Light Dep Proplems!

• Thread starter Growfellaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growfellaz

Growfellaz

I have a 6 foot mendo purps and purple erkle cross that I started to flower 25 days ago.the flowers where growing big and frosty, and the smell is incredible have them on 12/12 7pm -7am and there is plenty of sunlight...my problem is all the tops of the plant are small and airy and not growing anymore just maturing but all the buds from 2 inches down are still growing big and healty I can't find anything on line about it any ideas ?

Light dep proplems
GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

I have a 6 foot mendo purps and purple erkle cross that I started to flower 25 days ago.the flowers where growing big and frosty, and the smell is incredible have them on 12/12 7pm -7am and there is plenty of sunlight...my problem is all the tops of the plant are small and airy and not growing anymore just maturing but all the buds from 2 inches down are still growing big and healty I can't find anything on line about it any ideas ?
Just let her do her thing!

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

Just let her do her thing!
I have grown it before but i thought it was because there was not enough direct sunlight so this year I made sure it will have light all day and it's still doing the same thing.both times were light dep..and i grew it at my buddies ranch full season and it was the biggest iv ever seen the colas

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

Still not fully developing most tops are airy and not developing most bottom buds are thickening up and looking normal

20160621 155622 1
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I got broad mites from my friends plants that he gave me to grow outdoors two years ago... It was very similar to what your experiencing... The plants grow totally healthy and get large and green (mine were 9 or 10 feet and dark green).. They started to flower perfectly fine.. And then the tops of the best colas starting to turn brown and stop gaining any size.. the lower nugs were okay.. The owner of the hydro said its broad mites and that it has been going around lately and that it only eats the colas then moves downwards... I got a 100x microscope and sure enough the little fuckers were there.. They are totally different then spider mites and were actually introduced by the counties in southern oregon and northern california to attack the wild thistle problem that was going on... It ended up spreading to the ganja and fucking everyones crops up SERIOUSLY... It is a crazy battle to get rid of them and if you search these forums there are tons of articles on it... If its not broad mites then maybe it was something u fed them or a sprayed.. I would start with broad mites

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

Are you talking about russet mites? Or are they totaly difrent?I have had russet mites be for but i know they eat the plant inside out not the tops first.. and iv grew this strain be for and had he same problem

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

I got broad mites from my friends plants that he gave me to grow outdoors two years ago... It was very similar to what your experiencing... The plants grow totally healthy and get large and green (mine were 9 or 10 feet and dark green).. They started to flower perfectly fine.. And then the tops of the best colas starting to turn brown and stop gaining any size.. the lower nugs were okay.. The owner of the hydro said its broad mites and that it has been going around lately and that it only eats the colas then moves downwards... I got a 100x microscope and sure enough the little fuckers were there.. They are totally different then spider mites and were actually introduced by the counties in southern oregon and northern california to attack the wild thistle problem that was going on... It ended up spreading to the ganja and fucking everyones crops up SERIOUSLY... It is a crazy battle to get rid of them and if you search these forums there are tons of articles on it... If its not broad mites then maybe it was something u fed them or a sprayed.. I would start with broad mites

It's all from the same mother also...but I have a different strain deping rite next to it and those buds are growing fine wouldn't they of caught the mites also?

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I don't know where your located but up in northern california we have had a really cold may and june with quite a bit of rain... It caused a couple of my full term kush plants to start to flower and my first run of light dep that harvested may 30th had a ton of lanky dark purple stretched buds from the cold weather... They ripened up way earlier on the tops and the bottoms seemed to not do the spaced out look and over ripening like the colas on top did.. I don't actually know what happened to your plants it could be a ton of things but the cold weather has different affects on different genetics especially the purps and all the urkle crosses as well as OGs... Yes broad mites are different then russet mites and you should get a magnifying glass that does 100x magnification and check for them-- you can only see them with a 60 x mag or more..

