Light leak question

• Thread starter TwoCreeks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TwoCreeks

First of all, thanks to all of you who have posted so much useful information helping me make the outdoor to indoor transition.

So I am finishing up a 4k room that I am very happy with except for one thing. I installed a window mounted (though the wall) 15,000 BTU Frigidaire air conditioner.
There is a small amount of light that leaks both in and out through the unit. I have read about sex problems due to light leaks, and am wondering how much light it takes to cause a problem.

I've been doing very well outdoors with the neighbor having a motion activated porch light that comes on a lot during the night due to cats on the fence. That put far more light on my budding plants last year than this light leak will with no ill effects.
The amount of light coming into the room is much less than a full moon in September or October. If I can see a small amount of light through the air conditioner, is that going to be a problem for me?

p.s. I know that 15,000 BTU is light for 4k, but since I am going to pull night air through the lights (55-60 degrees) with a 10" maxfan, and the CO2 generator is water cooled, I think it will be enough.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.....

brotherlewrl

brotherlewrl

i have been doing the same thing for a while now without any problems. My hose on my air conditioner has some leaks but i have yet to see any effects. I think as long as your running stable strains it should be ok. The other thought is to put a blackout on the outside part of the AC nothing to restrict the airflow, but a little to tame the light!

B

blahman

I've had a little light leakage before. But I usually go in the room when its dark and if its enough light to see my hand at arms length then I worry. Plants get moon light in the wild. But i'm not sure what spectrum the moon is compared to a security light :)

Top Bottom