light movers any good?

• Thread starter Tynesharpskin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tynesharpskin

been looking to setup a grow in a rental property the energy usage is a worry, but i've been reading about these light movers claiming to grow 3 times the plants with one 1000 watt hps moving about the ceiling mimicing the sun. was just wondering if yeilds were signifigantly decreased or if anyone had any experience with them, any info appreciated

cheers

I

ibTheMan

Man we just did ah whole thread on this, just search in New Post and go ah page or two.

Im all for tracks but i dont ever move it more then 12 to 15 inchs or little less than half a meter.

N

NW Puffins

stick to this formula, 1000 watts per 5 ft. X 5 ft. area.

E

emilyblunt

I'm sure there is a post in here about the formula. Just check the other posts.

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

Light movers are a waste of money, unless it moves the light verticaly. If you are considering a light mover that moves lateraly I would invest in another light instead. bd

B

bryen813

Light movers are a waste of money, unless it moves the light verticaly. If you are considering a light mover that moves lateraly I would invest in another light instead. bd

I'd agree that compared to adding another light, light movers are a waste. Nowhere near as efficient in terms of growth.
But for his case it sounds that adding another light might not be possible due to his power concerns so a light mover might be one of the few routes he can go if this is the case.

-Tynesharpskin- you might want to consider maybe doing a vertical grow to get the most out of your single bulb. just a thought anyways good luck man
-.-

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
really the "formula" is 50-75 watts per square foot

C

CaliConnoisseuR

all depends on your style grow,I did a sog run with the cherry ak over two 600's on movers,i ran somewhere in excess of 40 a 4x8, depends. I averaged 2 to 2.5 pounds each grow. My buddy is getting 3p's using this method as we speak. he's got two 750's on movers, with with two 4's running on the wall for side coverage, these are also on movers. only down side is the fact that you loose some density, gotta stay ontop of the rotations, other than that i think there great

N

NW Puffins

really the "formula" is 50-75 watts per square foot

I'll stick to the old school ways that allow me to averge 1.5 - 2.5 lbs. per 1000 watter over 4 plants in a 5' x 5' square. I don't do Canadian math and 600 are for those who cant plug in 1000's. Stick to the basics and keep it simple.

Curb Feeler

Curb Feeler

I say light movers are worth it as long as they don't move to far.

It enables the light to be closer to the buds and it shines all angles to any bud, which keeps plants from leaning.

They are not meant to be used as an extra light, but rather mimic the sun imo.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I say light movers are worth it as long as they don't move to far.

It enables the light to be closer to the buds and it shines all angles to any bud, which keeps plants from leaning.

They are (should) not (be) meant to be used as an extra light, but rather mimic the sun imo.

There, fixed it for you.

I don't feel movers are a waste as long as they're used properly. They cannot substitute for more light, but they absolutely can help you use the light you have available more efficiently. You do have to be prepared for a few things, like letting go of the idea that movers always allow you to get the light closer to the plants--this is not always true. First time I used my light I got a very strange bleaching on the tops of some of the girls. It wasn't burn, it was as though bleach had been spilled on some of the leaves and buds. Still soft, never turned brown, they just lost all chlorophyl and went completely white. I believe, but I'm not positive, that this may have happened because I didn't up the feed along with upping the photons that were hitting them. It's only happened the one time.

The movers that allow a pause at the end of each cycle (the lateral, non-circular movers) are better because they prevent the plants on the ends from getting less time under the light.

B

Bobby Smith

I was playing around with figuring out how to build a vertical light mover (for 2 1Ks) with a pulley system for my vertical PVC system, but then decided that 4 600s would be pretty comparable.

Before I've even run it, though, I'm already wanting to put in 4 1Ks (avatar) and run them on a 1&3 and 2&4 flip-flop..........I really think that flip-flops are a more efficient and simple way to get the benefits of light "moving" without the headaches (especially if aircooling) and extra electricity that the light movers use.

J

jackbgrower

There, fixed it for you.

I don't feel movers are a waste as long as they're used properly. They cannot substitute for more light, but they absolutely can help you use the light you have available more efficiently. You do have to be prepared for a few things, like letting go of the idea that movers always allow you to get the light closer to the plants--this is not always true. First time I used my light I got a very strange bleaching on the tops of some of the girls. It wasn't burn, it was as though bleach had been spilled on some of the leaves and buds. Still soft, never turned brown, they just lost all chlorophyl and went completely white. I believe, but I'm not positive, that this may have happened because I didn't up the feed along with upping the photons that were hitting them. It's only happened the one time.

The movers that allow a pause at the end of each cycle (the lateral, non-circular movers) are better because they prevent the plants on the ends from getting less time under the light.

Not sure what you fixed in his post, your correction made the sentence unintelligible. I also can't agree about the feeding aspects either, look at the sun and look at weed that grows in low nutrient rich soil (peanut farms), do you see the same type of white bleaching on the plant?

I think light movers are the most efficient way to use your light, but the light movers on the market today suck balls. Especially since I have yet to see a circular track which I think would make it awesome, or a vertical lamp that literally swings around a tree. A 1000W swinging around a tree with no need to rotate the plant. However until it is legal on a federal level you won't see any huge leaps in innovation for light movers.

B

Bobby Smith

Instead of swinging the light around the plant, why not rotate the plant on its axis next to a fixed column of light?

That's my plan..........there's a tree turntable thread somewhere around here where I laid it out - pretty much the Hydro Spinner in a DIY form.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would respond to jack, but it appears he's no longer a member here. <shrug>

Giddeon

Giddeon

BOBBY,

about the vertical mover....
I actually had the same Idea to use in my MPB set up. I have a Light Rail 5 kit just sitting collecting dust and figured if i could move vertical hanging lights up and down just 1' I might be able to increase my yield. Im in the process of working out the kinks and getting one set up to test run before i install it in my room. It basically consists of 1 motor going back and forth on the smallest piece of track and a bunch of galvanized steel cable connecting it all, and will be moving 2 lights per side up and down. Maybe Ill throw up a DIY vertical mover thread when I'm complete.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Old thread I know, but I do love movers.
I've used them since 2010 and have really gotten great results.
I use the Light Rail 3.5 system on a 6 ft track with 2 Sun Systems Magnum XXXL6'S. Each reflector has an additional socket mounted perpendicular to the factory socket and I run a 600w HPS and a 600w conversion MH in each reflector.
I move thes back and forth 26" with a 30 second delay at each end. And I run about an 18" height from plants.
This is over a Smart Pot 6' bag.
Dunk

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Old thread I know, but I do love movers.
I've used them since 2010 and have really gotten great results.
I use the Light Rail 3.5 system on a 6 ft track with 2 Sun Systems Magnum XXXL6'S. Each reflector has an additional socket mounted perpendicular to the factory socket and I run a 600w HPS and a 600w conversion MH in each reflector.
I move thes back and forth 26" with a 30 second delay at each end. And I run about an 18" height from plants.
This is over a Smart Pot 6' bag.
Dunk

Really cool sounding setup. Bet you get some quality.

Top Bottom