light scorch, or nutrient deficiency from flush

• Thread starter Jimmy401
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimmy401

have been growing for a year, have had many successful harvests as I learn the ropes. I have a 4x4 flower tent with 5x 100w spiderfarmer boards, and a veg tent with a 300w spiderfarmer bar light. there are currently 5 strains in the flower tent and 6 different strains in the veg. I did a massive flush to everything in the flower tent and the largest in the veg, a gg4. I had everything stuffed into a flower tent up until 3 weeks ago. I had tested my runoff and it wad like 5000ppm so I flushed everything down to 800ish ppm. this seemed to bleach everything. I had also just started new nutrients gh flora series. I think the runoff was really just pulling salt from the bag as it left and artificially raised the ppm.

this is my first full coco grow as soil was becoming an issue with gnats, also due to my overwatering. my new plan of attack is to feed daily at a lower ppm. once set up the veg tent just stalled until I raised the light and dimming down to 10k lux. everything seems to be coming back now, especially newer plants I used rapid rooters in. I guess I'm just wondering if this appears to be underfed / scorched? was also fighting rust spots since the flush, but it seems to be under control since a few plants were Harvested and I made my adjustments

Light scorch or nutrient deficiency from flush
Light scorch or nutrient deficiency from flush 2
Light scorch or nutrient deficiency from flush 3
Light scorch or nutrient deficiency from flush 4
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I guess I'm just wondering if this appears to be underfed / scorched?
Many of them look like they have nutrient problems. I never flush and I don't use pure coco, so I can't help much. Yellowing of lower leaves is often caused by the plant moving mobile nutrients to the new growth. With so many plants of different strains, it's hard to suggest a single solution.

J

Jimmy401

Many of them look like they have nutrient problems. I never flush and I don't use pure coco, so I can't help much. Yellowing of lower leaves is often caused by the plant moving mobile nutrients to the new growth. With so many plants of different strains, it's hard to suggest a single solution.
the lower yellow leaves means the whole plant looked like that. any healthy looking leaves are new growth

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
the lower yellow leaves means the whole plant looked like that. any healthy looking leaves are new growth
Okay. I think it's safe to say that yellowing leaves usually means the plant isn't getting some of the nutrients it needs. Figuring out the reason is the hard part. Your plants don't look light stressed to me. I don't grow in coco, though. Good luck with your grow.

H

hoobastank_enthusiast

I do grow in coco and looking at those bags that coco is way too dry. coco should be maintained at 90-100% saturation at all times. my guess is you have an inordinate amount of salt buildup because you're not watering enough every day to produce an adequate amount of run-off. also next time you want to add in a little bit of something like perlite instead of going pure coco. something around 70 coco/30 perlite works well.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello Jimmy.
Welcome to the forum.
You actually have some nice looking plants! I know everybody seems to be beating you up. It's not meant like that.
So lets see if we can help you get your garden green and thriving again. Shall we.

Please watch this video. It is very important that you wash and buffer coco just like this. If not for this grow. You know for next time around.

Do you have a PH pen, EC pen and a PPM pen?

The truth is. That Growing in coco is a type of hydroponics. You feed / way over water the plant with a very week solution of fertilizer every couple of hours. 5 or 6 times a day. I myself am not a fan of coco but it works very well for some growers. It just depends on the growers likes and dislikes.

In over watering buy say 10% every time. The solution itself washes away any salt buildup in the coco every watering so there is no buildup.

The problem you have now is.
When you flushed your plants. You washed out everything. All the minerals go out the bottom of the pot along with the bad stuff.
We need to put the good stuff back in the pots so that your plants can find it again and start growing.

You mentioned this: I had tested my runoff and it wad like 5000ppm so I flushed everything down to 800ish ppm. this seemed to bleach everything. I had also just started new nutrients gh flora series. I think the runoff was really just pulling salt from the bag as it left and artificially raised the ppm.

This is why we use an E.C. Pen. We can calculate the fertilizer N-P-K in parts per million. Calculate any number % of nitrogen we want to feed the plant. Put it in the top of the pot. Then measure the solution as it comes out the bottom of the pot. From this we can calculate if we are under or over feeding the plant on an ongoing basses. No guessing!

Please watch this video. This is quite easy after you play with it a bit. So grab some paper a pen and a calulater.
Make it fun. Just right it all down and run numbers.
A parts per million meter and an E.C meter measure the same thing. Electrical conductivity if the solution.
A ppm meter calculates the number of parts per million of dissolved solids in a solution. Everything, lime sugar salt what ever and calculates it in parts per million. Then shows you a ppm number.

