light source during germination

• Thread starter Zweibel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zweibel

Zweibel

Most of what I have read about germination says that it should take place in a dark, warm and humid environment. However, the instructions of my grow lamp and a couple of YouTube videos say you can also switch on your grow lights (dimmed and/or not too close) immediately after dropping the seed in the soil. This makes sense to me, as sunlight would be present in nature. Any thoughts on this?

wtfdaemon

wtfdaemon

I always germinate in paper towels wetted with distilled water between two paper plates, in a nice warm spot. Transfer to soil/cube after all are well-sprouted, and then run mild light at low intensity, or leave exposed to ambient light in the room. I feel like it helps the sprout take off the right direction and gives it some encouragement to split the shell and get a healthy pair of cotyledon leaves asap.

Long as you don't burn them or overwater, pretty much anything works.

Zweibel

Zweibel

Thank you, wtfdaemon. I left the lights on (18/6) and believe I can now see the shoot poking through, so it appears the soil covering provides sufficient darkness. I now have another one in paper towels inside a zip bag sitting on my router. I'm hoping this will work just as well.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I always germinate in paper towels wetted with distilled water between two paper plates, in a nice warm spot. Transfer to soil/cube after all are well-sprouted, and then run mild light at low intensity, or leave exposed to ambient light in the room. I feel like it helps the sprout take off the right direction and gives it some encouragement to split the shell and get a healthy pair of cotyledon leaves asap.

Long as you don't burn them or overwater, pretty much anything works.
I do the same.

OP Root direction is influenced by gravitropism so they will always grow down. Light should be very low at first and no dome. don't worry about stretch that has more to do with spectrum than intensity at this stage and when you transplant you can just bury it a bit deeper. What you dont wanna do is light burn them and cause them to stunt for a week or more. I use a light meter app to get me kinda ballpark and verify my light intensity. Its for android and its called "Light Meter" by my mobile tools dev. for seedlings 5-7K lux and your good. This app does not work with blurple lights for those reading

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Technically no light is required if there's no plant to recieve it 🤣 Other than that, pretty common sense my friend 😉

Cheers!

Bosshogg

Bosshogg

I have been growing outdoors for 30+ years and have always used the paper towel method with no worries. It is important not to rush the germ, dont plant until there is at least 3/4 of an inch of tap root protruding thru the seed. Then no light until the plant sheds the seed hull.

50A08C17 AD79 4D44 89BB 7D9FAE18C429
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have been growing outdoors for 30+ years and have always used the paper towel method with no worries. It is important not to rush the germ, dont plant until there is at least 3/4 of an inch of tap root protruding thru the seed. Then no light until the plant sheds the seed hull.
I don't find light matters it doesn't go through the soil but i agree its not needed until they break the soil 👍 Just add plant tap root down so that the seed itself is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep

Latest posts

Top Bottom