Light Distance Over Canopy

• Thread starter Raw911
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Raw911

aftter read many many different answers to this question I thought I'd just ask people in this forum since I've not been steered wrong yet.
I running a 1000w HPS into 2nd week of flowering. Right now I'm 15" above canopy. Now should I be closer or should I be further? I have 6 plants in a 4x4 x7 tent.
Oh and the hand test don't seem to work with my air cooled lights. Hell I can actually put my hand on the glass

Bannacis

Bannacis

I posted in ur other thread, thinking 2 ft too close in a 4x4 tent, if that's still not working try going a little higher. heat not the problem, but too much light can be a problem too...when u take in the other factors...4x4 tent, co2 replacement, and possibly a nute problem to boot.
When you change things, do give time for plant to respond, specially when watering and nutrients are involved...less is more..

R

Raw911

I posted in ur other thread, thinking 2 ft too close in a 4x4 tent, if that's still not working try going a little higher. heat not the problem, but too much light can be a problem too...when u take in the other factors...4x4 tent, co2 replacement, and possibly a nute problem to boot.
When you change things, do give time for plant to respond, specially when watering and nutrients are involved...less is more..
I think I may be able to get another 2-2 1/2 ft higher over canop which would be about 4- 4 1/2 ft.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I to read through your threads and say if your using a cool tube and its closed with a air pulling or what not what air are you bringing into the tent and are there fans blowing air inside ?
it will take a few daze to see the change be patient and things will settle down the PH 6.1-6.3 in soil sounds fine but Im a Coco guy so cant aid you there The group that helping you here are great Peeps so your in great hands
do yourself a favor and get a PPM meter and do the slurry test and keep that air circulating
Super grow Vibes
FlyJ

starr

starr

I hang my lights as high as i can in my boxes. Never touch em.. Ive got a couple stretchy bastards right now i just bend the tops that gey too close over. But honestly im a foot from the light woth some of them no issues. Just lots of air movement.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Like @Texas Kid mentioned hang em high. In a regular room I shoot for 2' but go higher in that tent and you will be fine.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Even with that 1000 in an air cooled reflector at 2ft can rough on em, and if you are blasting a lot of fresh air, as in circulating fast, those two things alone will be like ya sitting on the beach at the equator in just your bvd,s and eating some 3 alarm chilly and that air comin in from the surf just drying ya out...pretty soon ya look like a Slim Jim, and feel it too.

all kiddin aside... back off on the lite, dial in the temp/hum and air.. your ph sounds good.
Its like forcing them too much of what they need. ;)

O

oregonmellow

Like kids,"we can*t make them grow,only help them"Peace.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

aftter read many many different answers to this question I thought I'd just ask people in this forum since I've not been steered wrong yet.
I running a 1000w HPS into 2nd week of flowering. Right now I'm 15" above canopy. Now should I be closer or should I be further? I have 6 plants in a 4x4 x7 tent.
Oh and the hand test don't seem to work with my air cooled lights. Hell I can actually put my hand on the glass
If you start getting bleached/yellow leaves, back-off. I get a bleaching with my 1k's (air cooled hoods) that is unmistakable when I get um too close. This is slightly strain dependent too; some bleach easier than others, some will actually get the calyxes bleached straight-up white.

Edit: go with what the OGs said, they have it down.

Last edited:
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

From what I understand, not by too much. Will be the approach I take at my next spot for max yield, but invested in air cooled's for now.

Bannacis

Bannacis

With a 1000 watter, you shouldn't get much stretch if they are 3-4 feet above canopy, and if they try...tie em down...

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
No stretch issues at all..your in a tent which effectively becomes a massive light chamber, especially with a 1k hangin...I used to run (2) 600's in one for shits and grins and killed it...i've also ran a 400/600 mixed spectrum setup and also killed it

draco

draco

I would mount it at high to the very top of the tent as you can and leave it alone..will make your life much easier and results will be excellent

right on TK.

also i would say that the room should feel fresh and not hot and dry. i can tell right away when i walk in if the conditions are good. living in colorado, the rh is so low in the winter that it is a challenge keeping any water in the air, as i have a exhaust fan running constantly...

i used to have trouble with herms and dry tops due to stress. not any more...

Latest posts

Top Bottom