Light Schedual ???

• Thread starter BluntMazter86
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Im wandering if it is better to run lights 24 hours or 18/6 hours during veg. I want to know if there are any benefits for doing it either way besides saving power. Im currently running 24 hours. Thanks for any help.

W

watercooled

No confirmed known benefit for 24 hours on cannabis.

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Thanks man for the reply. I did have my lights running 18/6 for like 5 weeks then I took a few clones and Ive always heard that clones should be in 24 hours of light so I switched it up since I only have 1 room for both clones/mothers. Is this ok to do(I didnt notice any stress to the plants) or should I switch it back(I DO NOT want my moms to start flowering from a drop in light) Any advice??:)

R

Radio_Dread

i run 24 hr light the first week or so til the beans pop the surface. then when i transplant to the seedling containers, i switch my light to 18/6 and the plants seem to respond well to the dark period.

RD

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Cool thanks RD. My mother plants are nearly two months old now is it ok to switch them at this point back to 18/6 or will it make them flower?

O

Old HAGgler

i have mine on 24 hrs. not that much of a price change, like probably 3 dollars a month....

i remember seeing a thread a while back about this dumb kid saying he'd never to 24 hours, and both breeders i had beans from and a bunch of respectable people all said they do 24 hrs of light. i went with that, i have never seen a problem with it....

R

Radio_Dread

Cool thanks RD. My mother plants are nearly two months old now is it ok to switch them at this point back to 18/6 or will it make them flower?

no problem dude, glad i can help ya out. i think you should be fine switching the light from 24 to 18/6. if they do start to flower you dont want those plants anyways. stable plants will not flower until you swtich to 12/12. best of luck and keep us posted.

RD:cool0041:

K

Kaiser Puff

24/0 will result in a faster growth rate but at a diminishing return, so the 33% more light doesn't mean 33% faster growth.

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

i have mine on 24 hrs. not that much of a price change, like probably 3 dollars a month....

i remember seeing a thread a while back about this dumb kid saying he'd never to 24 hours, and both breeders i had beans from and a bunch of respectable people all said they do 24 hrs of light. i went with that, i have never seen a problem with it....

Thanks OH, from what Ive read a lot of people do run 24 hours and just as many people run 18/6 so im kinda confused on which is better. I am wandering if there are any tested and proven benefits or disadvantages from doing either method.:stonedsmilie:

J

johard59

Yeah it is not necessary to provide lights for 24 hours it will be wastage of light according to me if you provide 12-14 hours it will be enough you can get good results.

baaka_san

baaka_san

i too have the same situation where my klones share the same space with vegging girls and their mom.. i've too been letting my lights go 24/. everything has been ok, i just open everything up when all lights are on and it seems to kool so far.

im wondering though.. if you turned off the light/s vegging your ladies.. kould you still have a blue florescent over your klones or kloner? is the dark period just as important during veg? and or is it ok to have a dark period on a cloner as i would assume the humidity might bekome a problem?:wondering

hopefully this will help to answer some of our questions...:passingjoint:

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

im wondering though.. if you turned off the light/s vegging your ladies.. kould you still have a blue florescent over your klones or kloner? is the dark period just as important during veg? and or is it ok to have a dark period on a cloner as i would assume the humidity might bekome a problem?

Thanks for the input baaka:) I think that if you have a "dark period" then it should be of true darkness. But I heard that 24 hours of light wont hurt the plant and you would think that the more light they receive would make them grow faster.

justiceman

justiceman

24/0 will result in a faster growth rate but at a diminishing return, so the 33% more light doesn't mean 33% faster growth.

Agreed.

I have heard that some people think of it purely in terms of hours. Let's say you usually do a 1 month veg. Let's just say that's 28 days. That would be 504 hours of Light(veg). So some people try to cut that down by doing 24 hour vegging in order to complete their 504 hours in 21 days. So that's a saving of seven day's or 25% of your veg time.

I don't think it hurts the plant but as Kaiser Puff said I do think the extra 6 hours come at a diminishing return. It's natural for a plant to have a night cycle so that's why I do 18/6. I respect people that do 24/0 and I don't knock them at all. If it works for them that's fine, but I try to keep it 18/6. I will admit though I fit the 6 hours within the hottest parts of the day to keep my grow room temps consistent.

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Agreed.

I have heard that some people think of it purely in terms of hours. Let's say you usually do a 1 month veg. Let's just say that's 28 days. That would be 504 hours of Light(veg). So some people try to cut that down by doing 24 hour vegging in order to complete their 504 hours in 21 days. So that's a saving of seven day's or 25% of your veg time.

I don't think it hurts the plant but as Kaiser Puff said I do think the extra 6 hours come at a diminishing return. It's natural for a plant to have a night cycle so that's why I do 18/6. I respect people that do 24/0 and I don't knock them at all. If it works for them that's fine, but I try to keep it 18/6. I will admit though I fit the 6 hours within the hottest parts of the day to keep my grow room temps consistent.

That is the kind of answer I was looking for! I didnt understand what KP was talking about lol but I got it now. So I guess I'll build a seperate area for my cutts and switch my moms back to 18/6. Thanks man.

Top Bottom