Light size??

• Thread starter Twisted 1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Twisted 1

Hello All,
Even thou I wont be growing again for awhile, I have been thinking alot about the area I have to work with, and how to make it the best I can. I also want it to be easily torn down and etc. I'd like your .02 on my ideas. Critisism is welcomed, but be nice:)

Ok here goes:
I basicly have a room in my basement that is 5 x 5 x 7. Inside that room, Im planning on using a 2 x 3 x 6' grow tent for flowering and using a small cabinet I have for veg. I'll be buying all new equip this round.

My Q is about light size for the flowering tent. 6 square feet. I recently asked around about the temp diff. between a 400 and a 600w hood. I found there is very little diff, so Im not sure which to use?? A 400 would give me 66.7w per square foot...which would be great, or a 600 which would give me 100. I will be running a 6" cool tube either way. Would 600 be to much?? I will also be running a Lumetek ballast OUTSIDE the grow tent.

I plan on using a 4" Vortex fan inside the grow tent to vent the cool tube and scrub the air with a 4" Mountain Air carbon filter. I think this should be plenty for a 400. For a 600, I might get a 6" fan.

All of that scrubbed air from the grow tent will be vented into the main 5 x 5 room. I will have a 4" Vortex fan with a 4" Mountian Air carbon filter scrubbing the air a 2nd time before its vented outside.

Ok thats about it. What do you see that could be improved on or etc??

Thanks, Peace

R

Rural_GrowOp

No the 600 wouldn't be too much. If it were me I'd definitely go with the 600. The more watts/sq.ft the better your yields will be. I think you have a good idea on what you want and the best way to utilize your space.

K

kansasgrown

The 600 will be your ticket. I am a little concerned about using a 4 inch vortex pulling thru a carbon filter and a 6" cool tube but if your temps stay down....all is good. I'd probably get the 6 inch fan though. Get yourself some yo-yo's if you do not already have them to get the cool tube down to the canopy...and happy growing.

T

Twisted 1

thanks you guys...

Kansasgrown...sup man...nice to see a fellow midwestern grower. Someones got to grow some good smoke for all of us not in the East or West coast!! lol
Are you worried about the reduction in size from 4 to 6 from the filter to the hood and then to the fan?? That was something that I have been kicking around. It makes sense to use a 6" and then use my speed controller to turn it down. It will be quieter that way. I will prob order a 4" and the same filter which im gonna use for the room, and try it out in the tent with the light WAY before I actually have a garden in there. If it stays cool in there I will go with the 4"...if not, well then I guess its the 6".

I have decided to buy a Secret Jardin dark room instead of the HTG one. It seems to be the best of the best.

O

Old Yeller

Twisted 1 - I've been using S&P inline fans for about 1 year & i like them over Vortex for their quietness & built in 2 speed configuration + i think they run cheaper than the Vortex's.

I'm cooling a 3'x5' stairwell with a 600w hps in a batwing using the 4" S&P TD-100x on a 5"x25" carbon filter with no problems.
My 1100w Sunhut XL tent is cooled with the 6" S&P TD-150 on a Carbonaire 4" c/f & is still quieter than the 6" Vortex i have.
Some food for thought...

T

Twisted 1

Thanks Old Yeller
I was actually looking at some from that site. They were blue.

Its cool they offer a 5" cause the grow tent I want only has 5" openings.

Thanks again

Top Bottom