hicks Incident

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Letterman Finally Apologises For Hicks Incident
source: http://botherer.cream.org/?p=1013

David Letterman did something decent last night. Just a bit late. He finally apologised for having cut Bill Hicks from his show in 1993, on Hicks’ twelfth appearance. Hicks was furious, and died a year later having never forgiven Letterman. Letterman expressed regret at the time, but never acknowledged that cutting the segment was an act of revolting cowardice, and demonstrative that he had lost any purpose he might have once had.

Fifteen years late, last night Letterman had Mary Hicks, Bill’s mother, on the show, and apologised to her personally. There’s then an over-rehearsed interview with her, but importantly this is an eight minute segment with a complete unknown, and the mother of a man most of the key demographics might never have heard of. And once the rehearsed anecdotes are over, Mary gives him some shit for what he did. Which is fairly fantastic. And then Letterman shows the original tape uncut.

I like that Letterman acted on this. He’s been haunted by it for a long time, and has said as much in the past. He’s done the right thing, and seemingly done it in a way that’s not scoring points, or linked in to something with which he might want to associate himself. It seems to be a genuine act of contrition.

The videos of the segments are below, but CBS in their infinite stupidity will have these removed from YouTube very soon. I’ll try and update them with working versions, and hopefully Worldwide Pants will have the sense to put the clips online in full very soon. Stick with it through the fuckwittery of the audience as they nervously laugh at the beginning - it’s revolting, but it’s not Letterman’s doing.

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kUbB_D-dYp8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5yTVDoSRKq0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VBC1dKGO2_A[/YOUTUBE]

dj.scotfree

dj.scotfree

I never saw that coming!!! WOW....I feel like "LATE IS BETTER THAN NEVER" doesn't apply to this one Letterman! :time

B

British_Hempire

I saw the bootleg tape of this years ago, Bill was let down by quite a lot of people over the years, he was just so controversial. Wish the fucker had lived to see Obama in the whitehouse though and i can only dream of the bile and hatred he would have had for dubya Bush.

'real men don't dance, they sit, sweat and curse' - priceless.

A

Arti.chokes

I'd pay to see what Bill said on the night Letterman's bottle went.:mad0223:

T

tngreen

haha that bit was hilarious! i bet it was the religious stuff that initially made letterman be a bitch and not air it.

K

KingCrimson

lol go mommies go! RIP. he and carlin are chiefing a fatty splif with marley and the crew in imaginary christian heaven.

J

JBP

You know what....I say good for you Dave. That was very cool of him. Bill deserves that apology and it seemed that Dave was really sincere. He did not need to do that, but he did.

I am a big fan of both Hicks and Letterman but I admit to not having watched Letterman in years.

I have never seen that clip either, it was super funny!!

God, can you imagine the field day he would be having with todays pop stars, let alone Dubya.

RIP Bill Hicks

F

forehead

Thanx for posting that dude.Bill Hicks is an american icon .not many have had the balls that he and Carlin had. Viva la revolucion!

hubcap

hubcap

dude....

you HUG mom

you dont shake her hand.

pompous prick.

moms get love no matter what .

L

luvinlife

Fast Forward- That was a great clip! Bill Hicks is one funny dude! ya even though letterman messed up he was right about one thing: Hicks was way ahead of his time!

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
but fifteen years is a looooong time to finally get around to it

Top Bottom