Light Requirements For Sativas

• Thread starter damien50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
damien50

damien50

I'm growing Malawi x Panama and Ace says they require intense lighting. Do sativas have different light requirements than indica or is this strain specific?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Probably just want decently strong lights. I've never had any problems growing sativas with the same lights I use for other plants.

damien50

damien50

Probably just want decently strong lights. I've never had any problems growing sativas with the same lights I use for other plants.

I've never grown them so I didn't know if my lights were too weak or maybe they are just growing slowly.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I've never grown them so I didn't know if my lights were too weak or maybe they are just growing slowly.
What lights do you have? If they grow indica fine, I think you're probably fine.

damien50

damien50

What lights do you have? If they grow indica fine, I think you're probably fine.

I've never used thembefore but 12 bridgelux 44" strips with an adjustable 480w driver.

This is them at 16 days(yesterday)(don't talk about me throwing in the scrog net I've never done it before lol).
IMG 20190401 182230242

London bud

London bud

I'm not sure I could be wrong but I think sativas are mostly in nature from the tropics or near by where the natural light is pretty much 12/12 all year round so they don't have to grow and finish as quickly as an indica trying to finish before winter because there's no seasons in the tropics. That's why sometimes growers need longer than 12hours of dark to make the sativa flower, because they veg in almost 12/12 in nature.
I haven't grown any pure sativa but I imagine they could thrive wit slightly different lighting times to indica

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

That's great to know! I'll take the pipe cleaners off tonight, I wanted clones anyway lol. Anything else I should know about scrogging?
Keep tucking for two weeks after you change the lights, then let them go.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

So I'm lacking height right now? When should I change the lights, another two weeks?
Yeah you've got a ways to go. Raise the netting, let the plants start filling the netting, tucking the tops under as they grow, when the netting is about 70% full, switch the lights, and keep tucking for about two more weeks (varies with strain).

damien50

damien50

Yeah you've got a ways to go. Raise the netting, let the plants start filling the netting, tucking the tops under as they grow, when the netting is about 70% full, switch the lights, and keep tucking for about two more weeks (varies with strain).
Alright sounds good. Thank you

Erick31876

Erick31876

Sativas usually take a few weeks longer to finish and the buds aren't the round shape as a indica. @Jimster grows them a lot, you can ask him he would be able to give you a better answer

The Jewels

The Jewels

Could the recommendation relate to law of inverse square ?

That is to say, if the sativa grows to twice the height of indica - the bottom of the sativa would be getting 1/4 intensity ,,,being twice as far away.

Just mumbling out loud here.

MBVapester

MBVapester

That is to say, if the sativa grows to twice the height of indica - the bottom of the sativa would be getting 1/4 intensity ,,,being twice as far away.

Not sure but if left naturally w/o defoliation light will reach lower on the sativas as they generally are not as thick. I am growing both in the same room and lower down I would say my sativas get better light. They also don’t like as aggressive defoliation as an indica will.

The Jewels

The Jewels

"Better" (in your case) meaning unobstructed.

Although,,,I could point my grow light across the street, directly at my neighbours strawberry patch ; I cannot expect berries .

Double distance equals quarter intensity .
No two ways about it .

MBVapester

MBVapester

Agreed. Intensity is where it’s at for sure. I will be lollipopping more next grow but right now I see more buds, granted larfy but more on the sativas becuz light is getting there vs not.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

This is a good observation. The bottom half of any plant is suffering, no matter what.

damien50

damien50

Not sure but if left naturally w/o defoliation light will reach lower on the sativas as they generally are not as thick. I am growing both in the same room and lower down I would say my sativas get better light. They also don’t like as aggressive defoliation as an indica will.

Mine are growing short and bushy right now for some reason.

Top Bottom