Light bulb choice?

• Thread starter Green Giant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Giant

Green Giant

Hey farmers, I have only run Ultra Sun 1 k bulbs in the past, no particular reason for it other than that is what the hydro stores stock. My question is this.

Does it make a difference on what brand of bulbs I use. I see so much about the Hortilux bulbs. I was just wondering if by changing bulbs I could/would se maybe denser Niger buds, bigger yields, better meds?!
Any suggestions or what bulbs you run would be great!

Btw... I'm talking about hps for the bloom room.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Hey farmers, I have only run Ultra Sun 1 k bulbs in the past, no particular reason for it other than that is what the hydro stores stock. My question is this.

Does it make a difference on what brand of bulbs I use. I see so much about the Hortilux bulbs. I was just wondering if by changing bulbs I could/would se maybe denser Niger buds, bigger yields, better meds?!
Any suggestions or what bulbs you run would be great!

Btw... I'm talking about hps for the bloom room.

There is a difference in bulbs and the performance and construction. I have tried and sold most bulbs in my grows and sold them at the stores an I always come back to Hortilux, I feel you can not buy a better bulb.

So here's how it works, we carry a low end bulb, Phillips and an off nameHO and Hortilux.

low end = my cost 18$ = your cost 49$ = profit 31$
Phillips = my cost 34$ = your cost 57$ = profit 23$
Off Name HO = my cost 36$ = your cost 110$ = profit 74$
Hortilux HO = my cost 62$ = your cost 118$ = profit 56$

So they will sell you the No Name HO all day.

Here is the rub, every bulb manufacture buys their chemicals from 1 of 4 suppliers in the world except Hortilux they make their own. Why should you care, Hortilux makes their chemicals for their bulbs and they use better sources and have a higher quality chemical content in the ceramic rod inside the bulb. The ceramic rod is impregnated with chemicals that burn off to produce the correct spectrum for growing. Cheaper lights do not have as good or as much content as the Hortilux. Most cheap bulbs fail because they are only glued together and the glue does get brittle and cracks, this lets air in and kills the bulb. Check the base of a burnt bulb and most likely you will see a black spot or black flash mark where the leak occurred.

I will sell a case of 6 1000w HO blue Hortilux for $600 all in, at the stores, the best way to buy them.

S

sicinsane

There is a difference in bulbs and the performance and construction. I have tried and sold most bulbs in my grows and sold them at the stores an I always come back to Hortilux, I feel you can not buy a better bulb.

So here's how it works, we carry a low end bulb, Phillips and an off nameHO and Hortilux.

low end = my cost 18$ = your cost 49$ = profit 31$
Phillips = my cost 34$ = your cost 57$ = profit 23$
Off Name HO = my cost 36$ = your cost 110$ = profit 74$
Hortilux HO = my cost 62$ = your cost 118$ = profit 56$

So they will sell you the No Name HO all day.

Here is the rub, every bulb manufacture buys their chemicals from 1 of 4 suppliers in the world except Hortilux they make their own. Why should you care, Hortilux makes their chemicals for their bulbs and they use better sources and have a higher quality chemical content in the ceramic rod inside the bulb. The ceramic rod is impregnated with chemicals that burn off to produce the correct spectrum for growing. Cheaper lights do not have as good or as much content as the Hortilux. Most cheap bulbs fail because they are only glued together and the glue does get brittle and cracks, this lets air in and kills the bulb. Check the base of a burnt bulb and most likely you will see a black spot or black flash mark where the leak occurred.

I will sell a case of 6 1000w HO blue Hortilux for $600 all in, at the stores, the best way to buy them.

what about ushios? do you own a store and sell supplies? hortilux goes for 59.95 in the bay area.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I run Plantmax. They tested well for lumen outpost, especially at the price I paid. They work well for me, I swap them out every 6 months.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I'm in Canada and prices are way different on some things, yes I own 2 stores. 59$ for a top bulb I'll pay that all day if I could. Ushios get there chemicals from the same pile as all the others.

sixstring

sixstring

I like the eye super hps and digilux.but I run digi ballast only.eye seems to have good color longer then any other bulb.but I think the digilux is brighter and I try to replace them every 6 months

Green Giant

Green Giant

I too replace every six months. I was wondering if changing bulbs would do any different with bud size and yields. Sounds like Hortilux super is a good choice. So many choices....

homebrew420

homebrew420

6 months is throwing half the price of the lamp in the trash. They are good for a year and I can tell you shouldn't lose any yeild over the course of a year due to lumen loss or color shift. 1year replacement. And hortilux are the best. Been a lot of comparisons on many sites.

One Flip

One Flip

If your replacing your bulbs at 6 months go ahead and drop them in the mail. I'll pay shipping!

DO IT

DO IT

woodsman, what do you think of sun master hps and the new ultra sun mh???

Latest posts

Top Bottom