Light seems underpowered ,crank her up?

• Thread starter Growembig4200
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growembig4200

Growembig4200

Picked up a light, same specs as a sf4000 same 880 diode board, same exact dual meanwell drivers,Samsung lm301b’s, dimmer set up, etc. it is only pulling 300w from the wall cranked to 100, nice enough light, but see a lot of the exact same spec lights pulling 400 up to 480. There are 2 adjustable pots on the bottom of each driver, one voltage one current. Now I don’t know enough about electricity and drivers and such. But I have a buddy who knows and has the meters and what have you. Can this thing be cranked up a little bit, even at the loss of some efficiency,
thanks in advance for any direction

Light seems underpowered crank her up
Light seems underpowered crank her up 2
Light seems underpowered crank her up 3
Light seems underpowered crank her up 4
Growembig4200

Growembig4200

Yeah, they are ready, I’m flipping a full 3x3 scrog and cranked, she only pulls 300w, I have another light but was wondering if there was a way to pull 400+watts out of these drivers

Growembig4200

Growembig4200

I mean even 380 would be ok but 300 isn’t enough to run over a full 3x3 space, 33w per sf is kinda weak, doable, but a little more would be great

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
That's a 240 watt driver, check the spec. If it's pulling 300 watts, it's already over.

No, I would be pushing my lights past the spec, especially using passive cooling. If I did it at all, I would be using an appropriate diver (so I don't burn shit up) and I would be using active cooling measures. Plus, I know doing this is also going to greatly reduce shelf life, and degrade the diode output far sooner.

Light quality already degrades over time, why would you want to expedite that?

I mean, there your lights, do what you want, but I think it's a waste of time, money, and the net benefit is marginal at best.
Stick to overclocking CPU's, not your grow lights...

My overclock setup: I've been building and overclocking electronics for over 25 years.
Intel i5 [email protected]
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR OC 8GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200@3400mhz
Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS
Corsair Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm Extreme Liquid CPU Cooler
ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW 120 mm GPU Liquid Cooler
Corsair Gaming K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — CHERRY® MX Fast
Logitech G pro mouse
3D Speed Edition Razer Goliathus XXL
Monoprice Zero-G Gaming Monitor - 25 Inch AMDFreeSync, 240Hz, 1ms

Last edited:
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Are you saying the light is rated for 400+ watts but it's only pulling 300 from the wall?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Actually, I stand corrected, there's 2 drivers on there, so you should be pulling close to 480 watts.

Just noticing that looking at the pics. Are you sure your wiring is good? Is the dial upping the light when you turn it?

In the past, I've had wires become disconnected from the dial, and it causes the light to run on low, so you might want to doublecheck all your connections.

Growembig4200

Growembig4200

I think the lo and vo Pots on the bottom of drivers may not have been set righ at factory,, checked and rechecked wires,or it could possibly be the dimmer. It dims from zero to like a 1/2 then no more wattage after 1/2. i am looking into finding another set of wires for it, gonna try to swap em out, or just buy another light; which would kinda suck

Growembig4200

Growembig4200

Wiring for reference, any idea where to get a new wiring harness

53458DF3 FB41 4DE8 91DF D5131BE710E3
MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

Actually, I stand corrected, there's 2 drivers on there, so you should be pulling close to 480 watts.

Just noticing that looking at the pics. Are you sure your wiring is good? Is the dial upping the light when you turn it?

In the past, I've had wires become disconnected from the dial, and it causes the light to run on low, so you might want to doublecheck all your connections.
Your potentiometers might be the problem. It might not allow full 240w from the driver?

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

Your potentiometers might be the problem. It might not allow full 240w from the driver?
I say that because the pots with my hgl are an analog dial, it has 10 increments but I haven’t measured accuracy. In theory it should be 1/10 of max 260w or 26w a notch. A par meter will solve it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom