Light+plant placement / layout / what would you do...

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

Ttystikk, adapted from thaistick- the nickname I got after I outgrew 'roach', lol

Chillers are not swamp coolers. A chiller unit is just like AC, only it makes cold water instead of air. Another difference is that while an AC unit has a built in fan to blow cold air, a chiller typically does not have a pump for moving water. This is less of an issue than it sounds because a chilling system is going to have a water pump anyway.

A swamp cooler works by evaporating water into air. The water circulation system in a water chilling setup is not meant to evaporate, as it carries energy in the cold water itself. The amount of cooling is limited by the temperature difference between the water and the environment being cooled, how much surface area there is interacting between the two (size of radiators) and the amount of air passing through the exchangers.

Do not use a chiller to cool the hot water leaving your water cooled CO² burner- it's a huge waste of power. Hell, use the hot water to heat your house, or a hot tub or at least send it outside to a big open topped tank, where it can cool before being recirculated. Keep this water system totally separate from the cooling circuits.

The reason water chilling is the best solution for high performance indoor growing is that it integrates the control of air temperature, relative humidity and water temperature, keeping climate stable and doing it with less energy usage.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Can you link a unit you like please?

Still not understanding how a water chiller (I own a few) cools hot room air?

Water Cooled lights?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Can you link a unit you like please?

Still not understanding how a water chiller (I own a few) cools hot room air?

Water Cooled lights?

You run the cold water through a radiator and then blow hot room air through said radiator. Control the fan with a thermostat to control room air temperature. Cold water in the radiator will also make it sweat, which is how it controls humidity. The water dripping from it is distilled from the air, so it can be safely poured back into your RDWC. Don't let it sit in a dead reservoir and then onto plants without sterilizing it.

Thus, one compressor does three temperature related jobs and does them without working against one another. No other AC does that, and no AC can shut off for awhile while still providing active cooling- but a chiller with a reservoir can do exactly that, saving operating costs by closely matching the unit's output with the heat load.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Huge huge fan of water chilling and cooling. Reef keeper and DIY water cooled graphic workstation I've assembled from parts and upgraded for years.

Water cooling is full of win.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Ahhh. Now seeing what you're getting at. Like me parts.
For the live of Jeebus please link me some parts...

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

LOVE of Jeebus.
Stupid typos. This keyboard is wack.

Liiiiiiiiink, Stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick
Liiiiiiiiink....
(please)

ttystikk

ttystikk

LOL put the coffeecup down and back away slowly...

Hydro innovations for their ChillKing chiller. I personally recommend the two ton unit for most growing at home, there are other units out there when it's time to scale up. In fact, lots of industrial process cooling is done with water since it's more compact, carries bigger heat loads and is even more efficient as it scales up.

I sourced most of the parts for my circulation system at home depot, and hydro innovations also has a good selection of water pumps to run the system. Tell them I sent you.

SoSay

SoSay

My room is 192 sq ft. (16x12x8) with 8 1,ooow vented hoods with a 10'' and 8'' vortex inlines pushing air. I also run co2 and i have a 18,000 BTU paper weight. (A/c doesnt work)
What would I need to get a chiller setup ?
Thx

ttystikk

ttystikk

My room is 192 sq ft. (16x12x8) with 8 1,ooow vented hoods with a 10'' and 8'' vortex inlines pushing air. I also run co2 and i have a 18,000 BTU paper weight. (A/c doesnt work)
What would I need to get a chiller setup ?
Thx

First, remove the vent fan that's pushing air through your hoods, as it's worse than useless; it's like contributing to heating your room! I cool 8kW of magnum xxxl hoods in a double barrel configuration with just one 8" inline fan sucking from the downwind side, and it's plenty! That's one fan for all 8 hoods, I use a Y connector to pull both sides of the double barrel together just before the fan. Now that's good for 3-5 degrees F, and we can move on to discuss your situation;

First, in your shoes I would want to run a third row of four hoods, to give that whole room sufficient light pressure. Are you running the whole room? A single two Ton chiller will keep up with 8kW of sealed and vented lighting, or 5-6 if they're open. This means that with any expansion you'll need either 4 Tons of capacity, or possibly cut your room in half and run the two sides on a flip schedule. Your single 2 Ton chiller would handle both sides with 5kW of bare bulbs just fine!

I can be more help with more details about your situation.

SoSay

SoSay

First, remove the vent fan that's pushing air through your hoods, as it's worse than useless; it's like contributing to heating your room! I cool 8kW of magnum xxxl hoods in a double barrel configuration with just one 8" inline fan sucking from the downwind side, and it's plenty! That's one fan for all 8 hoods, I use a Y connector to pull both sides of the double barrel together just before the fan. Now that's good for 3-5 degrees F, and we can move on to discuss your situation;

First, in your shoes I would want to run a third row of four hoods, to give that whole room sufficient light pressure. Are you running the whole room? A single two Ton chiller will keep up with 8kW of sealed and vented lighting, or 5-6 if they're open. This means that with any expansion you'll need either 4 Tons of capacity, or possibly cut your room in half and run the two sides on a flip schedule. Your single 2 Ton chiller would handle both sides with 5kW of bare bulbs just fine!

I can be more help with more details about your situation.

Thx for the response ! Ive been in the process of rebuilding and upgrading my room in both size and watts . Ive got everything in place but have yet to get it all dialed in.! My girls shouldve been flipped last week! Here are details i should've mentioned from the start:
I have 3 rows of 1000w hoods - (2 rows w/3 lights and another with 2 lights) I have an 8 light controller box
I have a 10 " fan is located outside the room and comes into a Y for 2 of the rows and and 8" inside the room for the other row
4 oscillating fans on each wall
Can Filter with an 8" vortex to scrub the air
55 gallon resevior
I have a seperate veg room.
When i run it as is, the temp gets up to 91-92 degrees :/
What can i do and what are most economical options? ( project budget is getting low)
Thx

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Use cold winter night air to your advantage, or duct the fans so all air is pulled from outside back to outside.

LG mini split a/c could help too for cheap-ish. Maybe the room chiller route.

You could alternate lights so you use them all but have a couple off for the hottest times.

Heat is a bitch. And the Miami Heat is the most awful bitch of all.

Top Bottom