Light distance for hid light?

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I've recently started my plants under 250 w MH light with plants from seeds sprouts 1st being placed under light 29 days ago. I've read plants should be placed under this light 10" away or as far as you can stand hand under light. If fan is on light & heat doesn't feel bad can lights be placed 9" away?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I wouldnt put sprouts that close. After a couple weeks you can get that close if the plant tolerates it, But I'd start seedlings a couple feet away from that light.
Every HID hung horizontally will throw a hotspot underneath it. Just be careful not to cook them. Start high and lower it a few inches a day once the plants are ready for it.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I wouldnt put sprouts that close. After a couple weeks you can get that close if the plant tolerates it, But I'd start seedlings a couple feet away from that light.
Every HID hung horizontally will throw a hotspot underneath it. Just be careful not to cook them. Start high and lower it a few inches a day once the plants are ready for it.
K,thx will do

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Tho plants are at day 30 I should note they're quite small. I know ppl.are gonna shake their heads at this but I have four 3 gal.pots under a 250w light. I know this is pushing it but I read you need 75w per plant putting it at 300w so just slightly over. Should I take 1 or 2 plants from light & toss outside or am I good with 4 under light?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Tho plants are at day 30 I should note they're quite small. I know ppl.are gonna shake their heads at this but I have four 3 gal.pots under a 250w light. I know this is pushing it but I read you need 75w per plant putting it at 300w so just slightly over. Should I take 1 or 2 plants from light & toss outside or am I good with 4 under light?

That all depends on the size of the footprint. Is this a 3x3 tent? I wouldnt have any qualms about doing 4 plants under a 250HID in a 2x2 or 3x3. It's not ideal, but if you keep them short and flip them small 4 plants is fine. You could do 16 plants if you wanted to with clones and just flip right away. Totally depends on the size of the grow area and how big you let the plants get.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

That all depends on the size of the footprint. Is this a 3x3 tent? I wouldnt have any qualms about doing 4 plants under a 250HID in a 2x2 or 3x3. It's not ideal, but if you keep them short and flip them small 4 plants is fine. You could do 16 plants if you wanted to with clones and just flip right away. Totally depends on the size of the grow area and how big you let the plants get.
Actually not using tent. Plants are just out in open in my garage on a work area but light is suspended from ceiling so I could let them get as tall as they need too. Actually plan on flipping early anyways since my garage isnt exactly weather proofed & I'm racing to beat the cold weather in time for harvest. I plan on force flipping on day 35 & that's literally from when they popped surface & were placed under light so I know that's not very long veg but that's best I can do.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Dude.. Without reflected light that 250 is gonna struggle to produce weight. You should seriously consider getting a tent setup. Or at least something to box it in to reflect light back on the plants.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Dude.. Without reflected light that 250 is gonna struggle to produce weight. You should seriously consider getting a tent setup. Or at least something to box it in to reflect light back on the plants.
Yeah,I know. I actually just had the light packed away in garage in my girl finally decided she was fine with letting me do grow,lol. So I kinda threw together quick but was considering at least getting some panda film to put on wall that plants are up against & underneath plants to at least help a little bit.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

So u thinking with that light loss I should drop a plant or two then?

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

So u thinking with that light loss I should drop a plant or two then?
As to boxing them in thats good call. I actually have a huge tv stand I could box them in with so I think that'll suffice for now.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think 4 plants is fine for the 250 if you can figure out a way to capture the light. I wouldnt pull plants out, just make it work, flip small lol.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I think 4 plants is fine for the 250 if you can figure out a way to capture the light. I wouldnt pull plants out, just make it work, flip small lol.
Will do,lol. Thx for info bro! I'm literally going to box in right now.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Will do,lol. Thx for info bro! I'm literally going to box in right now.
Not sure if this matters but strains are hindu kush & girl scout cookie so mostly Indica so between flipping small they should be short fat plants anyways.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Just curious how you figure taking out one plant gives the other ones more light and allows them to grow better?
My understanding is that the more room you give them the bigger they'll grow so my thinking here was eventually when they get so big two would grow better under 250w light then four.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

So I boxed in plants with one of those room dividers I had in garage & no lie I seen jump in growth since last night,lol! Now this could just be coincidence because plants have been taking off kinda slow so maybe rooting is taking hold & that's what I'm seeing. Either way I'm happy plus extra security from my nosey neighbors. Also just had to add cuz this is hilarious,when I checked on plants today a sunflower sprouted overnight in pot with one of my plants. We keep seeds in garage & somehow it got in pot,lol!

Top Bottom