Life for making Hash!!

• Thread starter devilrays
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
devilrays

devilrays

A new law in Oklahoma that allows penalties of up to life in prison for converting marijuana into hashish has created an unintended byproduct: accusations of an unduly harsh, unnecessary law that will further clog the state's already-overcrowded prison system."It makes little sense. I've never heard anything like it," said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, a New York-based advocacy organization. "It's just pure hysteria. Where did this idea even come from?"The law -- which was overwhelmingly approved by the Oklahoma Senate last month and later signed by Republican Gov. Mary Fallin on April 29 -- was requested by the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. But since the state has seen just about a dozen cases of hashish manufacturing in the past decade, the agency's spokesman, Mark Woodward, acknowledges that the new law is a "preventative" move."It's very rare," Woodward said of hashish production in the state. "It may be two or three years before we see another [case]. This is not going to be a prison-clogger here."Under the new law, which specifically creates a new felony for converting marijuana to hashish, conviction of a first offense would result in a prison sentence anywhere from two years to life in prison. Sentences would be doubled for second offenses and those convicted would be ineligible for suspended sentences or probation."They're not going to do life, but the legalization groups get a hold of that and run with it," Woodward said. "Are we seeing people doing it in Oklahoma? No, but we want to be ready if and when that comes up."Nadelmann and other critics of the new law told FoxNews.com that the measure is a "throwback in time" to the Draconian sentences connected to cocaine and crack cocaine in the 1980s. It also appears to be "evidence-free" since Oklahoma officials rarely see hashish manufacturing in the state, Nadelmann said."If you want to throw someone into prison for the rest of their life for making some hash, I imagine not cleaning your room should

N

NorcalODB

Oklahoma, a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Top Bottom