Light Dep Greenhouse Heater?

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Any recommendations for a propane heater for light dep use? Heard of people ducting in warm air from an external propane heater, such as these forced air units.

http://www.amazon.com/L-B-White-TS0...16056&sr=8-1&keywords=ductable+propane+heater

I need a heater that isn't going to glow or give off any light, or preferably can be ran outside of the greenhouse and the heat brought in. It would be nice if the combustion was separated and the excess water vapor not being added to the greenhouse environment. Needing about 30-60kBTU per greenhouse. Also, the heater needs to be controlled by thermostat.

These LB White units look nice. Also looked at the Modine Hot Dawg HDS models, and also some of these hydronic hot water/steam systems. The hot water systems seem really cool, but not the cheapest and could be problematic, and they require some kind of water furnace, and not sure how efficient that is when burning propane. Also seen some DIY systems with car radiators and portable tankless hot water heaters.

Any experience, ideas, or suggestions?

sixstring

sixstring

well i dont have exp with the one you linked but it looks good because it actually says you can duct it.i have installed a bunch of hot dawgs and they are great for open spaces but we never used ducting on them.i do know some of the bigger ones(and maybe the smaller units) have a sensor on them and if airflow is restricted they will shut down.but im just a laborer for a friend during winter,he does use a hot dawg in his own garage.never seen one in operation in total darkness but you cant see shit with all the covers on as far as light or flames.gl mopho

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_heaters;pg109309p.html

They have other options as well. Farmtek knows their stuff, and has great products at a fair price. Hope you find what your looking for.

Yea, I ordered a 14mil 5oz B&W blackout tarp from farmtek. I've looked at those heaters, but I feel like they still glow a bit. Maybe I need to add an extra heat shield to the top. Can those run on a thermostat?

well i dont have exp with the one you linked but it looks good because it actually says you can duct it.i have installed a bunch of hot dawgs and they are great for open spaces but we never used ducting on them.i do know some of the bigger ones(and maybe the smaller units) have a sensor on them and if airflow is restricted they will shut down.but im just a laborer for a friend during winter,he does use a hot dawg in his own garage.never seen one in operation in total darkness but you cant see shit with all the covers on as far as light or flames.gl mopho

Thanks. Yea, I figured a small enough heater wouldn't glow too bad, especially when the blackout tarp is on and minimizes reflection. I'm just looking for a more PRO way of doing it that will last me a few years.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I have the Modine hotdawg that runs off Nat gas. It works great. Pretty sure there is no glow. Ill check tonight. It definitely helps build humidity over night. I'd run a dehuey if it were full of ganja.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I don't think they run on a thermostat. I am tagged to see what you come up with.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Yea, @Bulldog11 Piezo ignition means you have to be there, not thermostat. Fairly sure the Hot Dawgs can run on a thermostat. Might just get one of those and deal with the humidity that comes with it. I've looked at the ones with separated combustion, but they require direct vertical or horizontal venting, which means cutting into my expensive Greenhouse cover material, which I really don't want to do.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Cool, so I will probably just get the Hot Dawg and not vent it, just deal with the extra humidity. The heater will only be used for light dep during spring months, so nothing will be in full flower. Out here on the edge of the desert, they could probably benefit from some humidity in veg.

sixstring

sixstring

you will have to vent the power exhaust out the sidewall or roof.its a 3 in pipe on the smaller models and 4 in pipe on the bigger units like 100,000btu and higher.i cant remember now where the switch is.but yeah you wont really need ducting on front side because the fan blows very hard and pushes air well.heres a typical vent kit for sidewall.pretty cheap here also lol

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/horizontal-venting-kit/

Top Bottom