Light setup for 5x5 room, Whats your input?!

• Thread starter Going4Green
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Witch light setup would you want in a 5x5 room?

• 2 - 1000s

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • 4 - 600s

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 6 - 400s

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Going4Green

Alright been planning on upgrading my light setup for the flower room, reading allot of different points of views on the subject. Everyone is saying wattage per square foot is important and 50 to 75 should be minimum.

The room is a square 5x5 room with 7 foot tall ceiling.

There's three different ways i was thinking of going:
2 - 1000s
4 - 600s
6 - 400s

Theres going to be enough AC in the room to cover 3000watts

Each setup has pros and cons i believe so it is really up to me what i want to do, but if this was going to be your setup and money didn't matter, witch way would you want to go?

G

Going4Green

1000s

With the 1000 watt light i was thinking, you should only have the light around 18" at the least away from the top of your plants with out air cooled hoods. Also i will be using the house and garden nute line and heard that when it comes to the shoooting powder, to try and have your lights up to 24" away so not to burn the tops.

That would really limit my space for the plants to grow tall and still be ok at the last two weeks so they dont get a burn.

This is why i was looking into the different light setups.

sky high

sky high

A few questions/comments if I may...

What kinda set up is in there now?

Why tall plants and no hoods?

How many plants are you thinking? Hydro? Soil? Sativa? Indica?

It seems like the space is screaming for a SCROG/SOG. Well lit (as you are obviously planning to do) you would have hard nugs from top to bottom in such a scenario.

If I were going to try to go taller...I would give thought to t-5 or t-8 sidelighting along with reflectors/toplighting.

good luck

s h

B

Bobby Smith

Weird sized space.

I'd probably go with two 600s - are you looking for a setup you can maximize for efficiency, or do you have a set # number in mind that you need to get to?

If it were me and it was just for personal smoke, I'd slap a 1K in there with a T8 in each corner and call it a day.

Either way, all of your options are serious lighting overkill, IMO - FYI, it's really hard to make a square lighting configuration with less than four lights; that being said, a well done SCROG under 4 400s would work well in there as well.

Yeah, I vote for either a 1K with T8s in the corners or 4 400s.

Final answer.

B

Bobby Smith

Maybe not my final answer.............you could do two or three 600s (four if you wanted to be hardcore about it) stacked vertically in the middle of the room and have plants all up and down the walls (kinda like my avatar) - that'd be the only way I could think of to get the most out of the wattage you're suggesting.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

1500W master blaster would illuminate this space perfect with a single light point so you could get a nice 5x5 spread.

G

Going4Green

What kinda set up is in there now? Right now i have everything in there flower, veg, and working area. Changing it up for flowering only. My light setup i have available and will probably just be using for the next grow is the Growzilla with 2 400 hps.

Why tall plants and no hoods? Not necessary tall plants but want enough room for any strain and for them to veg for long enough to be around 2 ft before flowering. No hoods, just have 14,000 btu on order so need for the ducing. Sealed room

How many plants are you thinking? Hydro? Soil? Sativa? Indica? Right now i am just going to go with 8, i have up to 12 i can grow but money and trying to get the room good before overwhelming my self is key i think. Will be going both ways Coco and Hydro compare both, two grows witch each strain at least. Both indica and sativa will be grown in the room but only one at a time and only one strain at a time.

are you looking for a setup you can maximize for efficiency, or do you have a set # number in mind that you need to get to? Yea i guess you can say i am going for maximized for efficiency. No set number besides the wattage has been thought of, and of course not looking for small harvest.

I

ibTheMan

1=1000w digital in a xxxl 6 hood will be what you want,trust me you dont need any more in a 5x5,not one little bite. click it to super lumens.

J

jakew215

1=1000w digital in a xxxl 6 hood will be what you want,trust me you dont need any more in a 5x5,not one little bite. click it to super lumens.

1k. this guy is speakin the truth

2k would be a lot. id run 2k in a 5x8 room.

this room is 5.5'x6.5' single thousand in a magnum.

the screen is 5x5'

http://i40.invalid.com/albums/e243/jakew88/MyGrow/IMG_0740.jpg

G

Going4Green

1k. this guy is speakin the truth

2k would be a lot. id run 2k in a 5x8 room.

this room is 5.5'x6.5' single thousand in a magnum.

the screen is 5x5'

http://i40.invalid.com/albums/e243/jakew88/MyGrow/IMG_0740.jpg

Looks good!!

I would run 2 1000s if i go that way.

St3ve

St3ve

I agree with Bob.. 4-400's.

In that small of space you're going to be running pretty compact with not much light getting through the canopy. So I wouldn't bother with the 1k really as the main benefit is penetration. 400's will be able to sit closer to the canopy, get a very even light spread, and be pretty easy to control the temp. If you really want the wattage then 4-600's will also work great.

also.. if you're getting new ballasts then I would go digital with dimmers. That way you can run the 4-400's to get used to things, then try some 600's for comparison.

J

jakew215

Looks good!!

I would run 2 1000s if i go that way.

stuffing another 1k in that room would be a nightmare. i dont see why you think you need more than 1k for such a small room.

1k per 4x4-5x5 is standard. you can ask thousands of people and generally your gonna get that answer.

like 12 of the 15 people that posted suggested 1000 WATTS TOTAL. then the other three im guesing have never done what they are suggesting and dont really have any real world experience with growing flat in spaces like this, but whatev.

like for the 15th time 1000w should be plenty... wanna grow more weed? get a bigger space. you try stuffing 3-4 lbs in a 5x5 area and your gonna have mold/bug all kinds of problems... just my .02 though. good luck.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

You want a minimum of 50w per sq/ft to have a successful grow. 60 is even better. 1500w divided by 25sq/ft = 60w sq/ft. A 1000 is good for a 4x4 space period. If you want to maximize your area get the 1500w master blaster ... it will be a huge difference and you will get way better penetration. Just set a couple up at my buddys house and they are awesome. He is doing a 5x10 scrog with 2 lights and using a piece of 5x10 concrete reinforcing wire. His shit is tight! Huge nugs ...

St3ve

St3ve

wow jake, your pretty offensive there. Feel free to give your own opinion bud but no need to be negative about others'.

J

jakew215

wow jake, your pretty offensive there. Feel free to give your own opinion bud but no need to be negative about others'.

just stating that cooling 4 400s is not easy.

sorry for you taking offense to that.

St3ve

St3ve

thank you for apologizing.. :)

and yes it was that, and going on to say "then the other three im guesing have never done what they are suggesting and dont really have any real world experience with growing flat in spaces like this, but whatev. " which is an awful lot of assumptions.

I for one have plenty of experience with both horizontal growing and different horizontal lighting scenarios in this size room. But my opinion is mine, and yours is yours.

RoCK

/bonghit

J

jakew215

thank you for apologizing.. :)

and yes it was that, and going on to say "then the other three im guesing have never done what they are suggesting and dont really have any real world experience with growing flat in spaces like this, but whatev. " which is an awful lot of assumptions.

I for one have plenty of experience with both horizontal growing and different horizontal lighting scenarios in this size room. But my opinion is mine, and yours is yours.

RoCK

/bonghit

you really think cooling 4 400s will be easy?

and i stated that whomever says that 1k per 4x4 area isnt standard in most flat growing gardens doesnt know much about growing.

nothing i stated was that outrageous

L

Lost

You have 4 ballasts to cool as well as 4 points of heat generation with the 400's. If you have a trust fund, buy the master blaster. Otherwise 1-2 1000's would rock.. Use some dual arc bulbs..

Latest posts

Top Bottom