Understanding E.C meter measurement.

Then watch this video.

Right now you need to make up a big bucket of Flora Grow solution that will suit your plants.
You will need a bucket of veg solution for veging plants. And a bucket for flowering plants.
Soak every pot until you get 10% out the bottom. Do this at least 3 times a day. 4 times would be better.

If you buffered your coco great. If not. You will need to make a very light solution of cal-mag and folier spray the plant
with calcium and magnesium as ant calcium you put in the coco will be instantly sucked up buy the coco and the plant wont get any.
Use a very very fine mist and a little soap so the water lays out on the leaf not droplets.

Last edited:
H

hoobastank_enthusiast

No one in this thread was attempting to beat him up. In truth everyone who comes into the coco subforum just to say "I don't actually grow in coco but you should do this" while linking what is most obviously the first search result on Youtube is exacting far more of a beat-up.

J

Jimmy401

I did buffer, and I guess I have just been underfeeding. the bags never dry out and the only 2 that do actually are doing the best. however going forward I will be feeding daily. my veg tent just seems to be ovetwatered to me and gives me ptsd of overwatered soil and pests. the tops of my bags look real dry because of the airflow but the bottom 80% is still soaked and heavy

Last edited:
J

Jimmy401

I did buffer, and I guess I have just been underfeeding. the bags never dry out and the only 2 that do actually ate doing the best. however going forward I will be feeding daily. my veg tent just seems to be ovetwatered to me and gives me ptsd of overwatered soil and pests. the tops of my bags look real dry because of the airflow but the bottom 80% is still soaked and heavy
also thinking about getting an auto feeder because I'm currently gone 15 hours a day 4 days a week. and I can't trust me sahw with 4 kids to hover over the tents all day.

J

Jimmy401

my original flush I believe was caused by reusing bags that were not thoroughly washed. so the runoff was absorbing the salt buildup in and on the bag changing it from healthy to 5000+ppm when in reality they were fine. my 800ppm runoff I got it down to probably meant the real run off was zero and I was just pulling 800ppm of salt off the bag when it ran out.

J

Jimmy401

set up a pump for the flower tent and will most likely order a 2nd for the veg. things are definitely looking 100% better in the veg tent over the last few days.

20231029 132510
20231029 132500
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
my first thought when I saw this days ago was they looked hungry
I wasn’t confident am & still not when it comes to nute problems so sometimes I don’t say anything. Tbf I don’t deal with coir anymore so it was interesting to see what folks had to say.
Glad there looking better and hope you get to enjoy the harvest 👍🙂

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello again Jimmy.
What it all boils down to in the end, is that you seem to have figured out whats up with your plants and are making appropriate corrections.

If you can find the time watch the videos I posted above for you. Or open and save to your browser so you can find them later. They will really help you in future grows.
All the best. Ron

J

Jimmy401

Hello again Jimmy.
What it all boils down to in the end, is that you seem to have figured out whats up with your plants and are making appropriate corrections.

If you can find the time watch the videos I posted above for you. Or open and save to your browser so you can find them later. They will really help you in future grows.
All the best. Ron
now that everything is going smooth I have just one plant that is rapidly failing with familiar symptoms . does this look like rust?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

If you look closely at the leaf edges. See how they are rolled up. This is light stress. Place her in a corner of the tent where the light is a little less intense.

As I posted in a previous post. Coco is one of the finest mediums you can grow cannabis in. But. It must be washed. It must be Buffered and it must be cut 70/30 with Perlite. There are no exemptions.

Un buffered coco sucks up any available calcium you put in the pot. And the plant does not have access to the Calcium.
I suspect that this is the issue with this plant.

J

Jimmy401

If you look closely at the leaf edges. See how they are rolled up. This is light stress. Place her in a corner of the tent where the light is a little less intense.

As I posted in a previous post. Coco is one of the finest mediums you can grow cannabis in. But. It must be washed. It must be Buffered and it must be cut 70/30 with Perlite. There are no exemptions.

Un buffered coco sucks up any available calcium you put in the pot. And the plant does not have access to the Calcium.
I suspect that this is the issue with this plant.
all my coco was washed and buffered at 7.5 ml per gallon, and ph'd to 5.8. the perlite unfortunately didn't make it into the mix this batch but I have repotted a couple and added some. so it's most likely light stree given that it's dead center of the tent and I have been gradually raising the light %

Top Bottom