Light For Veg Tent?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hey all,
I have a 400w MH ballast and an 8 bulb T5 fixture for use in my veg tent. I was using a blue bulb on the MH, then switched to the T5.

Problem is the T5, even using only 4 of the bulbs on, gets the tent WAY TOO HOT and dry. Like really badly. Even with the "door" to the tent open. Ugh.

So I'm considering replacements. Either go back to the MH 400w blue, with ballast outside tent ... Or get something that runs way way way lower temps. Say a 315? Or an LED?

Again this is just a veg tent .... thoughts?

germinator

germinator

I hear the 315 Lep is fantastic in veg. but I know nothing of their temps. Try a search ......315 Lep I think I read sumthin somewhere.
Stay lifted

germinator

germinator

After rereading @We Solidarity thread.... the one you spec'd is better for ya. The 315's apparently run hotter.
Hopefully he will chime in for ya.
He knows his shit.

SilentL

SilentL

Before use 11w-100 cfl for veg. In a 0,45m2 (0,5m*0.9). Often 150w but after 6weeks need more light.
250 HPS hot or install fan ( more fan- power when use of hps) etc..sound more place .
Now 18,2 w spotlight 5-6 spektra 12 leds, three 4w spots 3 leds (blue/red) And two 11w led-bulbs 900 lumen each Warm-white.
Up to 3-5 plants up 20 cm ok .
Will soon be upgraded with splitter 2*15w led-bulbs ( both cold and warm-white ) and three of them and two big spots. 100w led for veg can be good or the led-bulbs are to bad quality ?
Intresting and see if it's good for a motherplant or two etc...maybe enough?

Last edited:
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

It is my opinion that you are focusing on the wrong thing... Raise your humidity, and cool your tent better.
Keep your current lights.
I considered the humidity angle. Its definitely too dry in there. That said, hot is hot. These lights just generate too much heat. I can certainly reuse them elsewhere though!

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Hey all,
I have a 400w MH ballast and an 8 bulb T5 fixture for use in my veg tent. I was using a blue bulb on the MH, then switched to the T5.

Problem is the T5, even using only 4 of the bulbs on, gets the tent WAY TOO HOT and dry. Like really badly. Even with the "door" to the tent open. Ugh.

So I'm considering replacements. Either go back to the MH 400w blue, with ballast outside tent ... Or get something that runs way way way lower temps. Say a 315? Or an LED?

Again this is just a veg tent .... thoughts?
Yea t5 is hot af, I listened that the hard way. Nothing cooler than a cool tube.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Put a fan blowing up into the bulbs. This will dissipate the heat somewhat and lower your temps. I do this in flower with my 3 hoods, fan blowing up Into the glass, and I'm running ac hoods. I keep my tops about 18" from the glass.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Put a fan blowing up into the bulbs. This will dissipate the heat somewhat and lower your temps. I do this in flower with my 3 hoods, fan blowing up Into the glass, and I'm running ac hoods. I keep my tops about 18" from the glass.
But I've read where they don't put produce the same lumen/spectrum unless they are at their 95℉ operating temp.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

For the money it's hard to beat a mh/hps in a cool tube. I think balast, bulbs, fixture, hangers and timer go for 150 on eBay. Might be 120 its been a min since I looked.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Screenshot 2016 08 07 16 17 16

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I'd get what ever size to match your cool tube. As far as brand, I just bought cheapos. Not the booster (can) fans but the actual inline.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

wonder if 315/LED might be lower power, shopiing, rigging, hassle, parts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom