light green color edges wtf

• Thread starter 7munkee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
7munkee

7munkee

I have a cutting of my last cycles Blue Widow that has been vegging for 6 weeks. I am using an Earthbox with living soil. I have not filled up the resevoir yet because I dont think the plant is big enough to drink 3 gallons of water before it goes anerobic.

The leaf edges have been wonky for the last 3 weeks. I assumed magnesium deficiency and treated with Epson salt foliar spray last week, but the new growth is the same.

Any clue?
Light green color edges wtf

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello I'm Ron.
I see you have had a few very nice grows in the past.

Please tell me all you can about your living soil? Did you make it up yourself or buy it in a bag?
If you made it up yourself, what did you make it from?
What have you been feeding your living soil?
Everything you have top dressed with or put in the water since planting?
What Nutrient are you planning on using?
Do you have said nutrients on hand?
How much water do you give this plant? How often? City water, rain water, well water, R.O water?
If city water. Do you off gas it, how long do you off gas it.
Do you have microbes on hand?
I'd like to see some more pictures of your other plants as well. Full frame of each plant.
Use a tripod if you have one and get some nice clear pictures from a little farther away, crop them nice and post them for me.

What about your light.
What light is in the Earth box. What power setting. How far above the plant tops?

Do you have access to fresh compost? A bag of store bought compost?
Do you know what leaf mold is and how to collect it?

I know I am asking a lot of questions here. They all matter K. I need to see the behind the scenes stuff.
I will check back in every few hours. You don't have to hurry.
Ron

Last edited:
7munkee

7munkee

My daughter in law put it together. She saw my plants and wanted to grow some herself, so being the awesome father in law that I am, I bought her everything she needed for a run or two, gave her expilicit instructions and even gave her a quart of the top dress I make. Its basicly sprouted seed meal, kelp, neemseed, alfalfa and some premade BuildASoil mineral mix.

She said she followed exactly what I told her, and she even got a run out of it. The plant was small, yellow, and tiny leaves, but it gave her 4 ounces from an autoflower hermie seed she found. I chalked it up to the genetics she grew and the fact that I dont really think she put a lot of effort into it. I would stop by her house once a week to see my gradsons and chek her plant. I had to water it every time I went because it was bone dry.

So long story short, I have no clue.

IMG 20240215 005948

IMG 20240215 010040

I top fed her twice since I planted the rooted cutting 6 weeks or so ago 1 cup of my munkee mix which is: (copied from an earlier thread)

25% worm castings
25% minerals (Azomite, gypsum, dolomite lime, oyster shell flour)
20% sprouted seeds (I used barley, corn, blackbeans, safflower seed)
10% Neem seed meal
10% kelp meal
10% crab meal

I gave her 2 tablespoons of 0-11-0 seabird guano last week in preparation of flower in a few weeks

Ive given her RootMagic every week, a foliar spray of fulvic acid every two weeks, and some casting/compost tea last week. I have been hand water since the transplant because I'm not filling the reservoir until I KNOW the roots can drink it within a week. I had a bad run a few years ago in an earthbox because of that and the water in the 3-gallon reservoir of the SIP went anerobic. I had bits of worm poop, dead worms, perlite, etc in there and it reeked bad. My son and granddaughter live with me and I was public enemy number one for a week there.

I use tap water. I measured it before, and it comes out 7.1 with 70ppm of solids.

I planned on scrogging this but I'm not about waiting around for another month before flipping. I have 3 seeds germinating right now and need the room for MY OWN mixed boxes that are pretty decent.

Edited to Add: I have one of those cheap $15 watering meters...the green ones with the long metal probe, I know it's not SUPER accurate, buts its ballpark. The far sides are usually on the moist to dry side and center is usually wet to moist side.

Also, I don't think she added worms to this box. My temps are decent, 68-70 nights and 77-80 day. I run a humidifier, and my tent is in my bedroom where I basically live so it gets PLENTY of co2 between me and my shar pae.

Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Please understand I'm not out to be a dick here.
I'd be hard pressed to call this a living soil grow, it's more like a hybrid amended mix.
I have a few suspicions but can't offer any real advice. I can't see growing in sprouted seed and worm castings.

I can see sprouting seed and adding them to a microbe solution for 30 days or so to break them down into a plant usable state as a plant available fertilizer or adding them to the compost so they break down into a plant available state. But not as a potting medium as they would create quite an acidic medium problem as they rot and begin breaking down and this would take way to long to break down than the plant would take to grow.
This is best done in a compost.

I really don't see anything in this mix to sustain the plant. No Microbes other than maybe a few in the worm castings and city water if not off gassed properly would kill them all off first watering. Plant's cannot eat worm castings or bird poo. Microbes within a natural food web eat them and break these materials down into a plant available state. It's very cool how it works once you start studying it.

You may be better off with something super simple like this. Kids today are busy on the phone all day and have a short attention span.
You could pop in and water these once every 3 days and end up with great results.

I am a living soil guy. It's can be done in a tent but it can be tricky.

7munkee

7munkee

You misunderstand. I only listed what I added. That mix is my top coat I apply every 3 weeks or so. The soil itself is the Coots mix.
1/3 my own worm castings/mushroom compost
1/3 peat
1/3 perlite/pumice
Worms, biochar, Kashi, Azomite, kelp meal, crabmeal, alfalfa meal, even some predator mites that showed up (I'm assuming they came with my castings)

I know is not the technically trademarked Living Soil, buts its alive with insects, mycelium, lots of bacteria, LBMs (little brown mushrooms) and i even grew a covercrop of peas, clover, and violets until they were an inch or so tall before chopping and dropping and putting the mulch cover on.

I Have a 6-gallon carboy full of water that sits at least over night to gas off and come to room temperature, before filling my pump sprayer.

With this coot mix, my own Earthboxes are going on their 6th cycle next turn with only a top coat every 3 weeks, and I gave my daughter in law everything I used. I cant guarantee she used everything, but she managed 1 grow out of it.

I don't use the sprouted seeds for fertilizer, even though they DO contain everything a pant needs to get started: N,P,K aminos, etc, I use the neem meal, kelpmeal, crabmeal, and castings as fertilzer. It has produced amazing results for me in the past.

Last edited:
7munkee

7munkee

The light is at 3 feet away at 50% and I gave it mag VIA Epsom last week.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Any time I am seeing edge damage along with tip necrosis on leaves, I am looking at k being at least an issue. Can’t believe she would actually need more k at this stage, looks to be an uptake issue. Either the ph or something in the soil (too much ca is a frequent culprit…antagonistic to k uptake) seems to be affecting her ability to access it.

7munkee

7munkee

pH in the rhizosphere off...I was hoping to get confirmation. How would I bring it back to normal without adding more calcium? The only way I know is lime and that is calcium.

Perhaps If i take a core sample with a length of copper tube and make a slurry it will give some idea of the pH at the bottom of the pot. Its a SIP so I cant really take the rootball out.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

pH in the rhizosphere off...I was hoping to get confirmation. How would I bring it back to normal without adding more calcium? The only way I know is lime and that is calcium.

Perhaps If i take a core sample with a length of copper tube and make a slurry it will give some idea of the pH at the bottom of the pot. It’s a SIP so I cant really take the rootball out.
A slurry test is never a bad idea when you are diagnosing a plant that’s acting up. Ph sounds like a potential culprit. Usually not an issue in organics, but depends on soil additives.

7munkee

7munkee

The leaf coloration is a phosphorous deficiency.

I only scanned the thread. It sounds like you're using organic nutrients. If so, pH in the rhizosphere isn't usually a matter for concern. Just nurture the microbes. Have you added mycorrhizae?
Yes. Each week I water with Root Magic myco+I know this SIP was just about dead when I got it, So I added compost tea. I have a cold compost pile that is 2-3 years old. I brought in a shovel full from the bottom and let it warm up for a day and made tea+black strap. I bubbled it for 24 hours with gassed off tap water. That was 6 days ago. I foliar sprayed it with FloraFlex veg foliar 2 days ago. I bought the FloraFlex sampler pac last spring and the only thing I've used is the veg foliar. The only reason I used the foliar is because I wanted to see if it would perk up.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Remember my first post.
I asked you to answer a bunch of questions for a reason. Instead of answering them you hand me a bunch of bs. From what I can see I wasted an hour and a half I could have been helping someone else. You can throw a bunch of rather expensive junk in a pot and call it living soil if you want. Your just playing with words like so many others in this and other forums. You where right in your first post. You don't have a clue. The truth is, the potting mix you threw together is anything but living soil. It's dead or the plant would be thriving.
If you want to understand living soil start with video 1 and watch them all so you have some Idea whats going on.

You may get away with another play on words like it's organic because it's peat moss and worm castings and I have no idea why but I threw in some bird shit and a bunch of ground up crab shells. Then I feed it sprouted seeds. The one thing I cannot figure out is why in gods name would you even go there. Really? I took a look at your past grows and they look pretty nice.