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I had a lot of genetics in the light dep last run.. Some got really big and nice and some got almost black purple and really small.. These two plants are right by each other same week of flowering..
Image 1

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

I had a lot of genetics in the light dep last run.. Some got really big and nice and some got almost black purple and really small.. These two plants are right by each other same week of flowering..View attachment 610084 View attachment 610085
They look good to bad there on the smaller end .
I think most people have to realize something here with light dep
Light dep to my understanding was introduced to kick start flower on long flowering plants
so .
like month before they would naturally flower when light dep in may or june when sun is in highest peak or SUMMER solstice you are getting a total different spectrum then when your in fall and sun has dropped creating different spectrum's of more orange like HPS atmosphere playing role ??
I noticed way more leaf when dep to early

also i found it better not keeping plants in direct light for the 12 hr period . light dep in summer solstice 8 - 9 hrs of max direct light rest in light but shaded appears to work much better
Gallery 11738 4908 284124

Last edited:
Underthesun

Underthesun

Still not fully developing most tops are airy and not developing most bottom buds are thickening up and looking normal

Looks like your pistils are dead or dying. Are your buds touching a surface when you dep or do you make sure they don't rub on anything? A few things can cause your pistils to die, one of them is rubbing on stuff. But if they aren't rubbing on anything, you may have another issue. I've never had broad mites, that I know of, but I think I remember reading they will kill your pistils. I've had my pistils die on few colas before and not others, turned out I had bud rot on the ones that died...another suspect if you're laying a damp humid tarp on them. What is your light dep method?

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

@Underthesun thats a good call about the tarp. I had a ton of buds along the sides and ends of my dep that would touch the tarp and all the pistils would turn brown and even damage the nug a bunch.

SpiderK

SpiderK

you are fighting a few issues.

the plant is annual and is triggered by many things that influence the grow. the solstice period, the different lightwave hitting the plants ( or not ) that affect transpiration ( like dawn providing different spectrum than other parts of the day and could be missing from artificial program your running ), air flow during dark period, timing of these things is very important. if you do not account for everything and time things properly the plant stresses because the natural life cycle that drives the plant are messed up. the plant is reading many inputs during its life cycle. seed-veg-flower-chop if the solstice time is not working properly this does cause stress as it is unnatural for an annual plant.

or bugs .....

Last edited:
Growfellaz

Growfellaz

Looks like your pistils are dead or dying. Are your buds touching a surface when you dep or do you make sure they don't rub on anything? A few things can cause your pistils to die, one of them is rubbing on stuff. But if they aren't rubbing on anything, you may have another issue. I've never had broad mites, that I know of, but I think I remember reading they will kill your pistils. I've had my pistils die on few colas before and not others, turned out I had bud rot on the ones that died...another suspect if you're laying a damp humid tarp on them. What is your light dep method?
Nothing ever touches the tarp I made a black box with wheels so I can roll it in and out 7 2 7 am and I uncover at nite some times to let plant breath

SpiderK

SpiderK

being at 42º latitude our area just passed through the summer solstice yesterday. so inside the plant it will know that its days are numbered and slowly moves into flower ...... the days slowly change in length quickening in the end ( 2 minutes plus lost per day sep ) as we enter aug-sep-oct. but the plant can detect this slight change after solstice and starts changing its internal inputs regarding future growth.

and the percentage of sat / indy ( hybrid ) can affect things. i like using genetics that have been breed in my latitude and it helps if they breed outdoors.

Last edited:
Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Who the hell really knows whats going on could be, insects or a insect bite that infected plant with disease,, or if you noticed it with other plants ( mother plant ) maybe just maybe you transferred a disease ??? or the  the strain has lost its vigor or starting to mutate,, playing mother nature sometimes back fires when your playing with the plants biological internal clock

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

being at 42º latitude our area just passed through the summer solstice yesterday. so inside the plant it will know that its days are numbered and slowly moves into flower ...... the days slowly change in length quickening in the end ( 2 minutes plus lost per day sep ) as we enter aug-sep-oct. but the plant can detect this slight change after solstice and starts changing its internal inputs regarding future growth.

and the percentage of sat / indy ( hybrid ) can affect things. i like using genetics that have been breed in my latitude and it helps if they breed outdoors.
I agree with that. I think that if you have been doing everything the same with all your plants and everything else is doing fine it's most likely the genetics of that strain reacting to something it's sensitive to. That's why they call it farming. Every year is different and every strain is different.

Top Bottom