Light reflection hitting bottom of leafs.

• Thread starter LordDankinstien
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do plants benefit or become stressed from light hitting the underside of leafs?

• Some stress but the benefit is worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Ok so I have a question for people. What do you think about having reflective material on surfaces, that are below you lowest branches and leafs on your plants? Ive been told plants dont like light hitting the bottom of the leafs and from what Ive learned im starting to wonder if it stresses the plants out. So my pole question is do you think the plant benefits from having light reflecting from the bottom or do you think it harms it? Also anyone who has read a study or some research on this topic please post a link.
:bong-hits:

J

jakew215

ive read and heard that the undersides are very sensitive, i think it has a lot to do with respiration of the plant. seems like it would dry the plant out awfully quick too.

never used anything reflective under mine but to my belief is only harm done...

J

Jalisco Kid

If I remember my schooling it fucks with the guard cells. JK

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I used to put mylar over my pots when I grew in soil, really helped keep down the gnats as the reflecting light fucks up their visual orientation and prevents them from having easy access to the dirt. Im pretty sure the panda plastic block covers would do the same thing, there wasnt much light reflecting back up and the plants never seemed to suffer.

greenthumbdanny puts panda plastic over his 4x 8 trays to keep algae from growing.

plenty of people use vertical light, some of that has to be hitting underneath leaves on higher branches.

so blasting them from underneath, prolly not good, but a little light that makes it through the canopy from 3 feet or more up, prolly ok

dextr0

dextr0

Better Reds Tomato Mulch

Developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Red Tomato Mulch has been extensively tested to show on average a 20% increase in fruit yield. It does this by reflecting a specific range of light frequencies found in sunlight up into the undersides of your crop's leaves and to the developing fruit. Research shows that some plants respond especially well to certain wavelengths of light - specifically, tomatoes.

Click here for Tips & Installation Instructions.

All tomato plants need constant moisture, and the ground mulching effect of the film (i.e., covering the dirt) holds the moisture in, reduces water runoff, and discourages weeds. In addition, Better Reds™ warms the soil to stimulate early plant growth and continues to improve yield at the end of the season by keeping soil warm on cooler nights. Can also be used for strawberries, melons, and other crops that fruit above ground. Garden Staples (sold separate) can be used to help secure the material. Reusable. Contains eight pre-cut 3' x 3' sheets (72 square feet).....

i thought this was cool...intresting at least....whos gonna make one of these for cannabis?

Top Bottom