light options & nute question

• Thread starter Ursus-SUON
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

Ursus-SUON

I play on doing a 2 plant bubbleponics set up and had a question about lights and nutes.

I have a 150watt hps, but I thought id just use that for flowering and use 2 fluoro tubes and about 3-4 42 watt cfl's per plant. My question is should I use the hps from sprout to flower along with the cfls or just use straight cfls.

My other question is pretty simple, how often should I add nutes to my reservoir and when I do, do I have to refill the res with fresh water?

M

med.botany

i would use just the CFL's for the seedlings then you can bump them up to HPS when they get a bit older...i dont do hydro but i know you have to feed more than you would with soil...im an organic soil kinda grower

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

I play on doing a 2 plant bubbleponics set up and had a question about lights and nutes.

I have a 150watt hps, but I thought id just use that for flowering and use 2 fluoro tubes and about 3-4 42 watt cfl's per plant. My question is should I use the hps from sprout to flower along with the cfls or just use straight cfls.

My other question is pretty simple, how often should I add nutes to my reservoir and when I do, do I have to refill the res with fresh water?

i'm new here so maybe i'm being presumptuous but, as a former
CFLer currently making the switch to 2x 150wtt HPS's, i thought
i could add something.

first, IMO, with seedlings, you don't need much light at all.
until they grow upward to 3 or 4 nodes, those tubes you have
would be plenty of light.

that should be about 3 weeks after pop, then you add the CFL's.
and if you haven't bought them yet, you might consider the
23 and 26 watters as a better, more cost effective option.

myself, i found the 42's to be way too much buck for my bulb,
if you know what i mean, lol. ...they run about $10.00 each
if my memory serves me right.

now, the 23's and the 26's are ubiquitous, ...and cheap too, lol.
...usually you can find them in 3 and 4 packs for like,
$6.00 or $8.00, often with a $2.99 coupon sponsored by your
local electric company, so, essentially, they're a buck each.

then, because you have several points of light, you spread the
heat more evenly, plus you maximize the limited penetration
of the CFL's.

flouro's are also more cost effective to run so they are a good
alternative for vegging at least.

as to the hydro, i'm not really qualified to give an opinion on that,
i wouldn't want to lead anyone down the wrong road.

peace, bozo

U

Ursus-SUON

i didnt want to start a new thread but im in a predicament....

the ph of my water is 7.0 from the tap and i dont think the filtered water through the fridge is anybetter. I dont have any ph down or anything like that so how do i get the ph of JUST my water down and with the nutes?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

lol, ...why is it you think anyone will bother answering your
questions, grasshopper?

...i mean, when you didn't even have the courtesy to
acknowledge the answers to your first questions?

...and do you even bother doing any research on your
own, ...or do you just ask questions and wait?

U

Ursus-SUON

i read your post and to say i wasnt courteous is just dumb on your part. I've done research but thats why i come to the forums for help on things i cant find on my own. now if anyone can seem to throw out some useful information except bonzo's useless blabber.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

i read your post and to say i wasnt courteous is just dumb on your part. I've done research but thats why i come to the forums for help on things i cant find on my own. now if anyone can seem to throw out some useful information except bonzo's useless blabber.

you're welcome, ...lol.

J

Jafo

Ursus-SUON

A tap water pH of 7.0 isn't too bad, generally more important is knowing what the EC/ppm is. If you are going to grow hydroponically I'd suggest getting and EC/ppm meter and a pH meter, or at the very least a test kit.
I'm currently using a Hanna Gro Check, which I like a lot, but probably the most robust and reliable EC/ppm meter I've used is the NZ(now Blue Lab) Truncheon.
If you know what your water quality is, you can make the first step of deciding of either going with Hard or Soft water nutrients.

Personally with mineral/bio-mineral nutes, I found it best to change the res once a week to reduce the chance of potential problems. Found that you could leave the res change for longer but the chance of nute issues increased.
I'd feed for 6 days a week, day 7 use water and additives(B-vits, Humic, Fulvic...). I liked to feed over a pH spread of around .5, so that if your target pH was 5.6, set the pH to 5.4 and let it drift to 5.9 before dropping it back to 5.4. For vegging I'd run the pH about .2-.3 higher than the target pH.
I'd check the water level at least once a day, if the temps are warm more often. When you top up the water, check the ppm and adjust it to what it was at the start of the week, maybe a fraction higher, then adjust the pH. Ideally check the pH at least once a day if the nutes aren't buffered.
Week on week look to increase the ppm, until you hit the peak feed strength(for myself about 3 weeks from the chop). If you are running a mainly indica strain, I'd suggest increasing the ppm by about 100-200ppm(700 scale) each week, for sativa strains 50-100ppm(700 scale). Read the plants, if it isn't enough add a fraction more, if it's too much remove some of the res and top up with water and adjust pH.

If you are looking for non-hydro products for dropping your pH, try using vinegar or food grade citric acid(bought a load from a home brewing company). You'll still need to know what the pH is, meter or test kit, so you don't drop the pH too much.
As both vinegar and citric acid are 'weak acids' they tend to need more to drop the pH and tend to have a quicker pH climb afterwards while the equilibruim is established. Hydroponic 'strong acids', Nitric or Phosphoric, usually need a lot less to adjust the pH and have a slower pH climb as the equilibrium is established more quickly.
Personally I like to use nitric acid during veg, and a combination of citric and phosphoric acid during flowering.

As far as I know, a number of hydroponic nutes have buffers in them so that very little pH adjusting is needed. A number of friends use Ionic nutes, and very rarely need to adjust pH and get decent results.
If you have Humic or Fulvic acid, then you could use this to drop the pH.

If you are going to do hydro, hydrogen peroxide can be a very useful thing to add to your res. Helps to keep pathogens in check and keep the dissolved oxygen levels up.

Top Bottom