Light leaks: How dark does it have to be during "lights off"?

• Thread starter irishboiii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Are you suggesting the light of the full moon would disrupt flowering?
What irish said :) The full moon is the max light what cannabis had to endure during the dark period outdoors where it evolved.

Awesome read!!!
I agree :) Lots of interesting info. Probably not all entirely 100% accurate, perhaps some outdated, some too specific for hemp, but it's an awesome read indeed. Note that that page is just part of it, click the table of contents link at the top for much more.

irishboiii

irishboiii

So Im pretty much ok then as long as the room stays darker than a full moonlit night and no direbt beams shine on the plant?

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
In theory yes. In practice you need full darkness because that threshold is easily reached/tipped. Sounds like you need to setup/improve ventilation because dark/light control is essential.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I once had a plant outside, there was a street light that was a half block away. the side facing the light did not flower, the other side did amazingly. and of coarse the moon does not affect flowering.

CannaTech

CannaTech

The moon does NOT put off usable light for plants and does NOT disrupt their dark cycle. I read a few articles about this years ago, and although I don't remember the scientific jargon used to describe why it doesn't, I do remember it being b/c moonlight is a reflected source of light and doesn't effect plants night cycle. MGG
That was the point. The moon cannot put off enough lumens to reach the base level the plants set. The moon does put off lumens just not nearly the concentration of the sun. so take that how you want mmg. it is the same reasoning. Saying the moon does not produce lumens is... well not very bright... its a significant lesser amount than the sun.

straincreation

straincreation

That was the point. The moon cannot put off enough lumens to reach the base level the plants set. The moon does put off lumens just not nearly the concentration of the sun. so take that how you want mmg. it is the same reasoning. Saying the moon does not produce lumens is... well not very bright... its a significant lesser amount than the sun.
Like sativied stated, the moon only puts out 0.03 Foot candles. Which is not even comparable to the sun. Mgg never stated it doesnt put out lumens just that the light it produces is not photosensitive with canna.
Happy farmin;)

lollipopman

lollipopman

I just harvested 16 plants in my veg tent, using 600mh, my tent is so jacked up. Half of the top don't zip. Light leaks every where. I have this tent in my veg room where 2 t5 lights are on 20/4 .

Nef420

Nef420

I currently run my setup at night for heat issues as well. It works the highest it gets is 78 to 80 Fahrenheit with lights on at night and during day time when the plants are sleeping it gets to 76 tops. Works good. I have my setup in my closet. So I can't have it open. I also cut a small hole in my floor like 4"x4" and i put a good filter and suck in the air from there not using a legit inline fan I'm just using any fan and took off the stand so I can lay it on the floor and another fan circulating air. Works pretty good. In a 4'x5'x8' closet. With a 600watt. So without any air moving it gets too hot up to 95 degrees. Also my Cheapass youtubed homemade A/c's and I found out you can get a 5 gal bucket and put a smaller styrofoam bucket inside the 5 gal bucket cut a hole on the lid of the bucket and another hole on the side of both buckets styrofoam and plastic 5gal. Freeze a gallon of water stick it in the buckets put the lid on then put a small fan on top pushing air into the buckets through the hole on the lid and the air that comes out helps cool a small setup. I don't have pics of the one I made but (YouTube homemade bucket A/C) now my room is at the hottest 76 degrees. With the closet door closed.

Nef420

Nef420

But you could do what I do but have lights on at day and off at night. Should help with light leaks. I used to do lights on at 9am and off at 9pm when it starts getting dark.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

You might want to re-read what I wrote. And no it doesn't "produce" lumens. It reflects light from the Sun as Little Debbie said...big difference. Thanks. MGG

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
i have veg tents in my flower room that put off light plus my air intakes let light in as well... you can see in my flower room with the lights off... been 3 years, so far so good... and i run many finicky strains... fwiw

Top Bottom