Cap.
It's loaded with Gypsum and Dolomite lime. This is how you add Magnesium, Calcium, Iron, sulfur and many other micro nutrients.
It's also full of Crab shell and finly ground Oyster shell, these are slow release calcium and other minerals used in real living soil or organic grows.
His problem is not Magnesium or light burn. You need to educate yourself so you can actually help people. When it comes to living soil these videos are a great place to start. Remember Cannabis is just another plant. All you need to do is provide it with what it requires and get out of it's way.
The plant will take care of the rest.

I sprayed it with epsom salts the other day.
Now I have no idea why I'm adding molasses and compost tea but it's a shot in the dark.
I hate to tell you this but this is the most screwed up grow I have ever seen. Really Really.

The best advice I can offer is. Stop heaving shit at the moon and expecting to hit it, go watch the videos at the link I posted for you.
Not one of the guys has a clue. But you will in short order if you watch them.

7munkee

7munkee

Remember my first post.
I asked you to answer a bunch of questions for a reason. Instead of answering them you hand me a bunch of bs. From what I can see I wasted an hour and a half I could have been helping someone else. You can throw a bunch of rather expensive junk in a pot and call it living soil if you want. Your just playing with words like so many others in this and other forums. You where right in your first post. You don't have a clue. The truth is, the potting mix you threw together is anything but living soil. It's dead or the plant would be thriving.
If you want to understand living soil start with video 1 and watch them all so you have some Idea whats going on.

You may get away with another play on words like it's organic because it's peat moss and worm castings and I have no idea why but I threw in some bird shit and a bunch of ground up crab shells. Then I feed it sprouted seeds. The one thing I cannot figure out is why in gods name would you even go there. Really? I took a look at your past grows and they look pretty nice.

Cap.
It's loaded with Gypsum and Dolomite lime. This is how you add Magnesium, Calcium, Iron, sulfur and many other micro nutrients.
It's also full of Crab shell and finly ground Oyster shell, these are slow release calcium and other minerals used in real living soil or organic grows.
His problem is not Magnesium or light burn. You need to educate yourself so you can actually help people. When it comes to living soil these videos are a great place to start. Remember Cannabis is just another plant. All you need to do is provide it with what it requires and get out of it's way.

Now I have no idea why I'm adding molasses and compost tea but it's a shot in the dark.
I hate to tell you this but this is the most screwed up grow I have ever seen. Really Really.

The best advice I can offer is. Stop heaving shit at the moon and expecting to hit it, go watch the videos at the link I posted for you.
I never asked for your help. I stated a problem I was having, and you volunteered yourself. I am sorry you wasted your time.

Maybe it's not living soil, but it is a tried-and-true mix that hundreds of people use. It was formulated over decades by a guy named Clackamas Coot. He is a colleague of Sub Zero. I did my research and have had 5 successful no till grows back-to-back utilizing his method.

I am not an elitist, so I don't always use the correct terminology. I had a stroke 2 years ago and it's hard to type so I have put a lot of time into this 'conversation' also.

Again, I am sorry for wasting your time.

Edited to add: Remember, I did not build this particular box I am having trouble with. My daughter in law did and I assumed she followed my instructions because she got a 4-ounce harvest from a hermie seed she found in an autoflower. I am trying to sleuth what is wrong.

Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I’m with @Captspaulding on this one too much light, back the power down, give it a week to recover usually fixes most problems, could also be a k def like @Fromunda506 said, either way backing the power down will help let the plant relax and recover

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Remember my first post.

Cap.

Man, you’re ridiculous.
The loudest one in the room,
Is usually the one who posts a thesis for a simple problem.
You are making new growers go through madness. STOP. 🛑

Now education, I will grow circles around you.
This is not hyperbole.
You sir, should really find a new hobby.
You have screwed more growers than I can count.
You have no idea how many times I had to get in contact with folks you “helped”
And coarse correct them.

I’ve been doing it a long time now.
Get bent. 🤡👍🏻

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
IMG 2605

Here’s one of my cali blues, I’d say its K but it’s only on the fans closest to the light lowers aren’t discolored at all so I’d say light burn, some plants can’t handle as much as others

Ending week 6 of flower so won’t waste time trying to change anything she’ll finish fine

7munkee

7munkee

Less light then turn that sucker down.
That seemed to work. The newest growth looks good. The cord pulled out of my ppfd meter a couple months ago, and I have been guestimating from previous grows. I need to get off my lazy ass and search for the spec sheet to see which color wire gets soldered where. IF I can find it online.

It was a cheaper meter from China (I'm assuming) but tested against my friends Apogee its accurate enough.

Now back to the bondage...
IMG 20240219 000531

Latest posts

Top Bottom