light getting dimmer?

• Thread starter CheebaMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CheebaMonkey

Is it possible for a 400W hps with a digital ballast to get dimmer before it dies or is it either on or off?

I don't know if I'm just imagining it but it seems a bit dimmer. I've used the bulb for about 3 months now.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
the lumens produced will diminish over the life of the lamp.

with hps, this is about a 30% drop over the time of its rated life.

Papa

C

CheebaMonkey

is it the bulb or the ballast? I haven't noticed it flickering but after comparing photos it looks slightly dimmer.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is it possible for a 400W hps with a digital ballast to get dimmer before it dies or is it either on or off?

I don't know if I'm just imagining it but it seems a bit dimmer. I've used the bulb for about 3 months now.
Absolutely unequivocally, yes, it's possible. But for only 3months'-worth of use? Only way to know for sure is with a meter, our eyes aren't very reliable for such a thing.

The ballast generally won't produce less push, generally it's the light that has a lifespan, but I thought it would be closer to 9 months, not 3.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
some bulbs dont last as long in a digi ballast

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good reminder (reminding me of what *I* did with that Sylvania 400W bulb). Overdrove.. that's not a word... how would I formulate this sentence..? I used a 400W MH bulb overdriven to 600W using a Quantum digi ballast. Only lasted one run, but it stopped working entirely, no fading of intensity that I detected, just wouldn't fire up one day.

hiboy

hiboy

3 months isnt very long for a new bulb to go out or dim. is your ballast new too>:?\\

Top Bottom