Light distance Mars Hydro TS1000 / Promix

• Thread starter Filthy_McNasty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Filthy_McNasty

Just set all up for my first AUTO grow.
Appox. size is 28x43" (70x110cm). I am using 2x TS1000 (disregard 315w light in the middle on the photo-its gone) which should be sufficient for the this space size.
I have done extensive research in regards to light distance/space size/etc but I am a bit confused with the light distance and PPFD readings that I am getting.
The catch is that one of the light is older type with the screw intensity adjustment which does not work so I only get full 100% strength , the other light`s adjustment works.
So I have been playing with various light adjustments/distances and right now one light is at 100% the other one around 50-60% at the distance of approx 37-38 inches from the top of the soil which in theory should be ok for the seedlings.
But, I am getting close to 400 PPFD readings (phone app light reading meter) at this setting. That seems to be way too much according to Mars Hydro recommendations for seedling 100-300.
What to do? Rely on readings or general distance of 36" at full strength is ok for seedling stage?

Another question regarding Promix HP that I am using ...... how packed/lose it should be when transferring from original plastic bag to these fabric grocery bags (approx 6 gal). Promix bags are 28L which is a bit more than 7 gallons and I packed the whole Promix bag into one of these pots//bags so I am afraid that it might be to dense and later not get proper drainage.

Any advice about my set up would be much appreciated!

Light distance mars hydro ts1000  promix
F

Filthy_McNasty

By the way, does anyone have an idea what kind of cheap aftermarket light dimmer I can use for TS1000 in regards to my beforementioned issue?
I tried some cheapo dimmer that I use for my yougurt maker but it does not work with TS1000.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Stop chasing numbers and look at the plants they tell you all you need to know

As for the soil you shouldn’t really pack it just add it and gently push down on it as you water it gets more compact anyways

I does look like you packed the soil a bit but tbh I can’t see it well enough however that said unless you sat on it , it should be ok as for your recent post witch poped up as I was replying to your first no idea I’d search duck duck go/ Google

Newty

Newty

Is there a way you can center 1 light and use just 1 light for now? You're only in the seedling stage, 1 light centered and maybe a little lower should work. Worth a shot.

F

Filthy_McNasty

As for the soil you shouldn’t really pack it just add it and gently push down on it as you water it gets more compact anyways

I does look like you packed the soil a bit but tbh I can’t see it well enough however that said unless you sat on it , it should be ok

That`s what I was afraid of, just after I filled up all 3 bags, that I pushed them too much , which I actually did. So I will redo it before planting seeds. What also tells me the soil is well compacted is when I watered just top area to check my PH meter (as it has to be placed in wet soil) , it took a while for soil to dry up even though I wetted only top inch, or this is only speculation .....

Thanks!

Last edited:
F

Filthy_McNasty

Is there a way you can center 1 light and use just 1 light for now? You're only in the seedling stage, 1 light centered and maybe a little lower should work. Worth a shot.
I thought about it ...... so what would you recommend, 1 light centered, 50% at let`s say 24-30"?

Newty

Newty

I thought about it ...... so what would you recommend, 1 light centered, 50% at let`s say 24-30"?
Start there but then check the numbers if you would like. If you can get close to 100-300 across all pots then you're right where you wanted to be. There will be more light in the middle so you might get let's say 250 in the middle and the outside ones might be 150-175. Just play around with the height until you think you have a good balance of light.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
That’s a good idea you don’t really need more than one light atm

If you haven’t planted the seeds yet yeah I would redo the soil

Good luck and enjoy the adventure

Top Bottom